Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Tesla in Montreal, No access to parking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, new here. I'm considering buying a Tesla model 3 standard range plus in April but I have an issue. I live in the heart of Montreal city and do not have access to parking. This would be the first time I'd be buying a car in many years as well as the first EV I've ever owned. I am curious to know if there are other Tesla owners in Montreal that get by on a similar situation. I am really sold on getting a Tesla however in my current situation I don't want to end up making a really inconvenient mistake. I'm concerned about keeping my car charged while parked in the city without having a set parking space at night to charge. I'd be most likely getting a parking permit and using street parking however my schedule is fairly lenient so I don't foresee charging at a super charger at night to be an issue. The other issue I have is that Montreal is notorious for parking tickets, have other owners run into a similar issue with street parking/charging and being ticketed in the city or would my permit protect me against that? I've also heard that Teslas have a rough time in the winter, this shouldn't be an issue for some time as I plan to buy after the snow melts but with a street parking situation I imagine this would be something to think about as well as I see myself continuing to live in my location for at least one more winter. Lastly for people who street park how often does your car get damaged or messed with. I understand Tesla has Sentry mode and I am not too concerned with capturing an event however should I leave sentry mode on with street parking? Would it drain the battery? Also in general do people mess with Teslas and Charging spots in the city? I've heard that that is also a fairly frequent thing. I'm really excited at the opportunity to buy a Tesla, I've been wanting one for years and finally have the money set aside to comfortably buy one with the full FSD, I just hope my living situation doesn't create more problems than it's worth.

Sorry for all the questions, really appreciate the answers.

(moderator note: your question is specific to canada, so moved this to the canada sub forum)
=========================

personal opinion inc, not moderation content

I am not sure what the driver is for you wanting a vehicle in general, or a tesla specifically, but your statement "I dont want to make a really inconvenient mistake" is what I feel you would be doing if you were to buy one in that situation.

Every car is not for every person, and you would have to be buying the vehicle KNOWING you would be inconveniencing yourself quite a bit, and prepared to deal with that. I would say this is a hard no, if it were me, but its not me.

Teslas are great winter cars. Just as good or better than my old bmw in Montréal. Especially the dual motor.

not sure about street parking without an easy way to charge overnight though.

I used to street park downtown. You have to accept a bit of cosmetic damage is inevitable.

I bought my m3 in nov 2018 and i used to live on blvd Saint Joseph in Montreal.
Charging was a none issue as i had a circuit electrique close by.
What bothered me was the couple scratches i collected in the street. I was using a sticker, and i never had an issue to park.
The only reason i ended up renting a spot was because of the scratches.

So if i were you, unless you want to keep the car immaculate, i wouldn't worry.

I used to live in MTL but moved to the burbs a while a go. Let me start by saying I was shocked at the battery drain in the winter. Range anxiety is definitely a thing in the winter but I can see this getting much better in the summer. It already is with slightly milder temps.

One thing I do remember when I lived in the city and used street parking was plowing my way out of a parking spot after a big snowfall. I vowed to never get anything but an AWD car in the future. I currently also have the SR+ but don't have any parking issues as I go from heated garage to heated garage. Tesla has done a superb job with the RWD, but given our environment, AWD/Dual motor is the way to go.

I had the opportunity to drive the Long Range Dual Motor last weekend during the big snowfall and it's a world of difference for range and handling especially in snow. I don't think warmer weather will make much of a difference besides the obvious boost in acceleration. If you can afford it, get the long range, otherwise best of luck. IMO, charging becomes a hassle if you need to go supercharger daily.

I used to live in MTL but moved to the burbs a while a go. Let me start by saying I was shocked at the battery drain in the winter. Range anxiety is definitely a thing in the winter but I can see this getting much better in the summer. It already is with slightly milder temps.

One thing I do remember when I lived in the city and used street parking was plowing my way out of a parking spot after a big snowfall. I vowed to never get anything but an AWD car in the future. I currently also have the SR+ but don't have any parking issues as I go from heated garage to heated garage. Tesla has done a superb job with the RWD, but given our environment, AWD/Dual motor is the way to go.

I had the opportunity to drive the Long Range Dual Motor last weekend during the big snowfall and it's a world of difference for range and handling especially in snow. I don't think warmer weather will make much of a difference besides the obvious boost in acceleration. If you can afford it, get the long range, otherwise best of luck. IMO, charging becomes a hassle if you need to go supercharger daily.

Is AWD really that much better than STD RWD. I settled with Standard Model Y but now will have to look into Mach E given Model Y std not for sale anymore.

Is AWD really that much better than STD RWD. I settled with Standard Model Y but now will have to look into Mach E given Model Y std not for sale anymore.
Yes and yes. I've had an Audi and BMW with Quattro and X-Drive respectively and they both performed better than RWD on the M3 on snow. The long range dual motor I had last week did show a significant improvement and made driving on snow more fun vs. worrisome. I will however say that the RWD on this car performs quite impressively. It's not a super big issue for me as the streets where I live are almost always cleaned the next day. But if I did have the choice and didn't want to lose the EV incentive in Quebec, I would've got the dual motor. It just didn't make sense financially since I'd lose the 8k incentive in Quebec and pay an extra 12k for the long range. That's a 20k difference. I can live with RWD for now. :)

Reactions: duanra
Yes and yes. I've had an Audi and BMW with Quattro and X-Drive respectively and they both performed better than RWD on the M3 on snow. The long range dual motor I had last week did show a significant improvement and made driving on snow more fun vs. worrisome. I will however say that the RWD on this car performs quite impressively. It's not a super big issue for me as the streets where I live are almost always cleaned the next day. But if I did have the choice and didn't want to lose the EV incentive in Quebec, I would've got the dual motor. It just didn't make sense financially since I'd lose the 8k incentive in Quebec and pay an extra 12k for the long range. That's a 20k difference. I can live with RWD for now. :)

Turns out that Model Y STD RWD is still available as off menu item at the moment. Given that Toronto Snow can be foot long easily. I wonder if i should dig in at RWD Model Y. (I actually scrapped my thought of upgrading before model Y was “discontinued”). I used to drive S2000, never had any issues maybe cause manual drive truly is THE transmission, that car really is something during freaking snow storm on the highway. All i tell myself is “DON”T STOP” on the highway, I know that once i stop, I would be stuck. Wow that was some night. Come to think of it, if i can have that kind of control with a RWD Tesla, It would probably be as good as a FWD car or slightly better.

In Ottawa, ON, SR+, with no charger, but heated rental condo garage. I have been level 2 charging when i go to the gym. Not a big deal breaker.

In Montreal, there are level 2 chargers almost everywhere (just check on Electric Circuit), you can park there and charge it over night if need be. Sentry mode uses 20-30km a day.

The real big headache I foresee is just finding somewhere to park in the winter (especially during snow-clearing) and worry about street debris.

In Ottawa, ON, SR+, with no charger, but heated rental condo garage. I have been level 2 charging when i go to the gym. Not a big deal breaker.

In Montreal, there are level 2 chargers almost everywhere (just check on Electric Circuit), you can park there and charge it over night if need be. Sentry mode uses 20-30km a day.

The real big headache I foresee is just finding somewhere to park in the winter (especially during snow-clearing) and worry about street debris.
I totally agree, and that is no different than with a regular car. But again, once you have your sticker, you'll find a spot to park.

Agreed. Definitely a lot of level 2 chargers in MTL. But correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe you can park overnight since once the car is no longer charging, you are still getting charged $$$ ??? I've only charged on street level 2 a few times and it was only for 20-30mins. Never got into a situation where the car wasn't charging anymore.

I don't live down town so can't comment on downtown parking and charging but the RWD in the snow is not an issue at all. Went from an audi a6 to a Y and yes it's not as good as a 4wd but pretty impressed with the RWD traction and stability.

As long as the L2 charger continues to bill you instead of you getting a ticket, I don't see the problem of parking there overnight. Yes, it will cost a few dollars. It's still less that buying fuel for an ICE car, and it gives you a parking spot in an area where it's tough to park. Win-win if you ask me :)

I have an SR+ in Montreal, great in the snow and I also have an X drive BMW...

But with only street parking it will be a real pain in the winter, takes a lot of energy just parked to keep the battery warm in extreme cold.

I had one of the first leafs in 2012 and made it work with 50km range in winter, but without access to charging at home over night, I wouldn’t do it.