Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Unplugged Performance vs Mountain Pass Performance suspension and installation.

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
United States
Hey guys,

Just looking at their respective web sites, similar price, similar promises about ride and handling improvements...

It looks like the Mountain Pass Performance system uses separate springs and shocks in the rear similar to the stock suspension system where the Unplugged Performance system uses a coilover conversion in the rear instead of a separate spring and shock.

Anyone do their own installation on either of these aftermarket suspensions? I have done fully adjustable coilover kits on two different Miata's, and drop springs on a couple other cars, so unless there are unforeseen complicating factors I feel I could do this myself... but I would love to have the insight of other owners installation experiences.

Also, thoughts on the ease of adjustment on each system? I would like to be able to make adjustments easily to change from "daily driver" mode to "spirited driving" mode.

Thanks,

Keith

miracj

2021 Model Y LR AWD
Jul 15, 2021
Waltham, MA
Hey guys,

Just looking at their respective web sites, similar price, similar promises about ride and handling improvements...

It looks like the Mountain Pass Performance system uses separate springs and shocks in the rear similar to the stock suspension system where the Unplugged Performance system uses a coilover conversion in the rear instead of a separate spring and shock.

Anyone do their own installation on either of these aftermarket suspensions? I have done fully adjustable coilover kits on two different Miata's, and drop springs on a couple other cars, so unless there are unforeseen complicating factors I feel I could do this myself... but I would love to have the insight of other owners installation experiences.

Also, thoughts on the ease of adjustment on each system? I would like to be able to make adjustments easily to change from "daily driver" mode to "spirited driving" mode.

Thanks,

Keith
Look at Redwood MotorSports coilovers too. They use Ohlins DFV technology, and are easier to adjust the rear, but are more expensive. However, I think I think you will find vast improvement over the stock suspension whichever you choose.

Fourdoor

May 31, 2016
United States
Look at Redwood MotorSports coilovers too. They use Ohlins DFV technology, and are easier to adjust the rear, but are more expensive. However, I think I think you will find vast improvement over the stock suspension whichever you choose.
I knew there was a third good option, thanks for reminding me of the name. Any thoughts on the difference between upgraded rear spring and shock vs replacing the rear setup with a coilover system?

Thanks,

Keith

miracj

2021 Model Y LR AWD
Jul 15, 2021
Waltham, MA
I knew there was a third good option, thanks for reminding me of the name. Any thoughts on the difference between upgraded rear spring and shock vs replacing the rear setup with a coilover system?

Thanks,

Keith
I'm pretty sure everyone who has a coilover system made for a Model Y will tell you it's a lot better with it. There are people here on the board who did have just the springs, and later changed to coilovers.

Pianewman

Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
Fourdoor: Have you searched through the various threads on coilovers? Yes, it's tedious, but your questions have been answered many times in the past year.

52 16 57 39

BioDiesel & Electrons
Nov 20, 2020
Tacoma, WA
My MYP has the UPP moderate 1” drop springs - installed by me in my garage. Done similar wrenching on other cars, VWs & Mazdas.

At the time - UPP was the only option for me in July of 2020, so I did it. No major regrets, as I appreciate the lessened wheel well gap and better stance.

If I could do it over, I’d save more and do a coilover setup but at this point in the game I’ll stick w what I got so I don’t spend too much more money 💰.

gadgetfreaky

Jun 10, 2021
los angeles, ca
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Keith
I just posted in the other thread some videos if me doing 19-25mph over wide speed bumps with the touring redwood ohlins. They are awesome.Post in thread 'Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!' Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC