Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Unplugged Performance vs Mountain Pass Performance suspension and installation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just looking at their respective web sites, similar price, similar promises about ride and handling improvements...

It looks like the Mountain Pass Performance system uses separate springs and shocks in the rear similar to the stock suspension system where the Unplugged Performance system uses a coilover conversion in the rear instead of a separate spring and shock.

Anyone do their own installation on either of these aftermarket suspensions? I have done fully adjustable coilover kits on two different Miata's, and drop springs on a couple other cars, so unless there are unforeseen complicating factors I feel I could do this myself... but I would love to have the insight of other owners installation experiences.

Also, thoughts on the ease of adjustment on each system? I would like to be able to make adjustments easily to change from "daily driver" mode to "spirited driving" mode.

Thanks,

Keith

Hey guys,

Just looking at their respective web sites, similar price, similar promises about ride and handling improvements...

It looks like the Mountain Pass Performance system uses separate springs and shocks in the rear similar to the stock suspension system where the Unplugged Performance system uses a coilover conversion in the rear instead of a separate spring and shock.

Anyone do their own installation on either of these aftermarket suspensions? I have done fully adjustable coilover kits on two different Miata's, and drop springs on a couple other cars, so unless there are unforeseen complicating factors I feel I could do this myself... but I would love to have the insight of other owners installation experiences.

Also, thoughts on the ease of adjustment on each system? I would like to be able to make adjustments easily to change from "daily driver" mode to "spirited driving" mode.

Thanks,

Keith
Look at Redwood MotorSports coilovers too. They use Ohlins DFV technology, and are easier to adjust the rear, but are more expensive. However, I think I think you will find vast improvement over the stock suspension whichever you choose.

Look at Redwood MotorSports coilovers too. They use Ohlins DFV technology, and are easier to adjust the rear, but are more expensive. However, I think I think you will find vast improvement over the stock suspension whichever you choose.
I knew there was a third good option, thanks for reminding me of the name. Any thoughts on the difference between upgraded rear spring and shock vs replacing the rear setup with a coilover system?

Thanks,

Keith

I knew there was a third good option, thanks for reminding me of the name. Any thoughts on the difference between upgraded rear spring and shock vs replacing the rear setup with a coilover system?

Thanks,

Keith
I'm pretty sure everyone who has a coilover system made for a Model Y will tell you it's a lot better with it. There are people here on the board who did have just the springs, and later changed to coilovers.

My MYP has the UPP moderate 1” drop springs - installed by me in my garage. Done similar wrenching on other cars, VWs & Mazdas.

At the time - UPP was the only option for me in July of 2020, so I did it. No major regrets, as I appreciate the lessened wheel well gap and better stance.

If I could do it over, I’d save more and do a coilover setup but at this point in the game I’ll stick w what I got so I don’t spend too much more money 💰.

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Keith
I just posted in the other thread some videos if me doing 19-25mph over wide speed bumps with the touring redwood ohlins. They are awesome.Post in thread 'Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!' Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

Looking to get Coilovers for my M3P which is scheduled for delivery at the end of the month. I have looked at the threads, but can't find a working link to Redwood MotorSports coilovers. If anyone has a working link to their website or any website with price info I would appreciate it.

Reactions: SuperQ
We had UPP lowering springs installed on our YP over the summer of 2020. You can't tell the car is any lower and the springs make a squeaking sound when you turn the steering wheel at low speeds. We were one of the first to get the springs so maybe they fixed it but I would never get them again. Complete waste of money. We have two YP's, one lowered and one not. You literally can't tell the difference.

I just wanted to clarify that every coilover system I have seen for the Model 3 and Y has been a "divorced" setup in the rear. Meaning that the spring and damper are separate. Converting to a true coilover in the rear would reduce tire clearance and put more load and NVH into the strut tower in the rear.

I just wanted to clarify that every coilover system I have seen for the Model 3 and Y has been a "divorced" setup in the rear. Meaning that the spring and damper are separate. Converting to a true coilover in the rear would reduce tire clearance and put more load and NVH into the strut tower in the rear.
All of the pictures on unplugged performance for their "Luxury" (both sport or comfort option) coilover suspension show a "true" coilover setup for the rear shocks / springs without the "divorced" setup. It is possible that they are using "generic" pictures but if so that would be mind blowing to me. Their "race" and "dirt and snow" coilover systems have pictures of a divorced style rear setup.

Keith

All of the pictures on unplugged performance for their "Luxury" coilover suspension show a "true" coilover setup for the rear shocks / springs without the "divorced" setup. It is possible that they are using "generic" pictures but if so that would be mind blowing to me.

Keith
Hi Keith,

I think that the person taking the photos may not have understood how they are installed. The springs are sitting on the rear dampers, but you can see the rear spring perches and spring cups just to the right in the photo! The big blue things!

Hi All, random but pertinent question regarding longevity of MPP/UPP/Redwood aftermarket systems. Obviously the ride quality can benefit from these aftermarket systems, however what I'm curious about is the longevity and potential rebuildable nature of each set up. On my SUV which I lifted, unfortunately after around 50K miles of light overland and the majority of its time on pavement, my front coil over's failed. Also not able to be rebuilt either, have to replace...

The MPP's say they are re-buildable/ re-valveable in the US. MPP has no mention of it. I assume with Ohlins they are, just because of the brand.

What kind of longevity should/could you expect with this setup. In the off-roading world, most people are happy with 30K miles and a few years. I'm not. My guess is that an aftermarket system for a Y should last longer as the mass being exerted on the suspension is a lot less than a traditional ICE vehicle (Body, cab, interior, engine, transmission) In BEV the majority of the mass is in the skateboard and not pressing down on the suspension components. Obviously an assumption on my part.

Also after watching Gjeeb's video on the UPP luxury kit adjusted to 1, that has piqued my interest for really making the ride more supple.

Hi All, random but pertinent question regarding longevity of MPP/UPP/Redwood aftermarket systems. Obviously the ride quality can benefit from these aftermarket systems, however what I'm curious about is the longevity and potential rebuildable nature of each set up. On my SUV which I lifted, unfortunately after around 50K miles of light overland and the majority of its time on pavement, my front coil over's failed. Also not able to be rebuilt either, have to replace...

The MPP's say they are re-buildable/ re-valveable in the US. MPP has no mention of it. I assume with Ohlins they are, just because of the brand.

What kind of longevity should/could you expect with this setup. In the off-roading world, most people are happy with 30K miles and a few years. I'm not. My guess is that an aftermarket system for a Y should last longer as the mass being exerted on the suspension is a lot less than a traditional ICE vehicle (Body, cab, interior, engine, transmission) In BEV the majority of the mass is in the skateboard and not pressing down on the suspension components. Obviously an assumption on my part.

Also after watching Gjeeb's video on the UPP luxury kit adjusted to 1, that has piqued my interest for really making the ride more supple.
From Redwood, they said,
"When it comes to damper repair, the process is to pull the suspension from the car, break the shock towers down to the raw dampers, and then send them out either directly to Ohlins USA and get the valving done through them, or we can facilitate the process and fill out the forms for you. Either way the cost for a rebuild is $995 [for all 4 dampers]."​
Redwood also said,
"Limited Lifetime Warranty in this case, means that the mounts and all of the hardware are all covered for product defects & failures (this does not apply to cosmetic blemishes), but the dampers themselves are not, they have a more limited 2 Year Factory Warranty with Ohlins with unlimited miles."​

MPP said,
"Our comfort adjustable coil overs have a 3-year warranty. Generally you shouldn't have any issues and i think you'll find that we really stand behind our products, so I wouldn't worry too much about warranties!"​

Personally, I think UPP, MPP & Redwood are all very helpful in responding to questions, and in backing their products.

Redwood Motorsports just received training from Öhlins USA to do damper valving/assembly in-house. I would guess that means they can do rebuilds in-house now, at least for DFV series. I didn't ask if their training extends to custom builds of Öhlins' race/track level dampers.

This is very recent and I imagine Redwood hasn't updated their website yet because they're plenty busy just building up batches of new DFV kits to catch up with existing orders. Öhlins USA is/was very backlogged from high demand + COVID pandemic issues.

I believe there's a short list of Öhlins dealers in the USA with similar official training + authorization, though if/when my Redwood Öhlins DFV need a rebuild, I will probably stick with either Redwood or Öhlins USA (assuming that I stay with Redwood spec valving).

Reactions: miracj
Redwood Motorsports just received training from Öhlins USA to do damper valving/assembly in-house. I would guess that means they can do rebuilds in-house now, at least for DFV series. I didn't ask if their training extends to custom builds of Öhlins' race/track level dampers.

This is very recent and I imagine Redwood hasn't updated their website yet because they're plenty busy just building up batches of new DFV kits to catch up with existing orders. Öhlins USA is/was very backlogged from high demand + COVID pandemic issues.

I believe there's a short list of Öhlins dealers in the USA with similar official training + authorization, though if/when my Redwood Öhlins DFV need a rebuild, I will probably stick with either Redwood or Öhlins USA (assuming that I stay with Redwood spec valving).
That's great to hear about their in-house capability.

One other thing that everyone should do is to add coilover covers. Additional tips to make coilovers last longer can be found here.
How Do You Maintain Coilovers? (6 Tips) | Car Performance Boss

@SkeetShooter In terms of damper reliability, I'm no expert, but my understanding + experience is that no damper is really a lifetime part, OE or otherwise. No damper will still be providing great damping after the hundreds of thousands of miles that a modern car should last.

Sure that 200k mile soft floaty family car is probably still on its original dampers...because the people driving it just don't notice or care enough to bother & pay for replacement, not because the OE dampers are actually still good after 200k miles. If those dampers are still in spec after 200k miles it's probably because they were never very good in the first place. 😆

Whereas the kind of person who modifies their suspension and drives their car hard is probably sensitive to their dampers' performance, and will get them rebuilt or replaced as needed. Even if they're brand new OE and in spec. ;)

To put this another way, do you really care how long the OE dampers stay in spec, if you're not happy with them in the first place? :)

As for the specific dampers you're considering...Öhlins are OE on a few cars, such as the Polestar 2 Performance Package I tested in my car shopping last fall, which comes with Öhlins DFV. I trust them to have reasonably good reliability in a street application.

I haven't come across cars advertising KW suspension from the factory, but KW has a solid history and reputation for street-driven and dual use street+HPDE cars in the aftermarket. I would also trust KW's road car focused dampers to have reasonably good reliability in a street application.

Basically if Öhlins or KW's road car friendly dampers wore out excessively fast and needed constant rebuilds, I think that would be well-known by now. They're both widely used and have built up strong reputations over the years based on product quality.

UPP feels like more of an unknown. For all I know their dampers are amazing, but it's hard to trust them to the same extent as proven brands like Öhlins and KW. Plus UPP's customer service also seems inferior from what I've read. So I would pick either Redwood Öhlins or MPP KWs over UPP, and that's what I did, I went with Redwood Öhlins DFV based on how much I liked the Öhlins DFV damping in that Polestar.

Edit: Let's also be clear that the specific Öhlins and KW dampers we're talking about are street-friendly models intended for road cars that see real road mileage (with or without some track days in the mix). They're NOT the kind of dampers that pro racing teams who rebuild the whole car every year use. (I've no idea how well high end racecar dampers would hold up to street use, and I don't see any reason to find out, they'd be a complete waste and silly for a street car.)

Last edited: