Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about user profiles, keyfobs, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my car enters day #5 of production (do they work on the weekends? I'm assuming so) I had a few curiosity questions.

I understand there are user profiles. The person who did my test drive said that steering and regenerative braking systems aren't associated with the driver profiles which seems annoying, is that true? At the least I'm assuming you can have seat/mirror/steering wheel adjustments and perhaps radio presets and/or climate control settings associated?

Can the driver profiles be attached to specific keyfobs? If so, what happens if both keyfobs are in the car (e.g. me and my wife), which profile does it use?

Finally, will the car lock if one keyfob is inside but the other outside?

Yes, all those things (can't remember if the radio stations save, as I don't use them any more) are tied to a profile, along with suspension height and settings (when it drops to low, if ever) and probably other things I'm forgetting. I just looked in the manual (http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Model-S-Owners-Manual.pdf) and it doesn't do a very good job listing everything that is associated with profiles.

But, I can tell you that profiles are not tied to the key fob. Search the forum for previous discussions on this.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. Congrats on the car--you'll forget all about this profile stuff once you're in it.

As my car enters day #5 of production (do they work on the weekends? I'm assuming so) I had a few curiosity questions.

I understand there are user profiles. The person who did my test drive said that steering and regenerative braking systems aren't associated with the driver profiles which seems annoying, is that true? At the least I'm assuming you can have seat/mirror/steering wheel adjustments and perhaps radio presets and/or climate control settings associated?

Can the driver profiles be attached to specific keyfobs? If so, what happens if both keyfobs are in the car (e.g. me and my wife), which profile does it use?

Finally, will the car lock if one keyfob is inside but the other outside?
Hi Kirk! The key fobs don't have user pref's associated with them. The preferences are in the main touch screen. I have one for my husband and one for me. When I change it from his to mine my seat, mirrors, and steering wheel readjust. Nothing else that I have noticed. I see what you mean about other options though - like creep mode, steering stiffness, regen strength, etc. I can check those for you this morning and report back!

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked our settings and tweaked mine to see what changes or stays between users. Here is what I found
Controls tab---
Steering Mode - user-specific
Regen Braking - user-specific
Range Mode - user-specific
Creep Mode - doesn't change

Settings tab---
Drive-Away Door Lock - user-specific
Child-Protection Lock - user-specific
Walk-Away Door Lock - user-specific
Auto-Present Handles - user-specific
Headlights After Exit - user-specific
Mirror Auto-Tilt - user-specific
Mirror Auto-Fold - user-specific

I didn't check Traction Control as I figured that resets. Climate controls change with user. Radio stations do not.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
Nice, thanks for the research!

I'm surprised profiles aren't linked to the keyfobs like they are with most cars (I had this on my 2001 Acura). So basically whenever you get in the car you have to switch the profile to your profile if it isn't already set?

Nice, thanks for the research!

I'm surprised profiles aren't linked to the keyfobs like they are with most cars (I had this on my 2001 Acura). So basically whenever you get in the car you have to switch the profile to your profile if it isn't already set?

Correct. It's sounds worse than it is. Two quick touches: one touch to the user icon on the top of the screen opens the drop-down menu and a second touch to choose the name. Not recognizing the key fob has the advantage of more than two settings. We, for example, have one setting called "Exit" that slides the seat back for easy ingress/egress. Out of courtesy to the other driver, my wife and I will typically switch to the Exit profile as we exit the car. Some people have a profile just for the garage that disables auto lock so that they can retrieve things from the car in their garage without need to first get a key fob.

Our other vehicle doesn't have any support for user profiles. After fiddling with the seats and mirrors for five minutes every time we change drivers, I've come to believe that driver profiles are a vital feature in any future car. I'm so happy to have profiles in the Tesla that I don't mind a couple of touchscreen presses.