Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about using the emergency manual front door release on an M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several clarifications requested: i) what damage might occur when using the manual front door release on a 2019 M3 in an emergency situation? ii) is it correct to assume that the caution message that is supposed to appear on the screen could not be displayed if the 12v battery is dead? iii) if the window is partially lowered for a non-emergency trial (with 12v power functioning properly) will this still be a concern?

Several clarifications requested: i) what damage might occur when using the manual front door release on a 2019 M3 in an emergency situation?...
I don't experience an emergency yet but most of my new passengers would pull the emergency lever to open the front door and I have not seen any damage.

ii) is it correct to assume that the caution message that is supposed to appear on the screen could not be displayed if the 12v battery is dead? ...
When there's no 12V then the screen would go dark.

iii) if the window is partially lowered for a non-emergency trial (with 12v power functioning properly) will this still be a concern?

What concerns?

Reactions: Lindenwood
The mechanical door pull handle does trigger the window lowering. Looks like the possibility of damage would be if:
  • Someone pulls the handle and opens the door very quickly, before the window can automatically lower.
  • There is no electrical power to lower the window when the handle is pulled.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
The mechanical door pull handle does trigger the window lowering. Looks like the possibility of damage would be if:
  • Someone pulls the handle and opens the door very quickly, before the window can automatically lower.
  • There is no electrical power to lower the window when the handle is pulled.

Most of the warnings around not using that handle stem from when pulling the handle did not lower the window. I still would not use it regularly, but when it did not lower the window there was a chance of damage around the gasket around the window, as well as when you closed the door, the window would not be down so there was chance of damage to the window itself.

I don't experience an emergency yet but most of my new passengers would pull the emergency lever to open the front door and I have not seen any damage.

When there's no 12V then the screen would go dark.

What concerns?
My concern is the potential damage to the window seals and the windows themselves if there was no 12v power, without which the windows would not drop those few mms when the door opened. The damage might occur when the door was closed. And yes, I do recognize that if this was a life-threatening emergency (fire, rising water in the cabin, etc.) it would no doubt be the least of one's problems.

My concern is the potential damage to the window seals and the windows themselves if there was no 12v power, without which the windows would not drop those few mms when the door opened. The damage might occur when the door was closed...
Very true.

Without power, opening is not a problem.

However, you shouldn't close it until there's power to lower the glass down.

In this case you can still slam the door real hard and the glass will hit the chassis and be shattered into pieces in order to close the door.

My concern is the potential damage to the window seals and the windows themselves if there was no 12v power, without which the windows would not drop those few mms when the door opened.

If the concern is actually opening the door when there is no power (12v or otherwise) then "window seals" would not be something a person would be concerned about in that situation. You need to get out (or in) you dont really care about the window seals.

My concern is the potential damage to the window seals and the windows themselves if there was no 12v power, without which the windows would not drop those few mms when the door opened. The damage might occur when the door was closed. And yes, I do recognize that if this was a life-threatening emergency (fire, rising water in the cabin, etc.) it would no doubt be the least of one's problems.
One of the things the car does when before it powers off from no 12V and low HV is lower the windows a bit.....