Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about window tinting (Montreal-centric, but all welcome!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeps17

Cath Jockey in a P85
Mar 17, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Hello everyone,

I had initially not thought that I would need to tint my S's windows, but over the last few days with sunny (but not hot) weather, my kids sitting in the rear-facing seats complained that the sunlight, such as it was, was making them hot.

It's not even summer yet, so I think I'll have to put at least some form of heat-reflective membrane on the hatch and rear windows.

From what I read in other threads, I believe that a ceramic membrane is the better option.

I have two questions concerning this:

1. Does anyone know what tint levels are allowed in Quebec for the rear windows?

2. Does anyone have recommendations for Montreal businesses to perform said tinting?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Excellent heat rejection with ceramic tint. Huper optik or Pinnacle Formula One are two popular options.
http://www.formulaone.com/en/pinnacle.aspx

This article might help....

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/06/got-tinted-windows-better-be-careful-driving-in-quebec

For instance, Ontario drivers risk getting dinged heavily if they're caught hiding behind tinted glass in Quebec, where a fine can be levied if the front side windows let in less than 70% of light.

Police use a photometer "that validates the percentage of light that penetrates the window," said Gatineau police Sgt. J.P. Le May.

"You can have tinted windows at the back, but not at the front."

Good to know. Apparently Ottawa drivers have been fined when they drive into Quebec and get stopped. I'm told they even have a gadget to measure the tint!

I have heard something like this too. However, some for some police it is 'subjective' - I guess it depends on their mood. Also, if you have a light colour interior, the tint doesn't look as dark.

In Toronto, if you get pulled over and have dark tint, it's a good idea to turn on the dome lights and open ur window before the cop approaches.

I have heard something like this too. However, some for some police it is 'subjective' - I guess it depends on their mood. Also, if you have a light colour interior, the tint doesn't look as dark.

In Toronto, if you get pulled over and have dark tint, it's a good idea to turn on the dome lights and open ur window before the cop approaches.

In Manitoba apparently the cops have devices that measure tints. I've never seen them, but then again, I've never tinted anything before. I am thinking of doing it for my kids in the back, too.

I was told by the installer who did my tints yesterday that the legal limit in Quebec was 35% light penetration in the rear windows and 50% light penetration in the front. That's what I had installed on my car.

I hope he was right!

Hi Zax,

I looked it up on the SAAQ web site, and the law specifies that:

- the windshield cannot be tinted except for the 15cm band at the top.
- the front side windows must let 70% or more of the light pass.
- the rear seat side windows and rear hatch are not subject to any limitation.

Here is the relevant link.

Still looking for a reputable shop to apply ceramic tint in Montreal...

Hi Zax,

I looked it up on the SAAQ web site, and the law specifies that:

- the windshield cannot be tinted except for the 15cm band at the top.
- the front side windows must let 70% or more of the light pass.
- the rear seat side windows and rear hatch are not subject to any limitation.

Here is the relevant link.

Still looking for a reputable shop to apply ceramic tint in Montreal...

Hmmm... so that means my 50% is NOT legal? I guess they just don't stop people for that 20%. However, had I installed 35% (which is 35% past the legal limit), they might have pulled me over, and that's why I chickened out of installing it so dark although it would have looked amazing! :)