Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions after 1 week owning my 2022 MXP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to love this rocket ship. But there are some issues...

1. My Sirius XM radio should come with a month free, right? Regardless of what SiriusXM channel I select, no audio comes out. There are no error messages either, and all the other audio sources work fine when they are selected. Is something broken there?

2. I got a custom horn sound working by replacing the existing thumbdrive with an exFAT formatted thumbdrive with my WAV files in the "Boombox" folder. It works but then disables itself after powering off the car. How to keep this setting?

3. Also I got the idea of just putting a new "Boombox" folder on the thumbdrive that came with my MXP (the one used to store camera recordings) but the MXP just doesnt recognize my WAV audio files in there. How to make that work, as I'd like to keep camera recording and also use custom horn sounds?

4. Is it possible to change the PWS audio to something custom? There are some youtube videos showing how to do this with other Teslas but the instructions dont seem to apply to my MXP.

5. Cruise control is seriously wonky.. I can be on cruise control going the speed limit going down a 2 lane hwy (1 lane 1 direction, and the other lane the other direction) and all by myself no other vehicles, and on a straightaway no curves at all, and as soon as an opposing vehicle appears coming my direction, when it gets close enough my MXP flips out and puts on my breaks. This has GOT to stop.

6. Please PLEASE tell me how I can just disable this regen breaking.

I want to love this rocket ship. But there are some issues...

1. My Sirius XM radio should come with a month free, right? Regardless of what SiriusXM channel I select, no audio comes out. There are no error messages either, and all the other audio sources work fine when they are selected. Is something broken there?
Sounds like it. Time to book up Service Center.
  1. Cruise control is seriously wonky.. I can be on cruise control going the speed limit going down a 2 lane hwy (1 lane 1 direction, and the other lane the other direction) and all by myself no other vehicles, and on a straightaway no curves at all, and as soon as an opposing vehicle appears coming my direction, when it gets close enough my MXP flips out and puts on my breaks. This has GOT to stop.
Tesla is working on it. I hope you realize that you are not buying a consumer-quality cruise control. It's beta. Your experience above is consistent with a product that needs beta testers to work out all the bugs.
  1. Please PLEASE tell me how I can just disable this regen breaking.
Are you talking about predictable regen braking (the car consistently and predictably slows down when you take your foot off the pedal) or unpredictable phantom brakes/false slowdowns/undesirable change in speed?

For the predictable regen braking, I don't think there's a button to control it like the old days anymore.

However, there's a trick to disable regen braking: Fully charge your battery or very cold weather but it's only temporary because your battery will not remain full and will not be cold after you drive off.

For the unpredictable phantom brakes/false slowdowns/undesirable change in speed, Tesla is working on it. It might help if you disable the cruise control/Autopilot/FSD.

I don't believe tesla will fix the phantom braking issues on their own. I don't believe it's possible with current vision only hardware to have reliable TACC without radar. My opinion is that if you want Tesla to fix this, they'll need to be forced to fix it through a recall which means everyone experiencing this needs to file an NHTSA complaint.

Reactions: advocate8
thanks for the replies. maybe Ill try to organize an NHTSA action from this board.

but I just dont understand that while they work out their issues with the computer vision, we cant just have a stupid/basic cruise control that just maintains a constant speed thats not adaptive, with no radar/visual input.

im not even annoyed at the state of FSD or autopilot or is adaptive/reactive abilities. Cruise control itself is not hard its been around since 1948. The fact I cant have this most basic function that is ancient in technology terms at this point is absolutely insane and makes me think about just selling this thing its so infuriating.

Reactions: sorka
I don't believe tesla will fix the phantom braking issues on their own. I don't believe it's possible with current vision only hardware to have reliable TACC without radar. My opinion is that if you want Tesla to fix this, they'll need to be forced to fix it through a recall which means everyone experiencing this needs to file an NHTSA complaint.
Phantom braking has been happening way before Tesla went with vision only. When I drove a vision only car, it performed really bad at night.

My model S has never once had a phantom braking episode. Show me a reference to anyone who claimed phantom breaking and was using TACC only and not AP.
are you saying my settings are wrong? I dont GaS about tacc/ap/fsd or any of that. just want simple stupid cruise control with no phantom breaking.. are you saying you've got some setting in your MS that gives you that functionality?

I’ve had phantom breaking on AP1, it’s not just a problem for Tesla Vision, but it is worse with the beta software and will be solved. Static speed cruise is dangerous—not going to happen.

I’ve had phantom breaking on AP1, it’s not just a problem for Tesla Vision, but it is worse with the beta software and will be solved. Static speed cruise is dangerous—not going to happen.
how is it dangerous? its been defacto standard for nearly 50 years; I wasnt aware of any NTSB reports with counts/percentages of a lot of wrecks out there due to old school cruise control on grandma's chevy.