Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions after 1 week owning my 2022 MXP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TACC on my 2018 MX has terrible phantom braking. Seems to be much worse with the 10.1 FSD software than it was before I got FSD. And yes I mean just TACC, not AP. TACC phantom braking is extremely bad on 2 lane rural highways (which is all I drive) with this latest software. I've basically quit using TACC or AP due to the extremely frequent and aggressive phantom braking. A friend with a Model S that drives the same roads has no problems (but I'm not sure if he has the FSD software).

To the OP: which software version are you running? (I am running 2021.44.30.21)

To the folks that think phantom braking with TACC is atypical, that is certainly not my experience.

I'll just wait for the next major software version. It took 2 years for my wipers to finally work right (same deal: lots of of folks said their auto wipers worked great while mine stunk for 2 years), hopefully they can get TACC phantom braking fixed or at least improved in the next software release.

Regarding regen: that is one of the very best features of an EV. Once you get used to it, you essentially have one foot driving. The regen is fantastic when you drive windy mountain roads. Such a joy to drive the Model X (other than than the now terrible phantom braking in TACC or AP).

I'm very optimistic Tesla's engineers will get this figured out. They are setting the bar for Neural Network Artificial Intelligence applications and this stuff is as hard as it gets. It's not the Elon way to do as the OP suggested (just plain old Cruise Control / Speed Control until they get it refined). He always pushes his engineer's to their limits and beyond. We'll get there and it will be superb, but it will take some time. Beta...

Last edited:
TACC on my 2018 MX has terrible phantom braking. Seems to be much worse with the 10.1 FSD software than it was before I got FSD. And yes I mean just TACC, not AP. TACC phantom braking is extremely bad on 2 lane rural highways (which is all I drive) with this latest software. I've basically quit using TACC or AP due to the extremely frequent and aggressive phantom braking. A friend with a Model S that drives the same roads has no problems (but I'm not sure if he has the FSD software).

To the OP: which software version are you running? (I am running 2021.44.30.21)

To the folks that think phantom braking with TACC is atypical, that is certainly not my experience.

I'll just wait for the next major software version. It took 2 years for my wipers to finally work right (same deal: lots of of folks said their auto wipers worked great while mine stunk for 2 years), hopefully they can get TACC phantom braking fixed or at least improved in the next software release.

Regarding regen: that is one of the very best features of an EV. Once you get used to it, you essentially have one foot driving. The regen is fantastic when you drive windy mountain roads. Such a joy to drive the Model X (other than than the now terrible phantom braking in TACC or AP).

I'm very optimistic Tesla's engineers will get this figured out. They are setting the bar for Neural Network Artificial Intelligence applications and this stuff is as hard as it gets. It's not the Elon way to do as the OP suggested (just plain old Cruise Control / Speed Control until they get it refined). He always pushes his engineer's to their limits and beyond. We'll get there and it will be superb, but it will take some time. Beta...
mine is 2021.43.201 and yes the phantom braking is awful on it as well on the 2 lane rural highway in fact my description in the op of the conditions i was experiencing it was literally on a 2 lane rural hwy. Ive not even enabled fsd yet either though, if that matters.

The phantom braking issue is horrible, especially in areas like Ohio with fast 2-lane roads. We experienced it repeatedly within an hour of taking deliver of our new Model X and it almost made us want to take the car back to Tesla and get our old Ford back. For now I'm not using cruise on these roads, let alone autosteer, but this isn't exactly the Tesla experience is it? I'm with the OP who suggested plain old fixed speed would be better than this!