Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions after 24hrs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Canadians,

I pick up the car yesterday and have been more than impressed in the first day. It is a shock to the system to go to a Tesla from a Prius. I have a non-perf 85kw and can't imagine what I could possibly do with the extra acceleration. I can barely drive the car as it is.

After years of training with my Prius, I find it quite easy to get rated miles. However, I also find it quite easy to enjoy some Tesla only G forces.

I can't imagine ever going back to a gas car.

Some questions:

Does anyone have a tire inflator for home use? Is there a specific one you would recommend? That way I can really avoid the gas station.

The tire pressure alert has come on twice when the car is cold and then disappeared. Is this an issue?

The web browser doesn't seem to save my favorites. Am I doing something wrong?

I have to go to Huntsville for the day in about a month. The only charging station that I can find is a Chevy dealer. The distance is 213 km. I'm pretty sure I will need to charge at least partway. There is a CS 90 charger in Orillia, but that is only about halfway. Any suggestions? If I was going my gas car, I would leave early and come back same day. I would like to try and figure out a way to do the same thing with the Tesla.

Should I let my wife drive the car?

Thanks!

I too moved to a non-perf S from a Prius and the power difference is just astounding.

I think there are lots of options for tire inflators. I like the combo jumper box/inflator/light units that have their own battery pack so you can take it with you when traveling.
I use one similar to this:
Black Decker JUS500IB 500-Amp Jump Starter with Built-in Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive

That said, I'm not sure how important the jumpers are for the Model S...though it's always nice to be able to lend a hand to one of those people in an old fashion car when they need it.

Thanks!
See my thread here: My Model S was stolen...again!!

My wife has taken my Tesla out twice today, she even offered to take my kids to music lessons over my offer to do so since she could drive the Tesla. We'll be putting a deposit down for a Model X in the next couple of months....

Dear Hobiemon, I do not know how your finances are , but know this, if you let your wife drive your S it will cost you approximately 100K, cause now you will have to buy another for yourself, EXPERIENCE TALKIN. My wife wanted nothing to do with the S, It's too expensive, I'll be afraid to scartch it, it's too big for me. Apparently all those fears have been overcome, S is constantly gone.

I picked up the Viair 00073 70P Heavy Duty Portable Compressor from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012WHBSO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have been very happy with it. If your tire pressure warning is coming on then disappearing, you are likely at the low end of the acceptable inflation range. I believe the TPMS is set to alert if you fall below 10% of the recommended inflation pressure (45psi for 19", 42psi for 21"). So if your TPMS is set to 45psi, it will go off when you are below 40.5psi. The TPMS alert will go away when you come back up above 40.5, which is happening as the tires warm with driving, but that does not mean you are at 45psi or that you have nothing to worry about. Proper inflation pressure is particularly important in colder climates to protect against pothole damage. You should definitely get a good portable compressor and check your pressure frequently.

Evan wrote: "That said, I'm not sure how important the jumpers are for the Model S...though it's always nice to be able to lend a hand to one of those people in an old fashion car when they need it."

What I remember reading elsewhere on these forums is that you should not use the Model S to jump an ICE vehicle because the the Tesla's 12V battery is so much smaller than the batteries in ICEmobiles.

Evan wrote: "That said, I'm not sure how important the jumpers are for the Model S...though it's always nice to be able to lend a hand to one of those people in an old fashion car when they need it."

What I remember reading elsewhere on these forums is that you should not use the Model S to jump an ICE vehicle because the the Tesla's 12V battery is so much smaller than the batteries in ICEmobiles.
That's why I suggest the combo jumper/air compressor option. Not suggesting using the S to jump anyone. It might even be necessary to jump your own S at some point.

Does anyone have a tire inflator for home use? Is there a specific one you would recommend? That way I can really avoid the gas station.

I picked up one of these and threw it in the trunk. It has a compressor and flat repair kit, and they claim the sealant is not supposed to harm TPMS sensors. There is also the Tesla-branded kit, but the one I bought is about half the price.

For home use, any air compressor will work just fine. Get a good pressure guage such as 50406 model 50404. You might want to look at a portable one as well to carry with you.

The tire pressure alert has come on twice when the car is cold and then disappeared. Is this an issue?

No.

I have to go to Huntsville for the day in about a month. The only charging station that I can find is a Chevy dealer. The distance is 213 km. I'm pretty sure I will need to charge at least partway. There is a CS 90 charger in Orillia, but that is only about halfway. Any suggestions?

Get an RV park app. Call ahead. Ask for a 50 amp plug because the RV park operators don't understand Nema 14-50. They understand a 50 amp plug.

Depends on if you ever want to drive it again or not.

I have to go to Huntsville for the day in about a month. The only charging station that I can find is a Chevy dealer. The distance is 213 km. I'm pretty sure I will need to charge at least partway. There is a CS 90 charger in Orillia, but that is only about halfway. Any suggestions? If I was going my gas car, I would leave early and come back same day. I would like to try and figure out a way to do the same thing with the Tesla.

Thanks!

Tire pressures drop when it is cold. I recommend that you set the tire pressure at a "typical" temperature for the season, with the tires cold (i.e. you haven't driven on them for a while). You should really check your pressures at least once a month.

Use the CS-90. It's much faster than other options, if you have the dual chargers. Stop by on the way there and top up to a full Standard mode charge. Then on the way back stop in if you need it.

Congratulations, Lazman! I am still waiting but I am energized by your post. Send some pics when you get a chance!
I think your wife should drive the car - it might convey to her some of the Tesla-fever we've all been experiencing.
As for Huntsville, plan well and if it doesn't look feasible, don't Broderize. There will be other opportunities in the future once you get familiar with your car and its charging needs. Trade cars with your wife for a day!

Hello Canadians,

I pick up the car yesterday and have been more than impressed in the first day. It is a shock to the system to go to a Tesla from a Prius. I have a non-perf 85kw and can't imagine what I could possibly do with the extra acceleration. I can barely drive the car as it is.

After years of training with my Prius, I find it quite easy to get rated miles. However, I also find it quite easy to enjoy some Tesla only G forces.

I can't imagine ever going back to a gas car.

Some questions:

The web browser doesn't seem to save my favorites. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Maintaining correct tire pressures is very important in the Model S. 21" wheels = 42 lbs., 19" wheels = 45 lbs. These are higher pressures than on most other cars. Here's a really nice way to maintain your tire pressures...

• Get yourself a modest AC powered air compressor from Home Depot, Lowes or Sears. (Under $100) Most of them have a small air tank attached, but you could get by with one that has no air tank, as I did. I think mine was $75. (The small 12V compressors that plug into your car's power outlet are great for a roadside emergency, but they are not the most convenient solution for regular use.)

• Also purchase the following...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/digital+tire+inflating+gun.do?sortby=ourPicks

This inflation gun is simply the EASIEST way to accurately measure/add/remove air from your tires. Best $50 I ever spent.

• You'll also want to pick up a 50 foot air hose, and the appropriate fittings for each end. They can help you with this where you buy the compressor. Alternately, you might want to go with this nice retractable hose & reel unit which mounts on the garage wall, near the compressor, and keeps everything nice and tidy!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/auto+retracting+air+hose+reel.do?sortby=ourPicks

Last edited:
Thanks for all your helpful replies.

Resetting the 17" display fixed the favourites issue.

Next question: I was trying to figure out the energy app. I drove carefully using the 10km average. It showed the predicted km as more an the rated Km's shown on by the speedometer. If that's the case, shouldn't the dotted line be above the solid line?

Laz