Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions after a week with my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a few questions, and figured here would be the best place to input them, since most relate to the UX:

1. What is up with not being able to browse the phone's music (at least the playlists for crying out loud) on the screen?? Same for the USB media (I plugged in my iPod, and it only gave me the songs and artists, not my playlists I meticulously set up over the years) Even my 2012 Camaro let you browse stuff on the device, via the car. My Android Auto and Car Play did as well.

2. There isn't a fast forward or rewind for the song, really?? You just need a slider that responds to touch, but it is nowhere to be found.

2. Why are the 3 icons beneath your car, that can't be modified???? They seem like they're "quick toggles" but they don't do much good if you don't use them much.

3. Why is there a separate icon for charge and energy???? It feels like such a waste. Why aren't they combined??

4. Do the buttons on the steering wheel get "softer" over time???? Pressing to the right (to skip a song) seems like it takes quite a bit of effort, and I'm hoping its because the car is still new.

5. If I exit my car and it locks, but I then move within range of the car again, and the Tesla app says connected, does it initiate a wake up?? If I park close enough to the building I'm in, the app will say connected, after its locked the doors. Is it holding the car awake????

6. I got the EAP Autopilot trial, and I had NO IDEA that it doesn't stop at a light, a stop sign, or anything other than TACC and steering in the lane. I can't believe Tesla thinks they're ahead of Waymo in terms of self-driving. They're so very far behind. I can't fathom spending $500 on the tech as it is, much less $5000. The TACC is nice, but seriously, auto-steer isn't much good if you have to watch it constantly, and it won't stop at a light or a stop sign =/

6. Obviously you know about this forum since you posted here, and yet you never heard anything about how EAP functions? And the sales person didn't discuss it with you, yet you forked over $5000?

How odd.

Let me try to assure you: Normally Tesla puts out a new function with the basics and builds it up over time. Most auto companies put out their own brand of autopilot, and they don't call them Waymo, so that's all right. Tesla EAP never meant to be Waymo, which is good. Give 'em time.

1. It kind of sucks. It's definitely not a camaro. You learn to work around its shortcomings, if you try.
2. Not on the car interface. If you use your phone, there may or may not be, depending on what app you're using. I use an app called Neutron to stream from my phone, it's got big navigation buttons.
3. Because. One of the interface designers thought they were the right ones. I dunno.
4. You'll get used to it.
5. Too many questions, I dunno. Figure it out if it bothers you.
6. There's a ton of info on how EAP works, including built into the car. Read up. The FSD rant - I dunno, I didn't buy it, I don't know or care.

Enjoy your new car! And please, avail yourself of the Ask A Question form in the Manage section of your online tesla account - you can get answers direct from the source there.

6. Obviously you know about this forum since you posted here, and yet you never heard anything about how EAP functions? And the sales person didn't discuss it with you, yet you forked over $5000?

How odd.

Let me try to assure you: Normally Tesla puts out a new function with the basics and builds it up over time. Most auto companies put out their own brand of autopilot, and they don't call them Waymo, so that's all right. Tesla EAP never meant to be Waymo, which is good. Give 'em time.

You need to read a bit more....I said I got the EAP trial....which means I didn't purchase it, and I didn't test drive with one either, because I heard stories of people constantly having to take over, and it didn't make sense to. Now after using it, I'm glad I didn't. I'll wait until FSD is out, and I'll gladly pay any amount for that.

Reactions: dhrivnak
EAP is not meant to be full self-driving. It’s meant to be driver’s assist, making driving long distances or in heavy traffic much easier since the car will steer to keep in lane, and adjust speed and stop if necessary according to the traffic in front of you. EAP is a tool and when used properly, it can be very useful. Tesla drivers didn’t drive 1 billion miles using autopilot because it sucks. It’s quite the contrary, it’s the best driver’s assist system on the market for its capabilities and performance.

Don’t compare this to Waymo, Waymo is nothing but a car on rails, with extremely limited coverage area. It can not operate outside of its mapped out areas, where as EAP can operate on any highway and roads with clear lane markings. EAP can operate in any heavy traffic and save you from having to brake, go, brake, go manually.

And go at highway speeds which Waymo can’t do. It’s still in 400 person trial. FWIW for long road trips autopilot and navigate on autopilot really help
I just drove on navigate w autopilot through moderate traffic onto an imperfect cloverleaf with the beginning oblong of >90 degrees,a short straight section then a curve the rest of the 270 degrees to stop light at a merge.

It took me through the traffic onto the exit ramp between cars, slowed down for the first curve slightly hesitated then went through the rest and STOPPED at the stop light with no cars in front. It then announced that it was finished taking me.

I was shocked and my Tesla smiled and said” thank for riding w me today.”

How odd.

RE: 6... And if you read the fine print in the manual as well as when you first initiated EAP. I think with more raw data from the Billion miles Plus accumulated from Teslas using EAP, we'll see an upgrade in 2019 that - when navigating on Auto pilot, it will recognize traffic lights and, later, stop signs. Your Model 3 is evolving... unlike ICE cars that have very little ability to evolve their software over time. Your Patience and your input to Tesla will help in accelerating Tesla's overall quality improvement for all of us Tesla owners.

Hey! We're all a bunch of Beta testers for a game changing car/truck company!

I really hate seeing people complain about having to still pay attention with EAP engaged. Every time you activate it it tells you to keep your attention. It is not made to be a set and forget feature, it just eases the stress on your body when driving long distances or in heavy traffic.

Not to get political, but the recent comments from Tillerson on Trump comes to mind with the OP.

Tesla really should not have named the feature Auto Pilot.

Reactions: SMAlset
Wow it stopped at the light?!? I’ve never seen that. That’s so cool!

I just drove on navigate w autopilot through moderate traffic onto an imperfect cloverleaf with the beginning oblong of >90 degrees,a short straight section then a curve the rest of the 270 degrees to stop light at a merge.

It took me through the traffic onto the exit ramp between cars, slowed down for the first curve slightly hesitated then went through the rest and STOPPED at the stop light with no cars in front. It then announced that it was finished taking me.

I was shocked and my Tesla smiled and said” thank for riding w me today.”

EAP is not meant to be full self-driving. It’s meant to be driver’s assist, making driving long distances or in heavy traffic much easier since the car will steer to keep in lane, and adjust speed and stop if necessary according to the traffic in front of you. EAP is a tool and when used properly, it can be very useful. Tesla drivers didn’t drive 1 billion miles using autopilot because it sucks. It’s quite the contrary, it’s the best driver’s assist system on the market for its capabilities and performance.

Don’t compare this to Waymo, Waymo is nothing but a car on rails, with extremely limited coverage area. It can not operate outside of its mapped out areas, where as EAP can operate on any highway and roads with clear lane markings. EAP can operate in any heavy traffic and save you from having to brake, go, brake, go manually.

I'm not directly comparing them so much as observing the difference in AI learning. Waymo may be limited, but they did just announce a commercial launch and they will obviously expand to other markets.

And go at highway speeds which Waymo can’t do. It’s still in 400 person trial. FWIW for long road trips autopilot and navigate on autopilot really help
That I didn't know, that Waymo doesnt do high speed. Glad you pointed it out.

I haven't taken a long trip yet so I wouldn't know what that looks like, but I also suspect there is just too much traffic in LA for it to help me much. I do really enjoy the TACC, but I can't justify spending that money on it now, with promises of better features later.

RE: 6... And if you read the fine print in the manual as well as when you first initiated EAP. I think with more raw data from the Billion miles Plus accumulated from Teslas using EAP, we'll see an upgrade in 2019 that - when navigating on Auto pilot, it will recognize traffic lights and, later, stop signs. Your Model 3 is evolving... unlike ICE cars that have very little ability to evolve their software over time. Your Patience and your input to Tesla will help in accelerating Tesla's overall quality improvement for all of us Tesla owners.

Hey! We're all a bunch of Beta testers for a game changing car/truck company!

Good point. But I come from a software developer background, and generally, you don't charge someone for a beta app, you charge them for the finished, polished product. If they really wanted the data points, they'd have released it in beta form, collected the data sets, built the product, and then sold the finished one. In this way, I wouldn't think of it as paying 5K+ to be a beta tester.

I really hate seeing people complain about having to still pay attention with EAP engaged. Every time you activate it it tells you to keep your attention. It is not made to be a set and forget feature, it just eases the stress on your body when driving long distances or in heavy traffic.

Not to get political, but the recent comments from Tillerson on Trump comes to mind with the OP.

Tesla really should not have named the feature Auto Pilot.

You went a bit OT there....I don't find it relieves stress, I feel like it adds to it because I have to baby-sit the car. If I'm driving, I'm in control, I control my next action. With EAP, I'm constantly wondering if it's gonna do the right thing.

I live in a highly dense area though, so my mileage varies from what most others encounter.

Last edited: