Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for 2015 Shareholder's Meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another interesting bit of info from that video: Elon said that Tesla's data shows nearly 95% of Model S charging is done at home.
I wonder what is meant by "at home"? Did Elon really mean "Only about 5% of Model S charging is done at a Supercharger"? How would Tesla Motors know whether non-SC charging is at home, office, a friend's house, ....?

I wonder what is meant by "at home"? Did Elon really mean "Only about 5% of Model S charging is done at a Supercharger"? How would Tesla Motors know whether non-SC charging is at home, office, a friend's house, ....?

My guess is he probably meant non-Supercharging charging but if charging is done at the location programmed as home in the Nav that would be one way.

I am with DSM. I am guessing they know that most of the charging is done at home and the office friends house and all other got thrown into the " at home" category

Probably a swag - they know total miles driven & they know length of charging sessions/rate of charge at the Superchargers.

Finally got around to watching the shareholder video, and OMG, the "shareholder questions" were pretty much a disaster. Such a waste of a good opportunity to ask Elon real questions. :mad:

Like I wrote before... this happens every *&$#*!)%# year!!!

Either someone here at TMC with connections to Tesla has to convince the meeting organizers to reserve some question slots for us, or we have to figure out other ways of getting a Q&A with Elon and others.

People who participate in the forums are generally much more informed than the average shareholder showing up for an annual meeting.

Like I wrote before... this happens every *&$#*!)%# year!!!

Either someone here at TMC with connections to Tesla has to convince the meeting organizers to reserve some question slots for us, or we have to figure out other ways of getting a Q&A with Elon and others.

People who participate in the forums are generally much more informed than the average shareholder showing up for an annual meeting.

Shareholder meetings questions are for shareholders - and everyone present met that criteria and has just as much a right to get up to the mic as more informed people. While I happen to agree with the sentiment that it was wasted time, it isn't OUR (TMC) time. Not everyone on TMC is a shareholder. It would be inappropriate for Tesla to reserve shareholder time for TMC questions.

Shareholder meetings questions are for shareholders - and everyone present met that criteria and has just as much a right to get up to the mic as more informed people. While I happen to agree with the sentiment that it was wasted time, it isn't OUR (TMC) time. Not everyone on TMC is a shareholder. It would be inappropriate for Tesla to reserve shareholder time for TMC questions.

I'd suggest it would be better for all shareholders if relevant questions were asked.

It would definitely be better but it is not 'fair'. I was at the meeting with my list of 10 questions refined from suggestions by Vgrinsphun, TheShadows, Johan, Nigel, DaveT, and others (my old brain regrets not being able to quickly recall all that helped). I felt there were only 2-3 'good' questions asked at the meeting and as frustrated as I was to be near the back of the line and unable to ask a single question I respect the right of other shareholders to ask theirs.

My 'gripe' is that this is our one day in 365 days to actually ask management questions in an open forum dedicated to TM. I have sent some suggestions to 'Investor Relations' to improve the experience that include a moderator to make sure that the shareholder be limited to ONE question, not multiple ones within a question, and to limit EMs answer time to 2 minutes. While I admit some of his 'off the topic' remarks are sometimes quite illuminating I think we all agree he can get quite 'wordy':wink:. In addition, since it is one day a year I do not think giving us 90-120 minutes to ask questions is unreasonable. I have not heard back from IR....hopefully I will 'soon'. :biggrin:

It would definitely be better but it is not 'fair'. I was at the meeting with my list of 10 questions refined from suggestions by Vgrinsphun, TheShadows, Johan, Nigel, DaveT, and others (my old brain regrets not being able to quickly recall all that helped). I felt there were only 2-3 'good' questions asked at the meeting and as frustrated as I was to be near the back of the line and unable to ask a single question I respect the right of other shareholders to ask theirs.

My 'gripe' is that this is our one day in 365 days to actually ask management questions in an open forum dedicated to TM. I have sent some suggestions to 'Investor Relations' to improve the experience that include a moderator to make sure that the shareholder be limited to ONE question, not multiple ones within a question, and to limit EMs answer time to 2 minutes. While I admit some of his 'off the topic' remarks are sometimes quite illuminating I think we all agree he can get quite 'wordy':wink:. In addition, since it is one day a year I do not think giving us 90-120 minutes to ask questions is unreasonable. I have not heard back from IR....hopefully I will 'soon'. :biggrin:
I'd appreciate if you would send your list of 10 questions to investor relations and then post here what they reply. Perhaps you can even share this is a survey of questions from TMC (albeit unscientific), which represents a fair number of shareholders with a fair number of shares. Thanks in advance.

I should have been more specific. When I said "here at TMC" I meant the people here in this subforum who own shares of TSLA.

I agree that all shareholders have a right to get up to the mic and ask questions about Tesla Motors.

I believe that questions asked about SpaceX are inappropriate at a Tesla Motors shareholder meeting. I believe that individual shareholders should be limited to 1 question per person, in order to give fair access to others. If 5 investors from TMC have to get in line to ask 5 questions, that's ok with me.

I believe that the shareholder Q&A has become ridiculous, and I therefore offered my solutions. If one believes, as I do, that there is a problem, I think that solutions should be offered.

I have no qualms about TSLA shareholders here using what influence we have to get our questions asked.

If it turns out that there is no effective way to get quality questions to the Q&A, then the path forward is to abandon the shareholder meeting as any relevant platform for questions, and attempt to create our own forum. The organizers of TMC Connect have already done this to a certain extent by hosting an annual conference with some events where Tesla employees are presenters.

I'd appreciate if you would send your list of 10 questions to investor relations and then post here what they reply. Perhaps you can even share this is a survey of questions from TMC (albeit unscientific), which represents a fair number of shareholders with a fair number of shares. Thanks in advance.

These are the questions that I had. I was hoping that at least one was left to ask before I reached the mic. Some are redundant. If they had all been asked before I got my turn I probably would have asked: Can I have a job?:biggrin: I did send them to the 'general' IR mailbox. Anyone have a good link to a person in IR (PM me with it). Thanks

·Range anxiety hasmany facets.TM has done a great job ofdispelling many of them.‘The finalpiece’ would appear to be reduction in charging time at an SC to a near fullcharge in 5-10 minutes.JB indicatedabout two years ago in an interview with the MIT Tech Review that this shouldbe possible. Do you have atimeline forthis happening?

·Model 3: It willhave a new platform.At release willthere be both a sedan and suv?Anytimeline updates on the reveal and possible production of the model 3.The savings on the battery cost from theGFactory will account for what portion of the savings to get to the $35Krange.Where will any additional savingscome from?

·Since the mission statement of TM is toaccelerate the adoption of renewable energy vehicles would the acceleration notbe faster with an additional capital raise now?When do you see the next capital raise and would you ask for boardsupportto form a strategic partnershipor collaborate effort with a cash rich company like Apple or Google toaccomplish the mission?

·Gigafactory:To start production in Q1 2016.What volume do you projectin Q1and if all goes as planned what is the volume projection in Q2? Besides Panasonic what other partners havecommitted to the project? What are the expected profit margins on stationarystorage?

·Stationary Storage:What are the projected profit margins?

·Gigafactory:Even before stationary storage the output of GF1 may not supportswelling demand for TM vehicles and stationary storage.What other sites have you considered for G2and G3 and the timeframe for beginning construction?

·TM has been referred to by senior management asan Energy Innovation Company:What otheravenues are you exploring for the company beyond cars and stationary storage?Trains/Planes/ ultra capacitors?

·Model X:It has been stated that the first time that the features of the X wouldbe revealed may be when the actual vehicles begin delivery.True?Will there be a reveal prior to release of the signature series?

·The Model X will be a replacement vehicle formany ICE SUVs.In many cases the ICE SUVis used to tow heavy loads and carry items like skis and kayaks on theirroofs.Can you tell us if the X will beable to tow a 7,000# load and carry skis or a kayak on a rack mounted on theexterior of the vehicle?

·Model X: In a recent presentation,Mr. Chen indicated the towing capacity of the X wouldexceed 5,000lbs and added it was actually just under 10,000lbs.Can you give us a more precise figure on thetowing capacity and what type of range decrease comes with towing based on yourtesting?

·'Consideringthat some new cars continue to have 12v battery problems, what changes do yousee occurring within a more mature Tesla that would keep similar problems from recurring,once discovered?'. How are youidentifying and managing this type of risk? Possibly a Redundancy in suppliersof certain critical components?

·Sincepick up trucks make up a large percentage of vehicle sales and consume, onaverage, far more fossil fuels than cars what time frame are we looking at forTM to produce a full size truck similar to the best selling Ford F100? To compete with these full size trucks whatminimum battery size are you projecting?

·Pop upStores: Do these get around the archaicprotectionist dealership laws in states like Texas and Michigan? Are they your ‘secret demand weapon’? If not, might you give us a hint as to whatthe weapon is? How effective have theybeen?

·Demand secret weapon:Have we seen it with the pop up stores?If so, are there additional weapons, ifneeded (what are those).If not, can youshare with this group what it is?

1. Assuming that externalmarket conditions are not prohibitive to either, what automobile marketstrategy would you prefer Tesla Motors to follow:

1. Mass market automanufacturer (Toyota).
2. Premium auto manufacturer(BMW), developer and manufacturerof electric drivetrains and batteries for other automobile companies.
3. Premium auto manufacturer(BMW), developer of electric drivetrains and batteries, licensingthis technology to other auto manufacturers.

I'd suggest further tightening up of the questions. Examples:
·Range anxiety hasmany facets.TM has done a great job ofdispelling many of them.‘The finalpiece’ would appear to be reduction in charging time at an SC to a near fullcharge in 5-10 minutes.JB indicatedabout two years ago in an interview with the MIT Tech Review that this shouldbe possible. Do you have atimeline forthis happening?
Unnecessarily wordy, with a preamble that serves no real purpose.
Abridged: Do you expect to achieve a near full charge in 5-10 minutes and if so in what time period?

·Gigafactory:Even before stationary storage the output of GF1 may not supportswelling demand for TM vehicles and stationary storage.What other sites have you considered for G2and G3 and the timeframe for beginning construction?
I'd skip this one entirely, Elon has pretty much said they need to be further along with GF1 before they think about GF2, let alone GF3.

TM has been referred to by senior management asan Energy Innovation Company:What otheravenues are you exploring for the company beyond cars and stationary storage?Trains/Planes/ ultra capacitors?
Again, much to far forward looking IMO, and likely to get a vague meaningless answer.

·The Model X will be a replacement vehicle formany ICE SUVs.In many cases the ICE SUVis used to tow heavy loads and carry items like skis and kayaks on theirroofs.Can you tell us if the X will beable to tow a 7,000# load and carry skis or a kayak on a rack mounted on theexterior of the vehicle?
and
·Model X: In a recent presentation,Mr. Chen indicated the towing capacity of the X wouldexceed 5,000lbs and added it was actually just under 10,000lbs.Can you give us a more precise figure on thetowing capacity and what type of range decrease comes with towing based on yourtesting?
Both questions are excessively wordy.
Abridged: What's the tow rating of the X and is there going to be a factory roof rack solution?

All questions should be direct and have the bare minimum of words, and they should not present an easy opportunity for a vague meaningless answer. Elon has limited time and would likely appreciate direct and brief questions.

JRP; thanks for the input. If anyone has a direct email address for some in IR I will gladly send in the questions in the new edited/abridged version.

edit: PM the address