Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for all of you M3 owners about buying a 3 from a private seller; how to check for EAP, FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt there is anything on the exterior that would indicate if the car has AP, EAP or FSD. The only thing you can do is pm the seller and ask for a copy of the mvpa/receipt (with the identification stuff blacked out). If the car was purchased originally with EAP, it shows on the purchase agreement. If FSD was added later, it just shows up.

that's what vroom wanted to quote me a price. My menu options still say AP and SR+ even though I have a SR with no AP. Not sure what places like Carmax do?

I think the MVPA is the only way to know for sure. I'm not sure if Tesla updates it when you buy AP or FSD or just a separate receipt?

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
@Steve, I hope you don't get zapped in the future. I read of many owners who took delivery with the fog lamps and rear seat heaters activated only to have them disappear. Those features have never been a part of partial premium.

Tesla Model 3 Interior Packages Comparison : teslamotors

Here's what I pulled after I bought mine:

Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gogogoducks
There is no visual way to tell if the car has FSD. You could at least confirm it has EAP by taking it for a test drive and seeing if it offers you navigate on autopilot. Other than that if the seller claims it has FSD ask to see a copy of the invoice showing that FSD was purchased.

Sam: just curious ; have you actually come across any good values on used Model 3's when you compare to New along with the potential rebates you may qualify for if buying new?

I had high hopes of scoring a used deal for a couple of months and watched most every source waiting. In the end, I gave up hope and bought a new AWD.
I have. But I think that a lot of the value is in the details. I don’t care much about FSD and coo doesn’t offer EAP which is what I want. A lot of bulk car moving places also don’t seem to account for AP at all. They base prices on mileage, year, make, model, and trim. I’ve even seen some stealth Ps go very cheap.

You would not need to actually drive the car to see if it has EAP or FSD but you would need access to the menu/screen.
From the touchscreen if you see Navigate on Autopilot or Summon at all ; it means the car has EAP or FSD.
A car with regular AP or no AP will not show these names on the screen at all.

If you have no access to the car, you might want to request a photo of the "Navigation" menu.

that's what vroom wanted to quote me a price. My menu options still say AP and SR+ even though I have a SR with no AP. Not sure what places like Carmax do?

I think the MVPA is the only way to know for sure. I'm not sure if Tesla updates it when you buy AP or FSD or just a separate receipt?

I have two model 3's. The first one, we purchased with EAP and it shows up on the mvpa. The second car we just purchased the base LR model, but added AP during the flash sale last Feb. Tesla never sent us a receipt for the $2k. In addition to our credit card statement, the AP does show up for that car in our Tesla (sso) account.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
This chart is dated and not accurate.
Was what was planned for the SR model but that never happened.

The fact of the matter is that you will never believe it until you can read it on Tesla's web site and that isn't going to happen because it's no longer an option for the SR/SR+ and that doesn't mean it wasn't. After all, the SR is no longer sold, and yet, there are thousands out there, but you probably don't believe that because you can't read it on Tesla's website. The fact remains, I have it and many others do too and maybe you don't and you're sore over it, tuff. I also have 12-way power adjustable heated front seats.

The chart is dated April of 2019;

04-2019 Options.png

Reactions: TomLee
I had someone at Tesla help with a couple VINs and I can confirm that there are 3 LR RWD FSD's selling on Carvana for the same price as mid ranges with no AP at all. Crazy world we live it.

that's b/c Carvana and some third party resellers don't know the software/trim differences. A M3 is a M3 to them. I hope to benefit from this when I sell

Even Telsa doesn't know their intra model year changes. Funny story I have an email from a Telsa delivery manager confiming I'll have EAP installed on a S, turns out it was AP1 and impossible to do :(

• Disagree
Unless it’s a alcantara 3, there is no way to tell a $80,000 Model 3 from a $35,000 Model 3 without being inside it or having a MVPA.

VIN can help with single motor / dual motor or approx build date.

You can buy a SR Model 3 off menu with no AP for 35K-35K.

• Informative
that's b/c Carvana and some third party resellers don't know the software/trim differences. A M3 is a M3 to them. I hope to benefit from this when I sell

Even Telsa doesn't know their intra model year changes. Funny story I have an email from a Telsa delivery manager confiming I'll have EAP installed on a S, turns out it was AP1 and impossible to do :(
Similar happened to me. There was an X for sale a few months ago via cpo and it said AP1 but the vin was definitely in the range of ap2. It was still more than I wanted to spend, but it was a hell of a deal.

• Informative
Unless it’s a alcantara 3, there is no way to tell a $80,000 Model 3 from a $35,000 Model 3 without being inside it or having a MVPA.

VIN can help with single motor / dual motor or approx build date.

You can buy a SR Model 3 off menu with no AP for 35K-35K.

One of the reasons I bought SR3. But can't you can tell the P's from the red color brakes and carbon trims?

• Disagree
Similar happened to me. There was an X for sale a few months ago via cpo and it said AP1 but the vin was definitely in the range of ap2. It was still more than I wanted to spend, but it was a hell of a deal.

I was hoping to snag some of these "mistakes" but according to other threads Tesla typically backs out if they think the deal is too good a mistake

• Disagree
You would not need to actually drive the car to see if it has EAP or FSD but you would need access to the menu/screen.
From the touchscreen if you see Navigate on Autopilot or Summon at all ; it means the car has EAP or FSD.
But you won’t be able to tell which of those two options the car has unless you can see the Monroney sticker for that car.

The fact of the matter is that you will never believe it until you can read it on Tesla's web site and that isn't going to happen because it's no longer an option for the SR/SR+ and that doesn't mean it wasn't. After all, the SR is no longer sold, and yet, there are thousands out there, but you probably don't believe that because you can't read it on Tesla's website. The fact remains, I have it and many others do too and maybe you don't and you're sore over it, tuff. I also have 12-way power adjustable heated front seats.

The chart is dated April of 2019;

View attachment 465056

It appears Tesla has removed the LED fog lamps from the SR+ since that chart was created. I have not seen an updated chart reflecting this change though.

Reactions: St☰v☰