Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for owners of first deliveries of refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owners Manual. I have been as interested at getting a look at the revised Owners Manual as getting a VIN. This is my first Tesla and my current vehicle displays I POD, yes that’s POD attached.
I have been reviewing the existing OM for couple years.
Anyone else find the lack of an OM a sign that the light at the end of tunnel is the same as the day the refresh was announced.
As most OM are available online issuing a revised OM with changes wouldn’t be a huge issue.

As there are many mysteries/questions about the refreshed Model S that Tesla hasn’t answered or clarified, I thought it would be helpful to list a set of questions for those lucky enough to get the first deliveries of the refreshed Model S, long range, plaid, or plaid plus. I’ll start with mine and please add your questions in this thread. If those with the first deliveries can post photos that provide answers, that would be an extra bonus.

• Are the aluminum strips on the interior dash and doors lit?
Not so far, ambient lighting is currently some LEDs under the armrests
  • How does the 17” touch screen tilt or swivel?
No, fixed, although some folks believe as SW update will enable tilt
  • Is the car body wider than previous generation Model S’s?
Yes ~2" in the back and ~1" in the front
  • Is the track wider?
Its 78" in the back, not sure how that compares--full vehicle dimensions are in the owners manual
  • What are the tires that come with the car? Brands and sizes?
Michelin Pilot SPort 4S
  • Where are CAN high and lo connections accessible? Same as previous generation Model S’s (under the touchscreen)?
Do not know
  • Is the interior space larger? Leg room for rear passengers? Head clearance for rear passengers?
Yes about 2"more legroom and the seat back is inclined a bit more for more headroom
  • Are the mats in frunk, trunk, front and rear the same size and shape or different?
Do not know
  • Is the storage space in the trunk more ample?
Than?

• Have the brake rotors and calipers changed?
In what way
  • Is the noise cancellation sound system effective in substantially reducing or eliminating road and wind noise?
Currently not enables--the HW is there, SW not enabled
  • Does you your car have the yoke steering device? Was a round steering wheel an option?
Yes, no
  • If the former what has been your experience with it?
There was a learning curve, but pretty comfortable with it now--see videos in link below
  • Is the automatic drive selector effective? How do the drive options on the touch screen or elsewhere in the car work?
I like it--was skeptical at first, but became a fan--great UI on it. Shifting is primarily via a strip on the left edge of screen, backup is force touch buttons underneath the phone chargers
I understand that some of these questions may require comparisons with previous generations of Model S and that statistics may not be available for the refreshed models from Tesla.

Pics an links you might find useful: 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid - osultan

Are the headlights updated
Yes--same shape, but four steerable elements to the low beam
Are the taillights updated (similar to MY)
No, same as old

Are there any controls on the rear screen (heated seats, etc)
Media, music, seat warmers, temp, fan speed, vent control

What is the foot room like for rear passengers (not the space between your knees and the front seat, but the space under the seats)?
There is space to tuck your feet
Can the rear seats recline?
No

Are the headrests on the front seats angled too far forward? (unfortunately it's not like most cars nowadays have normal, straight headrests)
They are fairly vertical--don't lean forward

What are the force touch buttons like? Try spilling a drop of water on them and see what happens (okay, maybe don't actually :D)
The surface is hard--kinda like using a smartphone--there is haptic feedback

1. Is there separate Bluetooth connectivity for the rear screen, so my kids can watch YouTube/Netflix and hear it through their own headphones?
No, but is seems like a coming soon kind of feature
2. Are there gaming pads/controllers for them to play games on that screen?
No

3. What offset are the wheels? Can we put wider/more offset wheels on since the body is supposedly wider?
Details in the owners manual
4. Does the new MMC offer screen mirror from your phone?
No

I assume the Ryzen SoC is only for the MCU and that the back seat screen is simply a third screen like the instrument cluster. Do we know for sure if the back screen is also a touchscreen? Seems like it should be for Asian and European owner sit in back scenarios but I didn’t know Linux had robust implementations of using multiple touchscreens at once. Maybe they used a virtual machine layer.
All three screens driven by thew same HW, rear is a touchscreen

My apologies if you’ve already answered any of these elsewhere.5G???
Did it come with Keyfobs?

Curious if any of my Model S 100D accessories will be compatible with my Plaid Model S?
Nothing new in the online store, nor any direction on compatibility.

Specifically:
All weather floor mats
All weather Cargo & Frunk Mats
Glass Roof & Rear lift gate sun Shades
Chains for 19” turbines
19” turbines (I have an extra set of wheels and tires that are powder coated sonic carbon…)
Upgraded 40 bit Key fobs

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal1
Upgraded 40 bit Key fobs

Doubtful. The old key fob system was a Pektron 315 Mhz. system, the new one is a Tesla designed system:

Old:
1624125876248.png

New:
1624125937069.png

• Informative
Reactions: Daniellane
My apologies if you’ve already answered any of these elsewhere.5G???
Did it come with Keyfobs?
You get 2 key fobs, 2 key cards and can set up a total of 17 fobs, cards and phones

Curious if any of my Model S 100D accessories will be compatible with my Plaid Model S?
Nothing new in the online store, nor any direction on compatibility.

Specifically:
All weather floor mats
All weather Cargo & Frunk Mats
Someone else I know who took delivery was told by Tesla that the mats would fit, but he found they did not quite fit--something about some of the cutouts
Glass Roof & Rear lift gate sun Shades
Chains for 19” turbines
19” turbines (I have an extra set of wheels and tires that are powder coated sonic carbon…)
Upgraded 40 bit Key fobs
Sorry--unsure about the rest. I would have doubts about the shades as there had been significant re-work of the interior. Regarding the 19" turbine, the wheel info is in the back of the manual, so you could check.

No, fails with an "insecure browser" message when trying to log in. The car is running a version of 10.2, so that probably does not help. Someone else had asked me if I could log into Stadia (same issue).

Omar, Thank you so much for all your answers to the questions. Some of the questions other member asked already answered my question.

I will be getting our plaid delivery here in July, I am also in Norther California Brentwood Area :)

Do you know anyone with 19 inch tempest wheels ? I am wondering if brake pad size is any different or not. Since I be getting 19 inch wheels for now and will get the performance wheel and tire package once its is offered Sometime in Fall of this year.

Reactions: omarsultan
Omar, Thank you so much for all your answers to the questions. Some of the questions other member asked already answered my question.

I will be getting our plaid delivery here in July, I am also in Norther California Brentwood Area :)

Do you know anyone with 19 inch tempest wheels ? I am wondering if brake pad size is any different or not. Since I be getting 19 inch wheels for now and will get the performance wheel and tire package once its is offered Sometime in Fall of this year.
I don't know of any deliveries with 19' wheels so far. All the cars at the Fremont event had 21" Arachnids and the ones that are starting to queue up for EoQ also seem to be orders with upgraded wheels.