Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for those that did trade-ins with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're trading in the family car. We have until July 23rd to accept Tesla's offer. Their offer is the highest we received so we'll be going with them. However our EDD isn't until early August. If we accepted the trade in do we turn in the car immediately? Or is it when we receive delivery?

Also how does increase mileage impact the trade in? We submitted the trade in info with 69k miles but this will definitely go up. We'll be driving it for as long as we can as its the family car. We do have another car we can use but its just much easier with the family car as its bigger.

When I traded my car in to Tesla (back in April '21), the car was treated as part of your payment at delivery time. You bring the car, keys, and title on delivery day and give them to the delivery advisor. They confirm the car matches the condition you disclosed at the time Tesla appraised the car.

If I recall, the trade-in offer from Tesla is good for 30 days from their offer. Since you are locking in their offer on July 23rd, and the car is expected within 2 weeks, you should be fine with a few hundred extra miles on the odometer. Just don't drive to Florida and back in the interim.

I will, however, mention that this car is part of your payment, and whenever you are out on the road with it, you do risk something happening to it (fender bender, parking lot damage, etc...). If something happens to the car and you are not able to deliver it in the condition disclosed at trade-in offer time, you've got to come up with that extra money fast or risk losing your place in line for a car.

Tesla's bid is good for 30 days or 1000 miles. After that you just update the info and they give you a new number. You keep your car until delivery day.

We just traded our MS for our new MY; Tesla offered us almost as much as anyone else (and more than some), and with the tax advantage they came out ahead. Simple as pie...drove in, signed some papers, gave them the key fobs, got in the Y and drove off. Even if they had been lower than others there was some value to the ease of that transaction, and we probably would have traded to Tesla.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
It's back, you can once again get a Trade-In evaluation from Tesla - Trade-in | Tesla

I just ran mine on my 2020 LR AWD Y:

Your trade-in estimate reflects the market conditions at the time of request and is based on the vehicle details and condition you provided. This is not a final offer.
Estimated on July 8, 2022

$57,100 - $63,100

Based on the HIGHEST offer I received from the On-Line guys of $64K from CarGuru even the low Tesla number is about the same given the trade-in tax credit I would get in IL plus I wouldn't need to rent a car to bridge any gap, anything more than the $57,100 would be a bonus.

Last edited: