Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for those with heated steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this morning I managed to squeeze in a quick freeway test before heading to work. It was five miles each direction on the same road, the road is flat and straight but has a slight grade to it resulting in a solid 350 wh/mi one direction and 290 wh/mi the other. That’s 320 average going 75mph at 37 degrees with the heater at 66 / fan level 1. Also the car was fully warmed up at that point.

I think those numbers are pretty high if accurate. Certainly higher than our 3 SR+ in the same conditions. But my guess is the Y is just not as aerodynamic and it is prob heavier. Still kind of disappointing but it is a mini SUV... so... /shrug

I also wanted to add: there is certainly no shortage of complaints about the size / visibility of the rear window in the Y. That is something that concerned me going into this purchase. However - unexpectedly I feel more comfortable with the Y when checking blind spots than I do the 3. My wife swears she never had any issues with her 3 but I always felt limited on the passenger side. While the rear window on the Y is “small”, I feel like the driver position is high enough to see clearly over the passenger rear door for cars in your blind spot... and for me that makes the direct rear visibility far less of an issue.

Thanks for the warnings!
A 5 mile trip is bound to have poor efficiency from my understanding. Similar to ICE cars.
But it is notable if the 3 was closer to rated consumption rate than the Y.

Rear window was a shock when we first sat in a Y. The 3 was already kinda hard to use, but that comes from the viewing angle for me. I couldn’t see low enough to notice headlights directly behind me sometimes. May this higher seating position will help with that. Along with easy access to the camera button.

There a serious lack of videos on the Y SR. Consider posting a video and getting lots of views.

I’m hesitant about just missing out the interior refresh/ rumoured upgraded suspension.

just picked mine up today. I originally posted I had a 105 VIN. They had paint issues and was going to delay my delivery another week..... They found another identical ready to roll at the Chicago Tesla. Highland Park was where my first one was. I have confirmed that I do have a heated steering wheel. Used it all the way back to Killwaukee, WI. I can post pics and software version tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
just picked mine up today. I originally posted I had a 105 VIN. They had paint issues and was going to delay my delivery another week..... They found another identical ready to roll at the Chicago Tesla. Highland Park was where my first one was. I have confirmed that I do have a heated steering wheel. Used it all the way back to Killwaukee, WI. I can post pics and software version tomorrow.
LR or SR?

here's proof of my car picked up yesterday.

Attachments

• 20210126_071734.jpg
    20210126_071734.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210126_071751.jpg
    20210126_071751.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 121
Vin 108xxx, heated steering wheel in Toronto! I just hope it stays active after the next update. Technically this wasn’t an option when I purchased it. We shall see!

I'm assuming this is for LR?

First deliveries for SR in Canada are happening 2nd week of Feb.

My VIN is 113xxx so I hope I'm safe for the heated steering wheel. Fingers crossed for centre console too.

For those that took delivery recently, and have heated steering wheel, which software version is running on your vehicle?
The one person that posted above show 2020.39.110 which is older than the most recent? (2020.48.35.5)

EDIT: nevermind. It seems like 2020.38.110 is a recent release according to 2020.39.110 Official Tesla Software Update | Teslascope
(First noticed: January 19, 2021)
I guess Tesla version numbers are not simply sequential. Looks like there's different branches for cars with different hardware.

From what I’ve seen (read) 2020.39.110 is a unique build installed at the factory. Not sure if it was to test heated steering wheels or what. My speculation (purely that speculation) is that when the next major update comes out (V11?) those with 202.39.110 will get the upgrade to that version and others with “hidden” heated steering wheels will be turned on (free or via in app purchase, who knows). Anyway if you look at the Teslafi firmware tracking (scroll down and click on the 2020.39.110 link in the page listed below) you will see only Model Ys have this version of the Teslafi users and the numbers are low and fairly recent.

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

My VIN is 113xxx so I hope I'm safe for the heated steering wheel. Fingers crossed for centre console too.

yes LR. You will have the heated steering wheel for sure. My sales rep says all the ones coming in have it now.

Reactions: PearlShark