Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions from a brand new Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I just picked up my P85D tonight - wow! A few questions on the UI:

For my phone contacts the photos don't show up, just a silhouette. How do I fix that?
When I plug in my iPod to the USB port nothing shows up. Can you not play music over the USB port? If not are the USB ports just for power? That's kind of a waste.
I have the UHF sound which is supposed to have XM radio - how do I access XM? I have a subscription from my
If I want to upgrade to a fuller Premium Slacker account then where do I enter the Slacker credentials?
Is there a guide to what does and doesn't work for web pages in the browser? Can I use the web page to control Plex content and cast it to other plex players either over the internet or over the LAN (assuming a Wifi hotspot in the car and all devices connected via the hotspot). I assume you can't use web pages with video.

Some of your questions are beyond me also a Firstie.
I can say that the car will not support Premium Slacker.
The less than premium but more than basic account is all it can do.
And, you must call XM to get them to activate the radio. We have a free trial subscription for an undetermined amount of time (at least the folks at XM were clueless as to the exact duration).
I am sure folks will chime in on your other queries.

I can say that the car will not support Premium Slacker.
The less than premium but more than basic account is all it can do.
And, you must call XM to get them to activate the radio. We have a free trial subscription for an undetermined amount of time (at least the folks at XM were clueless as to the exact duration).
I am sure folks will chime in on your other queries.

While I haven't tried it, many have reported that Slacker Premium works just fine. You do have to purchase the plan and log in with your own credentials in the car.

I had XM flipped over from my previous car, but let the subscription time out. Slacker and Tunin are way better anyway.

Other questions:

The car does not support photos from your phone directory. The car does not support iPod controls and you can only stream music via Bluetooth from your phone. You can play music from a USB stick (and perhaps this way from the phone, but it will be clunky).

The car does not support iPod controls and you can only stream music via Bluetooth from your phone. You can play music from a USB stick (and perhaps this way from the phone, but it will be clunky).

Actually, the steering wheel controls do work with iDevices streaming via Bluetooth, to the extent of Play/Pause (left scroll wheel press), and skip forward/backward by track (up/down buttons on the left).

True. I just meant you can't access Albums/Artists/Playlists and such as you can in a car with full iPod control integration.
My just traded in Lexus had pretty good iPod integration and I am surprised the Tesla doesn't have that at all.

For those with XM - where does it show up on the media screens? I don't appear to have it.

Its listed with AM and FM when it shows up.
Here is what I see - I am guessing I should see another entry for XM
16038259590_6ccb387726_z.jpg

When I plug in my iPod to the USB port nothing shows up. Can you not play music over the USB port? If not are the USB ports just for power?
You load your music on to a thumb drive to play it through the USB port. Ideally you'll convert it to FLAC so that you can enjoy lossless music.

As someone else mentioned you have to reboot the screen holding down the 2 rotary buttons on the steering wheel and like magic XM will appear underneath AM and FM.
The Slacker rep I talked to by phone was adamant that the Tesla can not support Slacker Premium.
To the people who use it..... how does it differ from the Slacker features that are standard with the car?