TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Questions from a brand new Model S owner

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by wayner, Jan 6, 2015.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

I just picked up my P85D tonight - wow! A few questions on the UI:

For my phone contacts the photos don't show up, just a silhouette. How do I fix that?
    When I plug in my iPod to the USB port nothing shows up. Can you not play music over the USB port? If not are the USB ports just for power? That's kind of a waste.
    I have the UHF sound which is supposed to have XM radio - how do I access XM? I have a subscription from my
    If I want to upgrade to a fuller Premium Slacker account then where do I enter the Slacker credentials?
    Is there a guide to what does and doesn't work for web pages in the browser? Can I use the web page to control Plex content and cast it to other plex players either over the internet or over the LAN (assuming a Wifi hotspot in the car and all devices connected via the hotspot). I assume you can't use web pages with video.

2. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Some of your questions are beyond me also a Firstie.
    I can say that the car will not support Premium Slacker.
    The less than premium but more than basic account is all it can do.
    And, you must call XM to get them to activate the radio. We have a free trial subscription for an undetermined amount of time (at least the folks at XM were clueless as to the exact duration).
    I am sure folks will chime in on your other queries.

3. Firewired

Firewired Member

Weird, mine came without the trial subscription for XM. I believe if you have a personal Slacker premium account you can put that login information in the car and your playlists will show up.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

While I haven't tried it, many have reported that Slacker Premium works just fine. You do have to purchase the plan and log in with your own credentials in the car.

I had XM flipped over from my previous car, but let the subscription time out. Slacker and Tunin are way better anyway.

Other questions:

The car does not support photos from your phone directory. The car does not support iPod controls and you can only stream music via Bluetooth from your phone. You can play music from a USB stick (and perhaps this way from the phone, but it will be clunky).

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

I don't even see an option for XM radio. Is it with FM and AM or is it in Internet with Slacker and Tunein? Maybe it is different on Canadian models?

6. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Actually, the steering wheel controls do work with iDevices streaming via Bluetooth, to the extent of Play/Pause (left scroll wheel press), and skip forward/backward by track (up/down buttons on the left).

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

True. I just meant you can't access Albums/Artists/Playlists and such as you can in a car with full iPod control integration.

8. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

I use my own premium slacker account. Enter login credentials under apps and media I think.

9. wayner

wayner Active Member

My just traded in Lexus had pretty good iPod integration and I am surprised the Tesla doesn't have that at all.

For those with XM - where does it show up on the media screens? I don't appear to have it.

10. Firewired

Firewired Member

When I picked up my car last month, it didn't show XM either. Someone on the board mentioned to do a reboot by holding both scroll wheels in for 10 seconds, which I did and voilá XM showed up.

11. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Its listed with AM and FM when it shows up.

12. wayner

wayner Active Member

Here is what I see - I am guessing I should see another entry for XM
    16038259590_6ccb387726_z.jpg

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You load your music on to a thumb drive to play it through the USB port. Ideally you'll convert it to FLAC so that you can enjoy lossless music.

14. tezzla

tezzla Member

Do you have the Pano roof? No Pano, no XM (according to the build page)

15. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

As someone else mentioned you have to reboot the screen holding down the 2 rotary buttons on the steering wheel and like magic XM will appear underneath AM and FM.
    The Slacker rep I talked to by phone was adamant that the Tesla can not support Slacker Premium.
    To the people who use it..... how does it differ from the Slacker features that are standard with the car?

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Really? What's one got to do with the other? I was of the understanding the antennae are in the side view mirror housings.

17. sataponw

sataponw Member

I don't think so. I have no pano roof and I have XM.

Wayner: You should try rebooting the system. Holding both scroll wheel. If still nothing then contact Tesla.

18. wayner

wayner Active Member

Yes, I do have the pano roof. I will try the reboot. How long does the reboot take and can you drive while the reboot is taking place?

19. sataponw

sataponw Member

I think the reboot take at most a few minutes? (probably less) I remember reading that you can reboot while driving, but I would try not to do that.

20. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

FYI I have rebooted dozens of times while driving with no issues.