Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions from a brand new Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reboot worked - I now have the XM radio option so I now have the radio's serial number and can transfer over my account.

- - - Updated - - -

I may as well have posted this question in the Canadian forum as Canadians seem to be the only ones participating in the thread! Thanks everyone for all of your help.

As someone else mentioned you have to reboot the screen holding down the 2 rotary buttons on the steering wheel and like magic XM will appear underneath AM and FM.
The Slacker rep I talked to by phone was adamant that the Tesla can not support Slacker Premium.
To the people who use it..... how does it differ from the Slacker features that are standard with the car?
The major difference is the ability to create playlists (can't be done in the car, you have to create them on your phone, tablet or computer). Once created, you can then log out and back in from the car and access them.

The Slacker rep I talked to by phone was adamant that the Tesla can not support Slacker Premium.
To the people who use it..... how does it differ from the Slacker features that are standard with the car?
While I haven't used Slacker Premium, I have used Spotify Premium and I think they are pretty similar. Here is what I think you get with premium:

• Custom playlists (I never use playlists as I am an old-school listen to a full album kind of guy)
  • Ability to listen to the exact song/album that you want. (In the basic Tesla Slacker service you can create a Rolling Stones radio station which will play about 50% Rolling Stones music but I don't think you can play specific songs/slbums)
  • You can use that Slacker ID on other devices like Home PC, phone, etc so that you can use Slacker everywhere, not just in the car.
  • You can download music to mobile devices for offline listening.

The downside is that you likely can only use the account to stream music on one device at a time. So your wife can't use it to play music at home if you are streaming in the car - unless she has her own Slacker account.

iPhone - it connects through Bluetooth. All music is available through the central interface. Of course the phone works great, too.
XM - you don't need it. Slacker is great. I have XM in my ICE. I kept it there. No need to transfer.
Browser- If you need/want personal photos, or anything else, upload to the net and them email the url to yourself. Open your email in the MS browser and save the url to favorites in the web browser. You now have access to whatever you want through favorites.

iPhone - it connects through Bluetooth. All music is available through the central interface. Of course the phone works great, too.
XM - you don't need it. Slacker is great. I have XM in my ICE. I kept it there. No need to transfer.
Browser- If you need/want personal photos, or anything else, upload to the net and them email the url to yourself. Open your email in the MS browser and save the url to favorites in the web browser. You now have access to whatever you want through favorites.
Don't have an iPhone but my DRIOD works super through the Bluetooth. Most important is that when you get a call it pauses the music AND you don't have to worry about missing the ringtone as it comes right through the system. I like it much better even though originally I was also looking for a way to connect and play music through the USB. the Steering wheel controls work well with it but cant figure out how to see the list or music or playlists, so still need to jump around off the phone. on a side note, my phone is always locked, yet when it is connected to the system, I can dial, see contacts, and play music even while the phone is locked, making it easy for me to not have to continually unlock the phone to do a function.

I still would like to see iPod/iPhone functionality via USB as I prefer using an iPod Classic for music as it has a 160GB hard drive and can hold all of my music at high bitrates. The iPod Classic does not have BT so you can't connect it into the Tesla at all. Slacker is pretty good so I will likely not renew my XM sub when it is up in 6 months. I think a Slacker Premium account is even cheaper than an XM sub and it is more flexible since you can use it on many devices. If you want to do that with XM they charge you even more.

I still would like to see iPod/iPhone functionality via USB as I prefer using an iPod Classic for music as it has a 160GB hard drive and can hold all of my music at high bitrates. The iPod Classic does not have BT so you can't connect it into the Tesla at all. Slacker is pretty good so I will likely not renew my XM sub when it is up in 6 months. I think a Slacker Premium account is even cheaper than an XM sub and it is more flexible since you can use it on many devices. If you want to do that with XM they charge you even more.

I would like to see ipod integration also. As a work around, I took a large thumbdrive and put most of my songs on it. Means I get to listen to them in the car, but it is not as nice as having my ipod classic.