Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends!!

About a month ago, i purchased a CPO 2015 P85D. It's been a wild ride (Pun intended) but ultimately an enjoyable one. When i accepted delivery, there were a number of things that i had found, and was scheduled to have the car repaired at my local SC.

It's important to note, that i went with the P85D because while i am coming from a prius, where mileage was the main objective, i still love to do some spirited driving from time to time. I knew buying the performance model would hurt my overall range, but didn't really think it would be too terrible.

So i drove my P85D for a couple weeks, and it has been seriously amazing. I drive 90% like a grandma and 10% like an 18 year old. It's become a bit of a game to get the lowest Wh/Mi, which in my car, the lowest i've gotten is 347 (AVG over 100 miles) Sometimes if im rolling down a hill, i can hit 299 (in the 5 min avg) but once i level out, it's back up to ~350. I get around 2 miles of range/kwh. a 49 mile trip cost me 24 kwh. Here is where my concern begins.

I took my car to the SC to be serviced, which they said would take about a week or two (Back hatch replacement) and they gave me a loaner. a 2014 P85D. It's the same exciting performance...but after taking it on my usual drive...HOLY CRAP it's efficient as F***. I averaged 280wh/mi with FREQUENT launches and spirited driving. Doing my usual driving techniques, i dipped into 180wh/mi on back roads, and 240wh/mi on main roads. My daily trip went from 5% of my battery each way, to 3%. With no differences in driving techniques except for one thing. My p85D i have range mode on. The loaner is not. I drive with the chill/sport acceleration in mine, because insane puts me above 400wh/mi, but the loaner is Insane mode all day (FUN)

What the heck is going on here?? I am literally getting nearly 50% better mileage with the same performance out of a loaner that is a year older than mine. Here are some spec differences that i think may be cause.

Mine: Coil suspension, next gen seats, the rims are the 19 in standard ones.
Loaner: Air suspension, flat seats (idk which gen), and different 19 in rims.

My only other thought was if Tesla had some kind of power limited software for the loaners (That i don't even notice) that keeps power consumption lower, or if they outfit the loaners with newer hardware. I know my battery is the original...

I'm new to the Tesla scene, but this to me is setting off bells and whistles. I already sent a text to the SC rep who has been keeping me updated, but i have not heard back from him yet. I'd appreciate any insight on this phenomenon...because i feel like a 100wh/mi difference on average is a pretty substantial sign of something i should probably be aware of.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

I look forward to talking with y'all on this topic!

Haha, i should probably clarify my definition. The 280kw/hr average with spirited driving is me driving normally, but any chance to launch it (0-70), is taken, which isn't much but not seeing the average jump into the 400s made me more heavy footed. Launching and some 60-90 overtaking bursts are what i consider "spirited", since I don't usually sustain 100+ since most of my driving is around curves and bends that feel really good at 60. Ill take a picture of my graphs when i get home :)

The thing is driving the same way, and launching the car, and overtaking usually gets me north of 400 for a good while.

Our 2015 P85D+ with 21" Arachnids and Michelin Pilot Super Sports has averaged ~ 350 Wh/mile for 40,000 miles with the same mix of driving your described. Totally normal for a much bigger, heavier, and X times faster car.

We got about the same 350 Wh/mile when we swapped in our 19" Cyclones and Michelin Primacy All Season tires on our road trip to Colorado in early March. Cold weather and wind definitely reduced the Wh/mile.

That being said, your 50 MPG snail slow Prius (drive like a Grandma in Eco mode) still can't touch our P85D's 90 MPGe... Especially in SMILES per mile !!! I know since we have a 2012 Prius Four that now sits abandoned in our driveway 99% of the time since we got our Tesla almost 4 years ago.