Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions on FSD vs NoA vs Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Base AP is:

TACC
Autosteer within a single lane

That's it.

Everything else is FSD.

(Disclaimer: Above is true in North America- I believe the base AP bit is true everywhere- but some overseas places still sell EAP, which includes everything in FSD except the city-streets and stop-sign/stop-light features)

Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
Not that this changes your decision, but the Jan 17th $12k price hike is only for the US (for now, of course).
Thanks, that’s good to know. Maybe I have a bit more time to decide then. We actually have a decent discount on FSD in Canada. It should be around $12,600 CAD with the exchange rate but it’s currently only $10,600 CAD, so hopefully it doesn’t jump to $15,000 CAD when we finally get FSD Beta in Canada.

Thanks for the clarification, @Knightshade That's what I figured, but the wording on the Tesla website wasn't super clear so I wanted to make sure. Cheers.

Unless FSD beta comes to Canada soon, I think I'd rather put that cash towards a brake upgrade for the Plaid...but now that I hear how much better the brakes are with the Track Mode update, maybe even that isn't a really necessary, ha ha.

Reactions: TresLA
Can I ask a dumb question? Which of these buttons means "NoA is On"?

I'm new to my X... and I've been operating under the impression that the blue button (which is what I see by default) is off... and then I am to press it to turn it on (the uncolored picture).

But I get the impression from a few things that I've read that I may have it backwards?

I'm new to my X... and I've been operating under the impression that the blue button (which is what I see by default) is off... and then I am to press it to turn it on (the uncolored picture).

But I get the impression from a few things that I've read that I may have it backwards?

You are correct. NOA is enabled when you see the blue button in your nav directions. If the button is grey, NOA is disabled. The blue button means NOA is enabled. NOA is only "on" when you are on the highway an you see the single blue path line in your driver visualization.

There is an option in your AP settings to default NOA to on or off. If you default NOA to always enabled, the car basically presses the blue button for you whenever you input an address in your nav that requires highway driving. That way, NOA will automatically be used when you enter a highway. If you default to off, you will need to manually press the button if you want to use NOA.

Hope that makes sense and did not confuse you even more.

Last edited:

As already answered, the oval Navigate on Autopilot button turns blue when in the ON state. You may have noticed that this is the exact opposite of the same-styled blue buttons used on the Tesla website for ordering cars and accessories - on there, it means "Click here if you want to take this action". For NoA it means "you already took this action".

This lack of current-state clarity it's one of my pet peeves about the Tesla UI (not just the recent update, but generally for a long time).

There are some places where Current State is fairly clear, mainly for the options that show a slide-switch icon. But there are plenty of examples where the Current State is not clear. Having a color that you have to know, and that isn't the same color for all controls, and that some people might have trouble seeing, is very poor UI design. Then there are the callouts, for example the ones that use the word "Open". Does that mean "Touch here to open", or does it mean "Currently Open"? Of course you can learn it by practice and experimentation, but there's no reason it can't be intuitive (as it is with the slide-switch controls).

So it wasn't a dumb question at all.

Reactions: Venturer and Sporty
I'm one of the many newcomers to FSD on 10.8. All is well so far, but I wanted to ask some questions that hopefully others already know on what to expect in certain scenarios. I can go out and test this stuff if others don't know, but hopefully I can save myself some time here. For clarity, I have FSD and options already marked in my settings. I've successfully tried FSD by having a destination, double-tapping stalk, and pressing NoA button and I successfully made it to my destination.
it's easy to get confused, as you are seeing the car in transition from one software stack to another. The simplest way is to break apart driving into "freeways" and "non-freeways".

When you are on a freeway, you are using the older, non-FSD beta stack. You will notice in the cars-eye view (road visualization) that all the color disappears, you just have a plain gray view of lanes, and you are back to using "good old" AP/TACC/NoA. The FSD stack is dormant, and the car behaves just like any non-FSD car, doing lane changes etc according to your normal non-FSD beta AP preferences (including turning NoA on or off).

On non-freeways (basically everywhere else), the FSD beta stack will take over, and you will see the colored cars-eye view (red lines for road edges etc). This is where the full FSD stack is running, and the car will (or, more correctly, will attempt to), drive on city and non-freeway roads.

The car will move seamlessly between these stacks to follow a programmed navigation route, and you can see it switch back and forward as the cars-eye view changes. So if you engage NoA on a freeway, the car will switch to FSD beta as you move from the freeway to city streets, and vice versa.

Occasionally, if you have really bad weather, the car may decide it is unsafe to use FSD beta on city streets. In this case, the "color" cars-eye view will vanish (even on non-freeways), and you will revert to the old non FSD-beta TACC behavior until conditions improve. You can also revert to this manually by disabling FSD beta in the Autopilot control panel.

At some point Tesla will retire the older AP/TACC/NoA stack and switch to using the new FSD beta stack for ALL automous driving, regardless of the road .. this is the so-called "V11" version of FSD (not to be confused with the recently released V11 software, just to add to the confusion).

hi blue means it is "on" ( it took me a while to get that right too :) ). I have noticed that when I go from the dynamic city street " wiggles" to a main highway it " switches" to a more "standrd lookign" NOA pre FSD beta 10.X then as I head down an offramp it switches back to the more dynamic city street view