Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions on resale value of certain options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for opinions so all viewpoints welcome. I have a Model S and have had it over 3 years now. Love the car. I have been trying to convince the wife to try a Model X (she likes a little higher seating position and the option to carry more than 5 people from time to time). Currently she is in a Range Rover Sport and we have looked at the XC90 (I really like it, but her not as much) and the MDX (we have owned a few and they are a good value and safe). If you were looking at a Model X that did not have the PUP what sort of hit on resale would it cause in your opinion and would it be a much harder sell? Please keep in mind I am looking at the White interior which would mean the PUP would not add the leather lower dash and door panels like it would on the Black or Tan Leather versions (yet costs the same which is a bit of a rip-off as I see it). I see the only "upgrades" on the PUP to be ventilated seats, which I like the look of, but I tried the on the X and they don't seem to work well compared to other brands I have tried; the Alcantara, which I like but my wife could care less about I think, the self presenting drivers door which I think is a little gimmicky and a source of some debate here on TMC, and the lighting of the door panels (I think since I have never seen if there is less lighting on the door panels of the non-PUP or no lighting at all on them). The foglights/cornering lights and Biodefense options are not really a huge factor to me but maybe huge to others and affect resale value more than I think. Overall, I just don't think $4500 is worth the price but if I was going to sell a car without it I wonder how much less I would get for it than a PUP car that was otherwise identical? Logic says options are never worth as much on resale as the original cost of them, but it could be that certain options make a car a very hard sell without them and might in turn affect resale much more than I might think. For example, Jeep offered the Wrangler unlimited for a few years as a 2 Wheel drive only model and they are hard to sell at least around here, which drives the price down more than it usually would. I know certain options don't hold value well at all (I am looking at you Ludicrous option!) and others seem to add a lot in value and also make for a much easier sell (it seems like the jump seats on the model S are in this group). What do you all think about the Model X PUP in that regard?

I don't consider anything on the PUP to be that critical and for me. In fact without it, you could price your car less, which is what used-car buyers tend to focus on.

I wouldn't buy it just for resale, doesn't makes sense to pay $4500 in hopes to get $2250 back when you resell the car if the features aren't worth it to you.

Reactions: jaguar36
I don't consider anything on the PUP to be that critical and for me. In fact without it, you could price your car less, which is what used-car buyers tend to focus on.

I wouldn't buy it just for resale, doesn't makes sense to pay $4500 in hopes to get $2250 back when you resell the car if the features aren't worth it to you.

Yeah to me it if were $1000 to $1500 I would say it would be worth it but $4500 seems crazy especially with the white interior not getting door panel/dash/armrest material upgrades. I really am surprised Tesla does not make the PUP only $3500 or something with the White (even though it would still be overpriced at that amount in my eyes)

I did not and would not consider one without the PUP; but based on the forum comments I am in a minority! Just get the X and enjoy it! I have had some nice cars-but love this one the most!:)

Last edited:
I appreciate your viewpoint and feedback. It's valuable to know for me to know how people feel about this because if I wanted to sell the car (assuming she just did not like it after 1-2 month "trial") it's important to know how many people feel like you and would not even consider buying it for that reason. To me if I could get a used Model X for say $3K less without the PUP it would be worth it but I would not be shocked if there are others who would say it would take twice that discount to make it viable for them.

Reactions: ModelX
Any of the features included with the PUP must be evaluated based upon your needs and wants. Only you can say if these options are worth the $4500 price upgrade. As far as resale, it will take some time before we know what the used market values these features at.
ventilated seats, which I like the look of, but I tried the on the X and they don't seem to work well compared to other brands I have tried;
I know a lot of people say the ventilated seats don't do well and I can't compare them to other cars because I've never owned a car before that had them, but I love them. I can definitely feel it when I turn them on and it makes a big difference on a long drive.
the self presenting drivers door which I think is a little gimmicky and a source of some debate here on TMC
I wasn't as sure about the self-presenting doors, but now that I've had the car for 5 months I can't imagine not having them. They are definitely NOT a gimmick. When I get into another car I can't believe I have to actually touch the door to open and close it. I don't have to free a hand so I can push/pull a handle to get in and reach out to grab the door and pull it closed. I know this sounds like a first world problem (and it is!), but once you get used to it anything else seems uncivilized. I think it will become like auto open/close windows, self locking doors, etc. Someday soon all the cars will have it and we'll consider it a required feature that we can't do without.

Reactions: ModelX
Any of the features included with the PUP must be evaluated based upon your needs and wants. Only you can say if these options are worth the $4500 price upgrade. As far as resale, it will take some time before we know what the used market values these features at.
I know a lot of people say the ventilated seats don't do well and I can't compare them to other cars because I've never owned a car before that had them, but I love them. I can definitely feel it when I turn them on and it makes a big difference on a long drive.
I wasn't as sure about the self-presenting doors, but now that I've had the car for 5 months I can't imagine not having them. They are definitely NOT a gimmick. When I get into another car I can't believe I have to actually touch the door to open and close it. I don't have to free a hand so I can push/pull a handle to get in and reach out to grab the door and pull it closed. I know this sounds like a first world problem (and it is!), but once you get used to it anything else seems uncivilized. I think it will become like auto open/close windows, self locking doors, etc. Someday soon all the cars will have it and we'll consider it a required feature that we can't do without.

Thank you for the input. You say self presenting "doors" but it's really just the driver's door, correct?

Besides for a few must have options, most options add very little to the resale value of a used car (assuming you're not selling it in 6 months) I'd bet on average the Premium Upgrade Package on the X would add less than $500 on a ~4 year old car.

The self presenting doors seems like an awesome option to me though not worth $4500.

I wouldn't say any of the features are worth $4,500. That said, they are *wonderful*.

Self-presenting door is mediocre (remember, the fob still works — realistically, I usually smash my jeans with the heel of my hand on the way to the car, so it's opening *before* I walk up. I rarely even see AuDoor function) and a little janky; and the ventilated seats don't work for *sugar*. (Seriously considering ripping them out and trying to boost them aftermarket — more powerful fan or something?)

But the Alcantara *really* ups the ‘classy’ game of the interior, especially with the ultra-white (beautiful – not worth $4,500' though); and really, the HEPA filter is what sells it. Turn it on, in literally fifteen seconds, that gassy byproduct (whether by ICE, or by passenger ;) is undetectable. It really is great … but again, just, not worth the $2,000 to $4,000 resale-value you're going to lose over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Add-ons don't affect resale. Golden rule of purchasing vehicles outright. Autopilot hardware was maybe a special-case; but nowadays? Any box you check is money you're *spending*, not *investing*.

tl;dr buy it if u fart alot :3