TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Questions on version # and access to documentation

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by SMAlset, Apr 1, 2017.

1. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

We recently picked up our MS so pretty new to things. Overnight (2am) we enabled our first download. Just waking up now and checked the app to see if it happened. We went from version 17.9.3 to 17.11.3. Is this the 8.1 that people have been talking about? I know the 17 refers to year 2017, the second digit to the week of the year and the last to the software version I think. Wondering where the 8.1 appears on things.

Also is there somewhere on Tesla's site or here that will list what the current software version is? "Updates" on Tesla's site take you to a blog of latest news but not version #s. Does everyone get the same software update or is it sent to those with certain features their car has that it applies to?

Second question that I've wondered about. When I go to MyTesla I only see how I can order new cars, etc.--car is registered to hubby so I don't get any of the documentation like he does. Tesla online customer service added me to the app when we first got the car so I could access to the app functions of our car being a driver of it. It would seem to me that I should also be aware of any release notes of updates being a secondary driver.

2. f-stop

f-stop Member

yes, 17.11.3 is the new 8.1 release people are currently talking about. If you press the "T" logo at top of your 17" screen it should pop up an "About Your Tesla" screen - the software version number installed in your car is shown on bottom left. Should be something of the format "v8.1 (17.11.3)" - that's the "full" software version/build number.

the software updates get rolled out in stages to cars, though not all minor updates get installed on all cars, and yes there is some hardware dependency - so no, not everyone gets the same sw. Unfortunately Tesla doesn't provide very useful info on updates or the current version#.

It won't answer all your questions, but one good place to start is to look is the Tesla Firmware Tracker website
    Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App You can see what kind of cars, where, when, etc they got which sw version - the data is provided by Tesla owners, not Tesla itself. Also go ahead and register on the site and add your car's info every time you get an update

best source on the specific details of each release is probably just to keep up to speed on the relevent thread here on TMC, e.g. post #5614 here that splits out the 8.1 threads for different car hardware

• Like x 1
  3. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Thanks for the version info. Much appreciated f-stop.

Anyone who shares their car among family members and can comment on the documentation sharing aspect?

4. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Just to add a couple bits:

By time you get the software update notification on your phone (or in the car), the new software update has already been downloaded...this happened "in the background" over the preceding minutes or hours. It's just asking when you want to apply/install that update.

Software updates on a Tesla are not like software updates for (say) an iPhone, where you know in advance (before updating) what version will get installed, what new features/bugfixes there will be, etc. You only get to see the release notes after installation, and some of us have complained a bit that there isn't enough detail. So hubby isn't necessarily getting a whole lot more information than you are.

If you want to know what'll happen with a new software update, a reasonable tactic is to monitor the TMC discussions that @f-stop mentioned, wait for someone else here on TMC to install it, and see what they report before you take the plunge. This is suboptimal, but that's about the best we can do given the way software updates are currently structured.

(You don't know how hard it was for me to not go into a rant about how software update workflows should be done...in a prior life it was my job to think about things like this.)

Have fun with the new car!

Bruce.

• Like x 1