Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions RE: Aftermarket Wheels, Offsets, Tire Sizes, etc...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good info on this thread. I am also considering 20" wheels. Has anyone ever had a Tesla service with aftermarket wheels on? I have 3 years more warranty on our MSP. Do you just keep 19"s and have to change out when you get serviced? Also is there a setup which DOES NOT rub and no spacers needed? I have had a bad experience with spacers in the past on Corvettes. Can anyone comment on going from 19" to 20" wheels? I rode 21" in a MSP and the ride is TERRIBLE. I will stick with my 19"s.

M

Hello,

I know this post is old, but I hope you are still around.

I'm about to run the exact same specs for my Vossen 20", but with 245 in front to avoid rubbing. I have ordered some 6mm spacers from the US, but thanks to USPS it looks like it won't arrive in time for fitting. Do you by any chance think that 5mm or 8mm spacers will work as a temporary measure? I can't for the life of me find 6mm locally.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Update: I realized the spacers from the US aren't the correct type and was able to find 6mm spacers in the correct variant locally. Hoping for no clearance issues 🤞

Good info on this thread. I am also considering 20" wheels. Has anyone ever had a Tesla service with aftermarket wheels on? I have 3 years more warranty on our MSP. Do you just keep 19"s and have to change out when you get serviced? Also is there a setup which DOES NOT rub and no spacers needed? I have had a bad experience with spacers in the past on Corvettes. Can anyone comment on going from 19" to 20" wheels? I rode 21" in a MSP and the ride is TERRIBLE. I will stick with my 19"s.

M
Yes, you just need to find the right ET to avoid spacers. You can also avoid going really wide on the rear. I'm moving from 19" to 20" this summer. We'll see how that goes. I think it should be a good compromise between looks and comfort.

Vossen HF3 & Falken Fk510
245/40/20 - 20x9 - ET 35
285/35/20 - 20x10,5 - ET 42 with 6mm spacer

Here is a link about wheel spacers. There are many more... IMHO I would be VERY worried about the geometry on such a heavy vehicle...

M
It's a 6mm (0.23622 inches) hub centric (with the extension into the rim) spacer on the rear of the vehicle to create clearance. It has at least 5-6 rounds of thread engagement with the stud nuts. Multiple people on this forum (and of other makes and models) has used spacers without any issues. Just make sure it is from a reputable brand and It'll be alright ;) Bigger spacers (10+ mm) could make more of a difference geometry-wise, but it has a smaller effect on the rear compared to the front.

Has anyone ever had a Tesla service with aftermarket wheels on? I have 3 years more warranty on our MSP. Do you just keep 19"s and have to change out when you get serviced? I rode 21" in a MSP and the ride is TERRIBLE.

M
I've had my S with 21" Vossen wheels serviced at the SC many times. They don't care about aftermarket wheels, generally, as long as you provide them with the lug key for whatever lug nuts you have. The only reason you'd need to swap back to factory wheels is if you're having them do an alignment or potentially re-leveling the car (air suspension).

Big disagree on the ride with 21's, but to each their own. Mine rides super smooth with the Vossens and Michelin PS4s, and it's even lowered. 19's are definitely better if you're going for that floaty/cadillac feel though.

M

I had 245/40/20 on 20x8.5 et24 and 275/35/20 on 20x10 et26 without any rubbing.