TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Questions regarding Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by gowthamn, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

• Does navigation take traffic into account?
    • Does all glass roof increase cabin noise?
    • Does having suspension set to high reduce vibrations due to potholes?
    • How many speakers are present without the Premium sound option?
    • Can I make the car cool / heat up at a particular time automatically every day?

2. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

For all these answers and more, feel free to use tesla.com

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

I'll start by saying after about 15000 miles I love, love my S and can't imagine another car.

1. The Tesla Nav has a traffic setting but frankly nothing beats Waze for beating traffic. Tesla nav is great for long trips as it automatically calculates SC stops into your route but I still always have Waze running on my phone.
    2. Don't know(I have pano and there is no additional "noise" to my knowledge)
    3. I have standard suspension and it's fine...not sure what you mean by set to "high"? Potholes are probably best avoided by any car brand(you have potholes in Seattle?)
    4. Don't know(I have standard sound)
    5. yes

• Like x 1
  4. tpham07

tpham07 Member

A] navigation is tesla software, but uses google maps. so it uses google maps traffic data.
    B] no. not sure why people think glass has a inferior sound protection vs a thin sheet of aluminum.
    c] dont know, i have standard suspension. I get less vibrations in this car than in a lexus.
    d] not sure, but should this even matter. Audophiles do aftermarket upgrades, others just do UHFS. Those who don't care about sound use standard.
    e] you can turn on HVAC remotely but there's no way to program it to turn on a certain time i dont think. However the car has smart preconditioning which will turn on the HVAC at times it thinks you're going to use the car (if you have a consistent work schedule for example).

5. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

#1 - Yes
    #2,3,4 - Don't know
    #5 - Yes, but I have irregular schedules, so I prefer to heat/cool it from the phone.

6. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

1) Yes it will reroute, but it isn't great at it for now. When I first got my car it didn't have any traffic data at all or trip planning so it has been upgraded over the air significantly.
    2) This has been reported by some people and it does seem a bit more noisy when I have a loaner with pano. Mine is solid roof.
    3) I doubt it but I don't have air
    4) dunno
    5) I started using an android app called "Dashboard for Tesla" that cost $20 and it far superior to the standard app. With this independent application you can program your AC/heat to start at specific times of day.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. tyson

tyson Member

for #3: you can set the car to "high" but it will automatically lower to standard once you exceed 35mph, it doesn't really soften the blow of a pothole, going slower does that....

8. PeterHG

PeterHG Member

I can only guess that you haven't been for a test drive. swapped my BMW 5 for a Tesla S, and I have a buddy who swapped in his Mercedes S. The Germans may have lusher interiors and features, but the Tesla is a far better ride. You'll spend much less time at Superchargers than you currently spend at gas stations. Stop waiting and live!

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

Waiting for an EV with Tesla's technology and torque with Mercedes's quality interior and features with much faster charging (< 10 minutes).

Your next EV is probably 5 years away.

• Funny x 1
  10. Black/Black MS

I have the air suspension and IMO it's the most worthless feature on the car. setting it too high makes the car so bouncy you wouldn't want to drive around like that.

• Love x 1
  11. Xenius

Xenius Member

1) Yes
    2) Nope, not that I've noticed
    3) Not sure, most folks suggest not taking air suspension
    4) Don't know
    5) Some apps out there let you do this I think, but you can just do it manually from the app very easily.

12. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#12 SMAlset, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    #3 You are not going to be riding around with it in the high position all the time. The above statement is accurate. Raising it to high will help prevent you from bottoming out on the battery pack area if your tire goes into the pot hole and doesn't sit at surface level going over it. We have SAS and like it. Have it programmed for a number of places we routinely travel. Great for those annoyingly high speed bumps cities, shopping centers and some communities like to install as a traffic calming devices. Our driveway is also sloped up from the street and have it programmed there too. Also we sometimes use it to raise the front end when we are pulling in to park in areas with low parking curbs we might otherwise end up on top of. Not a perfect solution for everything but we feel we get good use from it.

Oh and since the car sits low normally, being older I also find it's helpful getting in and out of the car.

• Helpful x 1
  13. Sasmania

Sasmania Member

I'd like to hear about your requirement for 10 minute charging?

Sure, it would be nice...but it's really not an issue for the vast majority of people, it's just a change in mindset. When at home, it's even easier waking up with a full battery every day. When on the road, take a break to eat, catch up on work/emails or read. It's not like you sit there and look at your watch unable to do anything else.

14. S85D

S85D Member

Did Tesla delete the painted roof? When I get on the Tesla website, all I see is the glass roof and pano roof.

15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

My experiences with the auto preconditioning: It seems to work better for me at noon and in the evening. For some reason it only works in the morning if it's plugged in. The app works well also.

16. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Yes, no solid roof anymore. Tesla said the orders for it were low and they decided to just go with the more popular pano and all glass roofs to streamline production.

17. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

I did not know Tesla the released the APIs openly. Nice.

18. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

I don't have home charging (living in apartment). But can charge at work. So, I might use superchargers which will be built within cities by the end of the year for charging. Waiting 40 minutes for 80% charge for regular city driving will be a waste of time.

19. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

So, Tesla's air suspension is not the same as BMW or Merc? In those brands a high setting softens the bumps and potholes and reduces noise. But the body roll is high during cornering. At low setting the opposite is true.

20. gowthamn

gowthamn Science

I took the test drive and I like the driving experience a lot. Just wishing the interior be more nicer like a merc.

• Funny x 1