Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions to be Asked at 2016 Shareholders Meeting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
This is a thread for investors who will be attending the 2016 shareholders meeting. It should present an opportunity to suggest relevant questions that could be asked at the meeting, and strategies for gaining priority over those with inconsequential personal agendas. Of course shareholders who will not be in Mountain View can offer ideas here for those who will be there.

Thanks Curt....I did this last year and got some good questions.
As I posted in the ST thread the mics are set up on stands about half way back from the stage. Get a seat next to the mic or just stand at them ias the meeting opens as there is a stampede to the mics when the Q and A starts

the mice are set up on stands about half way back from the stage
I'll be at the shareholder meeting and I'm looking forward to seeing if the "mice" will continue the campaign for vegan options! ;-)

I have a question I am considering asking about Tesla Energy and the future of the company: "As a Tesla car owner and Powerwall owner (next month), over the past few years I have come to view Tesla as a company whose first products were EVs but whose core business is in energy storage and management systems, whether that means vehicle drive trains or batteries to power businesses, homes, and maybe even off-earth human colonies. Do you see the company that way to a certain extent, and if so how does that influence your long term strategic planning?"

I'm hoping that someone will pin Musk to the wall about all of the old software bugs that still exist after nearly four years the car has been on the road.

One specifically I'm talking about is the media center bug where the muted music starts playing after the car powers up after deep sleep. If playing music from the USB it's always on the last song in the album and plays that when you open the door.

No additional voice commands.
Crashes of the center screen

It's embarrassing to drive a car that is at the top of the list for software defects alongside Jaguar Range Rover reported by USA Today.

I'm hoping that someone will pin Musk to the wall about all of the old software bugs that still exist after nearly four years the car has been on the road.

One specifically I'm talking about is the media center bug where the muted music starts playing after the car powers up after deep sleep. If playing music from the USB it's always on the last song in the album and plays that when you open the door.

It's embarrassing to drive a car that is at the top of the list for software defects alongside Jaguar Range Rover reported by USA Today.

Sorry, but that's an example of the personal agenda questions to which I was referring with minimal relevance to shareholders. This matter may be better addressed by technical support personnel: Technical Support & Roadside Assistance

I'd like to hear a question about the increase in prices of Powerpacks. Specifically, whether the increase was due to an increase in costs, or simply because the demand is there at the higher price level, and what does that do to expected profit margins for 2017.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
In my opinion, questions about specific details of vehicle features or operation are not appropriate for a shareholders meeting. We all have our own list of specific things we want to see fixed, improved, added, etc. You could get just a few dozen Tesla owners in a room with Musck and spend days talking about those things if you could keep him in the room. At the shareholders meeting there is less than an hour of Q&A time available.

I am sure that Musk is aware of such issues. If you have ever had any experience managing a complex product you know that you have to prioritize issues and keep in mind which problems need to be resolved so as to avoid negatively impacting sales, and which of the many requested improvements should be focused on so as to increase sales. It is a non-stop juggling act.

Musk has stated more than once that "When I look at the Model S all I see are the things that could be improved" (paraphrasing). He knows more about the car's defects than anyone here on TMC.

Sorry, but that's an example of the personal agenda questions to which I was referring with minimal relevance to shareholders. This matter may be better addressed by technical support personnel: Technical Support & Roadside Assistance

Curt, lets say Tesla ships model 3 with the same bugs that have been experienced in model s and x. Once you have a small percent of the nearly 400k reservations take those bugs to any media outlet that will listen, then you have a decline in share price. Which affects shareholders not only in terms of monetary value immediately follow price drop, but tarnishes the brand of shipping crappy software with their cars. which affects it more so moving forward. When you have articles like this already Study: Tesla, Jaguar highest in auto software defects . It seems appropriate to bring up software defects. I am not saying call out every little bug, but there are some really large oversights in the Nav system, Media player, voice etc I think a single question addressing these things would be a good thing to bring up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dwdnjck
In my opinion, questions about specific details of vehicle features or operation are not appropriate for a shareholders meeting. We all have our own list of specific things we want to see fixed, improved, added, etc. You could get just a few dozen Tesla owners in a room with Musck and spend days talking about those things if you could keep him in the room. At the shareholders meeting there is less than an hour of Q&A time available.

I am sure that Musk is aware of such issues. If you have ever had any experience managing a complex product you know that you have to prioritize issues and keep in mind which problems need to be resolved so as to avoid negatively impacting sales, and which of the many requested improvements should be focused on so as to increase sales. It is a non-stop juggling act.

Musk has stated more than once that "When I look at the Model S all I see are the things that could be improved" (paraphrasing). He knows more about the car's defects than anyone here on TMC.

Indeed, this will be a shareholders meeting, not a car owners meeting.

Indeed, this will be a shareholders meeting,.
When will the Chinese joint venture partner be identified?
How much have the material supplier-partners committed to contributing towards Gigafactory capital costs?
What is the percentage residual value that Tesla guarantees to third party leasing companies?
Will the Gigafactory recover expensive materials from depleted packs so they can be re-used in new cells?
What is the warranty that Tesla provides to utility/industrial/commercial buyers of PowerPacks?

A status update on succession planning or on any corporate governance changes that might occur now that Elon's previous horizon for staying on as Tesla's CEO (until the mass market car was delivered, usual timeframe has been 2017-2018) approaches.

Also, what is Tesla's stance on the battery swap prototype going forward, either strategically or tactically? Is any work being done on battery pack swapping for the Model 3?

(I assume that battery swap has served its purpose of qualifying Tesla for extra CA energy credits and is a dead end otherwise, but maybe it has some tactical advantages for fleet operations using Model 3s)

• Disagree
Reactions: Fiver and Dwdnjck
Unfortunately I can't be there but I'd like somebody to ask him how much revenue he thinks Tesla Energy might contribute in 2016. Also what are the milestones towards the launch of Model 3, what is on the roadmap on the next few weeks to months.

Reactions: Fiver
Got some exciting news. Tesla IR will choose to ask Elon some questions that we crowdsource. But I'm going to have to start a new thread because I need to lay out the instructions (ie., only one question per post, voting system, etc). For those who've already posted a question or questions here, please post in the new thread. I'll post the link after I've posted it.

I despise our GPS. When I decided to spend six figures on the "most technologically advanced car in the world" I didn't expect to have to use my phone to drive everywhere. The nearly unusable GPS gives me cause for concern as it relates to a potential extention into autonomous driving. I'd LOVE to talk to Elon about this. With that said, its not news, everyone knows the GPS is terrible, its not appropriate for the shareholder meeting. Its one of the rare opportunities for us to gain insights that affect our money. I'll continue to call service regarding performance.