TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by gary2011, May 18, 2011.

1. gary2011

gary2011 New Member

May 17, 2011
    Hi Everyone
    I'm a newbie to the site, I'm an owner since Apr 1 and have some questions that
    hopefully current owners have experience with. I have an issue with dirt and water
    blowing in at the base of the doors, it was mentioned at the Owners Weekend and
    Tesla said they were aware of it but had no immediate solution.

Also have been reading Tom Saxton's threads and find them very informative, also
    the Tesla to J1772 adapter fabricated by Wegmuller. Does anyone know if you can
    get a Tesla socket somewhere other than from Tesla. My understanding is you would
    net the version that is on 70A garage mounted one in order to match up with the 70A
    J1772 connector on the proposed charging stations. What I was told this past weekend
    is that 70A is the best the Roadster can handle, you would not be able to fast charge
    (45 minutes).
  2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Feb 6, 2011
    Columbia River Gorge
    Hi Gary -

There is a whole thread about the joys of dirt/mud/slush at the base of the doors. You can find it here. I don't think anyone has yet come up with a definitive solution, but you can at least see what has been tried.
  3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Aug 20, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    I think the answer is no.
    As far as I know, everyone who has built adapter cables has bought a Tesla mobile charge cable (of some sort) and re-purposed the end.

Correct... The current version of the Roadster does NOT offer a high-speed/quick/DC charge option.

If you want to charge from J1772 it seems like you should get yourself on the list for the (backordered) Tesla adapter cable they recently started selling.

J1772 Mobile Connector - *Temporarily Backordered Tesla Motors
  4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2006
    CA CA
    A smart guy I know has done a mod he's fairly happy with. I have purchased the parts and will be installing it soon. If he does not comment on his solution on that thread I will later on.