TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Queues at Superchargers along I-5

Discussion in 'California Supercharger locations' started by bcsf, Sep 20, 2016.

1. bcsf

bcsf New Member

I'll be driving from Los Angeles to the Bay Area on Friday, and making the return trip on Sunday. First time doing this in a Tesla, so just wondering how long I can expect to be queueing (as opposed to charging) at Superchargers.

If I haven't missed one, I believe the Superchargers along the route are: Burbank, Tejon Ranch, Buttonwillow, Harris Ranch and Gilroy. My initial plan is to only use the last three, as I should be able to make it to Buttonwillow on an initial charge.

Should I expect substantial queues for Superchargers at any of these? If so, what time of day (besides, you know, 2 AM) are they busiest/lightest? My departure/arrival times both ways are fairly flexible, so the ideal is to spend as little time waiting for a Supercharger to open up so I can charge/grab food. Thanks!

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I doubt you will have to wait at any of those Superchargers (assuming you skip Pasadena as you say you intend to) since it is not a holiday weekend and the relatively new Buttonwillow location has taken a lot of the stress of the Tejon location.

Don't sweat, just drive it. :)

3. archbob

archbob New Member

I drove through the Buttonwillow charger about 3 weeks ago in my ICE (truck). There was one X there on my way to LA and all chargers were empty on my way back north. I went down on a Sunday mid day. Returned on a Tuesday late afternoon. I'll be heading down to LA in my MS tomorrow. And returning on Monday. I guess we'll both find out if my experience from a few weeks ago is "normal".

4. dehydratedH2O

dehydratedH2O Member

I've done the round trip twice now and had to wait at Tejon once, but other than that all is fine. Note: on very hot days these chargers seem to throttle down to 40-60kW even if you're not sharing with the next stall.