Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick acceleration can be dangerous when changing lanes on the freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So many times I see close calls in which 2 cars try to change lane into a common middle lane in the freeway. Well, due to the slow acceleration of ICE cars, people have time to react to avoid major accident.

For the 2020 roadster, the quick burst of acceleration may cause higher change of getting into an accident because the other driver do not have quick enough reaction to avoid an accident.

I know that accidents like this or others do happen no matter what kind of cars you drive. But in the next few years, electric cars such as the Tesla 2020 roadster with its quick acceleration will likely increase accidents on the highway/freeway.

Hopefully, there will be sensors in the future to diminish such incidents.

When driving cars with that sort of performance (and actively using the performance) I tend to complete the lane shift then accelerate to avoid rear-ending the car in front, so I'm not sure the acceleration is going to have much impact on the risk.

Reactions: RedOctober
Is this a troll post? Are the shorters in town? This is a ridiculous concern. Like others have said, you’re not going to utilize 100% of the horsepower every single time you utilize the accelerator. Most other Hyper Cars require either a special key, or to be put into Race mode in order to utilize full horsepower. Plus they have comfort and standard modes which dial back power.

Which reminds me - I very distinctly remember reading on a Toyota forum YEARS ago a discussion amongst petrolheads concerned that the electric motor in hybrids would lead to people abusing the instant torque and causing accidents. No kidding. Now, the thought of that statement seems ridiculous

You confuse forward acceleration with lateral speed.
I'm going to guess you've never driven anything that will roast the tires on the freeway when you stab it.
Start there.
An AWD anything is going to give you less drama on the street.

Reactions: RedOctober
I have driven high performance cars before, and having lots of power available makes changing lanes much safer.

When you see a spot ahead you wish to merge into, you just give it a little pedal and swoosh, you are there.

It is the cars with poor performance that are the real danger. They cannot manouver into that open slot. Same with the huge trucks changing lanes. They are slow, clumsy and cause anxiety when changing lanes.

I have driven high performance cars before, and having lots of power available makes changing lanes much safer.

When you see a spot ahead you wish to merge into, you just give it a little pedal and swoosh, you are there.

It is the cars with poor performance that are the real danger. They cannot manouver into that open slot. Same with the huge trucks changing lanes. They are slow, clumsy and cause anxiety when changing lanes.
+1 I hate it when two large trucks are trying to pass each other on a grade, with both of them losing...

It does take a very little getting used to the immediate response of an EV drive train, so you don't end up in the car ahead's tailpipe. But after that, I much prefer an EV in any kind of traffic.

Reactions: Colasec
On numerous occasions I have sped up to get into a lane and allot of vehicles don't hear a vehicle winding up, take a quick look and also take the lane without even knowing that you are already in the space. It does happen. If you drive like an idiot just make sure you are aware of others.....

Personally I find the *best* point of EV driving is the way you can place yourself instantly into an opening safely.

Even if another vehicle accelerates at exactly the same time, you are so far ahead instantaneously that there is no risk of occupying the same space.

I also agree with ShockOnT's comment that you have to drive defensively, and presume that the other road users simply don't expect you to appear so suddenly.

If not a troll - power and speed are safety features IMHO. The ability to quickly get out of the way or move past another weaving/texting/drunk/high driver is important to me. As far as two cars converging on the same lane, blinkers and seeing the whites of their eyes works for me. OTOH - it will take ICE drivers years before they comprehend how quickly EV can change position on a moving highway = defensive driving.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Changing lanes is not the only concern, with my current P90D when accelerating from a traffic light turning green the through red drivers caused me real issues.
It is a matter of knowing that “others” will not do what they are supposed to do.
We all have to understand we drive cars with great accelerations and have to anticipate on others making wrong choices.
On lane changing; know when I am driving in AP my sensors have refused to change lanes seeing a car which was for Mr not visible in mirrors.
Maybe technology can help?
Something alike warning lights in side panels that a car is nearby.

driving_cars.png

xkcd: Driving Cars

Reactions: wesley888