Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Aero Cover Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i removed my aero covers and installed the new center caps. But given that i cant make up my mind about which config i like best, i figure i’ll just switch back and forth for a bit.

Now that my cool story is out of the way, has anyone found a quick and easy way to remove the center caps so i can switch back to the aero covers? They feel a little cheaply made and i don’t want to just jab a flat head in there to wedge them out.

TIA

EADF2E53-9368-49A7-831F-709FAEFA97E0.jpeg
I'm guessing you bought the official center caps. I got some cheap ones on Amazon and they came with a tweezer-like tool for removing them. Maybe there's an official tool out there somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TTB2YBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I received a tweezer tool, but its clearly marked as the lug nut cap remover. Are you using it for the center caps, as well?

Don't use anything metal to remove the center caps. You'll damage the plastic. If you pry on plastic items with metal tools, you'll eventually, if not immediately, damage the plastic item.

The lug nut cap remover shown above is to remove the plastic dust caps off the 5 lug nuts, not the center cap. I never use this tool though. The lug nut caps come off with your fingers.

I don't find the specific tool that I ordered through Amazon, but you want something like the following, which I found by searching for "iPhone suction tool". These are designed to pry apart smartphones and tablets that are potentially glued together. Wipe the dust off the suction cup, place it on the face of the center cap, flip the lever, and the cap come right out without causing any damage to the cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W7TJFJJ

My aero covers are hanging from rubber-covered hooks on the garage wall, except for when I'm going on road trips out of town.

• Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
Don't use anything metal to remove the center caps. You'll damage the plastic. If you pry on plastic items with metal tools, you'll eventually, if not immediately, damage the plastic item.

The lug nut cap remover shown above is to remove the plastic dust caps off the 5 lug nuts, not the center cap. I never use this tool though. The lug nut caps come off with your fingers.

I don't find the specific tool that I ordered through Amazon, but you want something like the following, which I found by searching for "iPhone suction tool". These are designed to pry apart smartphones and tablets that are potentially glued together. Wipe the dust off the suction cup, place it on the face of the center cap, flip the lever, and the cap come right out without causing any damage to the cap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W7TJFJJ

My aero covers are hanging from rubber-covered hooks on the garage wall, except for when I'm going on road trips out of town.

Boom. Thats what i was looking for, thanks!