Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Quick control screen keeps popping up

2016 S75D refresh MCU2. With the latest software, the full-screen quick controls keeps popping up as I drive. I have to tap the little car icon in the lower left to get it to go away, then it comes back in a few seconds to a few minutes later. Two button reset doesn't help. Very, very annoying as it covers the whole screen.

Anyone else? Any fix, or is this a bug in V11?

Reactions: QUBO
This sounds like the same thing that happens to me with v11 and I have the MCU2 upgrade on my 2016 MS90D. Specifically, I"ll open TeslaWaze and within 5 minutes the screen goes to a Tesla-like search page. Posts in the MY and MX forums also complain about this "feature", which some say is a safety upgrade to stop the driver from surfing the web while driving.

I can think of three possibilities -
1) Are you in a very high humidity area where there is sweating in the cabin? It could be water conductivity is causing false triggers.
2) Are you in a very dry low-humidity area? This can cause static electricity to generate false triggers.
3) The touch controller is damaged (inside the MCU). The controller is quite robust, but with some major electrical discharges (i.e. major static electricity) it may be possible to damage this sensitive part. The designs have gotten quite robust, but they are not bulletproof.

One easy step to try is clean the display with a mixture of a small amount of dishwashing soap and water to clean the display and reduce the surface conductivity. It might solve the problems. Beyond that, sadly an MCU replacement may be in your future.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC