Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick control screen keeps popping up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 S75D refresh MCU2. With the latest software, the full-screen quick controls keeps popping up as I drive. I have to tap the little car icon in the lower left to get it to go away, then it comes back in a few seconds to a few minutes later. Two button reset doesn't help. Very, very annoying as it covers the whole screen.

Anyone else? Any fix, or is this a bug in V11?

My 2016 MS90D is a mid-2016 AP1 build but also with MCU2 upgrade installed. I'm running V11, 2021.44.25.2 software release.

I tend to have it pop up first time I get in the car, but have not experienced it popping up every few minutes when I drive.

This sounds like the same thing that happens to me with v11 and I have the MCU2 upgrade on my 2016 MS90D. Specifically, I"ll open TeslaWaze and within 5 minutes the screen goes to a Tesla-like search page. Posts in the MY and MX forums also complain about this "feature", which some say is a safety upgrade to stop the driver from surfing the web while driving.

I can think of three possibilities -
1) Are you in a very high humidity area where there is sweating in the cabin? It could be water conductivity is causing false triggers.
2) Are you in a very dry low-humidity area? This can cause static electricity to generate false triggers.
3) The touch controller is damaged (inside the MCU). The controller is quite robust, but with some major electrical discharges (i.e. major static electricity) it may be possible to damage this sensitive part. The designs have gotten quite robust, but they are not bulletproof.

One easy step to try is clean the display with a mixture of a small amount of dishwashing soap and water to clean the display and reduce the surface conductivity. It might solve the problems. Beyond that, sadly an MCU replacement may be in your future.

This happened to me as well. Went away after a reboot but came back, then went away for good with latest sw update 2022.20.6. Hoping it doesn’t come back.

It’s extremely annoying and unsafe.
I had a video of it, showed it to the service advisor, but since they could not reproduce it they did nothing. Very, very frustrating when it happens I agree it is unsafe.

I finally traded in my MS for a new Tesla last month; I hope the new owner of my car doesn't have that same problem. I feel sorry for them if it continues.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
It is a software issue. It can be continuously popping up and down every 3 seconds. If I then reboot the software it will be fine, at least for a day or a week.

When non-Tesla riders ride with me and see it, it’s a terrible advertisement for the product/company.

Here's one suggestion. Set screen clean mode on and wipe the screen with a damp cloth with a tiny bit of soap. Especially cover the lower-left corner. It could be static electricity bringing up the screen and the soap helps eliminate static. It could also be the touch controller is damaged and is the cause of the display malfunction.

2016 S75D refresh MCU2. With the latest software, the full-screen quick controls keeps popping up as I drive. I have to tap the little car icon in the lower left to get it to go away, then it comes back in a few seconds to a few minutes later. Two button reset doesn't help. Very, very annoying as it covers the whole screen.

Anyone else? Any fix, or is this a bug in V11?
I my 2016 Tesla model X with MCU2 upgrade had the exactly same issue. Do you eventually resolve it?