Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick help regarding Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just got my model 3 and had a model S 85D before. I live in Greensboro and the past week has been a bit cold 40-60 F.
My problem is that I have not seen more then 38 kW when I have tried to Supercharge the car and tomorrow we plan to go to Miami 800 miles and if this is the speed of the Supercharging it will not be possible to do the trip.
Today I got to the Supercharger with 56,1% SOC and 11 Celcius Degree temp in the battery. After 25 min I had 70,6% SOC. By my calculations and what I did see on the screen it's about 30 kW average power during that charge. At the Tesla service they looked at the logs saying there is nothing wrong everything is working as it should. But my experience (2,5 year in a model S) is that this is not normal Supercharging.
Can someone tell me if the model 3 is this bad when it comes to Supercharging or not???
And as I said we are planing a long trip tomorrow and...

Double oh what, is right. Check more super chargers. Also remember superchargers work in pairs. If you look you’ll see that they are numbered 1A, 1B, 2A 2B, and so on. If you’re on 1A and someone else is on 1B you’ll both be sharing power and will get reduced amps. It’s considered supercharger ettiquite to never park next someone if you don’t have to for this very reason. I once upset a guy because I didn’t know this. Some Tesla owners are jerks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and TexasEV
It’s considered supercharger ettiquite to never park next someone if you don’t have to for this very reason. I once upset a guy because I didn’t know this. Some Tesla owners are jerks.
No for two reasons.
Firstly, parking next to someone doesn’t mean you’re on their paired charger. Some sites have all the As in a row, then all the Bs. It depends on how they’re wired. Even for the more common 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc. parking next to someone you only have 50% chance of sharing the same number, it could be 2B and 3A for example.
Secondly, if you’re the second to plug in at a paired stall, you’re only affecting yourself, not the person who arrived first. The second person gets the difference between what the first car is pulling an the total available. It doesn’t lower the first person’s charge rate.

That’s interesting. I wasn’t aware that it only slowed down the 2nd car to plug in, not the first. After reading up it looks like you’re correct. That doesn’t mean the “don’t park next to others” logic is false though. Like you said, you’ve got a 50% chance of picking a stall that won’t slow down. But I frequently show up at superchargers and find every other stall occupied. That means no matter which one I use (assuming 1A,1B), I’ll get a reduced charge. The is especially the case at Rancho Cuccamonga or Barstow during peak times. (Most annoying part of Rancho Cuccamonga is that most of the people there appear to be locals sitting in their cars for free power).

I’m a Model 3 reservation holder (non-owner) with a quick question regarding supercharging. Specifically, how does Tesla bill you for supercharging the M3? I’m assuming you store a credit card on some sort of Tesla account, but are you billed per use or do they bill you monthly for all supercharging use that month?

Just curious to know how it works. I drive roughly 50k miles per year because of work related travel so I will be supercharging ALOT. Thanks in advance for any answers you may provide.

I’m a Model 3 reservation holder (non-owner) with a quick question regarding supercharging. Specifically, how does Tesla bill you for supercharging the M3? I’m assuming you store a credit card on some sort of Tesla account, but are you billed per use or do they bill you monthly for all supercharging use that month?

Just curious to know how it works. I drive roughly 50k miles per year because of work related travel so I will be supercharging ALOT. Thanks in advance for any answers you may provide.

I just got my M3 on Friday. I was informed by Tesla that they haven't yet figured out how to charge M3 owners for supercharging, so for now it is free for M3 owners. I had a long trip over the weekend as was able to charge twice at a supercharger. Seems to be free for now.

I just got my M3 on Friday. I was informed by Tesla that they haven't yet figured out how to charge M3 owners for supercharging, so for now it is free for M3 owners. I had a long trip over the weekend as was able to charge twice at a supercharger. Seems to be free for now.
This goes onto the list of stupid things Tesla people have said. Really, where do some employees come up with this stuff? Tesla is charging for charging except at rare superchargers such as Waco where there’s some glitch. Maybe even that one has been fixed by now.
Anyway why do you say it seems free? If you just charged this weekend it may take longer to show up on your credit card. You’re always “able” to charge.

Reactions: linkster
This goes onto the list of stupid things Tesla people have said. Really, where do some employees come up with this stuff? Tesla is charging for charging except at rare superchargers such as Waco where there’s some glitch. Maybe even that one has been fixed by now.
Anyway why do you say it seems free? If you just charged this weekend it may take longer to show up on your credit card. You’re always “able” to charge.

Maybe you're right. He did seem believable when he said it. I'll keep an eye on the credit card I have on file with Tesla and see if any charges come through.

Secondly, if you’re the second to plug in at a paired stall, you’re only affecting yourself, not the person who arrived first. The second person gets the difference between what the first car is pulling an the total available. It doesn’t lower the first person’s charge rate.

Perhaps a dumb question - but what happens if there's a "glitch" in the charging, where it temporarily stops charging the first vehicle and then starts up again? Say something with the car itself that might stop charging and then restart it. Then he's now "second" according to the supercharger, and now you're getting the full charge and he's getting the rest. Etiquette still seems that whenever possible, don't share a charger.

Maybe you're right. He did seem believable when he said it. I'll keep an eye on the credit card I have on file with Tesla and see if any charges come through.

It's now been a week since my first of 2 visits to a Supercharger with my Model 3. Neither visit has shown up on my credit card statement. Maybe the Tesla employee was telling me the truth that they haven't yet started charging for Model 3 Supercharger visits. Can any other M3 owners on this forum chime in if they've been charged for M3 supercharging?

It's now been a week since my first of 2 visits to a Supercharger with my Model 3. Neither visit has shown up on my credit card statement. Maybe the Tesla employee was telling me the truth that they haven't yet started charging for Model 3 Supercharger visits. Can any other M3 owners on this forum chime in if they've been charged for M3 supercharging?

I used a supercharger yesterday and a CC charge appeared within 15 minutes of me ending my charge.