Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Homelink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery on my M3P on Thursday and realized it doesn't come with Homelink. I was about to order it but was seeing threads from people saying they couldn't get it to work. I have successfully programmed my current and past cars (Mercedes-Benz and Porsche) and have been using the buttons on the mirrors of those cars to operate my garage with no problems. I believe Homelink is the only company that offers this technology unless I am mistaken, so I am assuming if it works with my MB and Porsche, then my Tesla should also work, am I right? Sorry to sound cheap, but I would be slightly annoyed if I had it installed in the Tesla only to find out afterwards that it's useless.

Taking delivery on my M3P on Thursday and realized it doesn't come with Homelink. I was about to order it but was seeing threads from people saying they couldn't get it to work. I have successfully programmed my current and past cars (Mercedes-Benz and Porsche) and have been using the buttons on the mirrors of those cars to operate my garage with no problems. I believe Homelink is the only company that offers this technology unless I am mistaken, so I am assuming if it works with my MB and Porsche, then my Tesla should also work, am I right? Sorry to sound cheap, but I would be slightly annoyed if I had it installed in the Tesla only to find out afterwards that it's useless.

No Homelink for me, I don't trust the automation with the potential for accidental damage.

I used a command strip to attach the remote to the inside of my drivers door pocket.

Tim

Yes, if homelink worked for you in another car your same garage door opener will work with homelink in your Tesla. Homelink was easy for me to setup with the instructions on-screen and works well. I use it for auto-open and I close manually.

I like having my car/app as a backup key incase I lock myself out too. The only problem I have with it is in the app there is only 1 button while you can program up to 3 doors. So the app opens my left door and I don't know how to make it open the right (which would matter if you had a door at another location programmed).

No Homelink for me, I don't trust the automation with the potential for accidental damage.

I used a command strip to attach the remote to the inside of my drivers door pocket.

Tim

You can use HomeLink without the automation features.

Tim
Good idea with the Command strip

Reactions: TBrownTX

Tim

There isnt any requirement to use the automatic opening and closing with homelink. Also, it works fine, I have had it for 2.5 years, have it set to auto open and dont have any issues.

In pretty much all those cases you link to, they had an issue because they didnt look, or pay attention.

Back to the OPs question, Op it should work fine to be programmed to your garage door. If you have a rolling code garage door, it will program the same way you did your german cars you mention, which is use the remote to pair to the car, then push a learning button on the body of the opener and then activate it in the car to complete the programming.

Mine has worked flawlessly with my Chamberlain opener. The initial setup was easy and the automatic feature has been reliable. My only issue is when I exit the garage with my other car, I forget to close the door.

There isnt any requirement to use the automatic opening and closing with homelink. Also, it works fine, I have had it for 2.5 years, have it set to auto open and dont have any issues.

In pretty much all those cases you link to, they had an issue because they didnt look, or pay attention.

Back to the OPs question, Op it should work fine to be programmed to your garage door. If you have a rolling code garage door, it will program the same way you did your german cars you mention, which is use the remote to pair to the car, then push a learning button on the body of the opener and then activate it in the car to complete the programming.

But if you are not going to automate it, what’s the point of spending $325?

Tim

• Disagree
Reactions: LionXng
Leaving the opener in a car is a sure-fire way to have your garage broken into if you ever leave your car outside. Integrated solutions like Homelink in the Tesla or the buttons in the mirror in another type of car prevent this because the car needs to be on to use the opener.

That is absolutely true. As such, I have employed the following mitigating factors.

1) Can’t see it tucked away in the driver’s side door pocket.
2) My opener has a “lock” setting to lock out remotes, we engage this nightly.
3) I have security cameras in my driveway, in the garage, and a door sensor on the garage door.
4) I park in the garage 100% of the time.
5) I‘m a karate instructor, have two dogs, and several “wireless hole punchers” just in case.

I’d strongly advise that any criminals scoping out my garage move along to the next house.

PS: My favorite movie is John Wick.

Tim

That is absolutely true. As such, I have employed the following mitigating factors.

1) Can’t see it tucked away in the driver’s side door pocket.
2) My opener has a “lock” setting to lock out remotes, we engage this nightly.
3) I have security cameras in my driveway, in the garage, and a door sensor on the garage door.
4) I park in the garage 100% of the time.
5) I‘m a karate instructor, have two dogs, and several “wireless hole punchers” just in case.

I’d strongly advise that any criminals scoping out my garage move along to the next house.

PS: My favorite movie is John Wick.

Tim
Loool

• Funny
No garage door opener should ever close on a car and damage it - homelink or no. If it does, you have a dangerous gdo install. There should be an obstruction sensor (normally a light and a beam detector) that should prevent the door from moving if something (like a car or child) is blocking the doorway, or stop/reverse it if something steps or moves into the doorway while it’s in motion. This safety feature would prevent the damage situations noted above.
If you’ve disabled the safety device or have such an old gdo that it doesn’t have one, well, you know.

No garage door opener should ever close on a car and damage it - homelink or no. If it does, you have a dangerous gdo install. There should be an obstruction sensor (normally a light and a beam detector) that should prevent the door from moving if something (like a car or child) is blocking the doorway, or stop/reverse it if something steps or moves into the doorway while it’s in motion. This safety feature would prevent the damage situations noted above.
If you’ve disabled the safety device or have such an old gdo that it doesn’t have one, well, you know.

Most of these damage posts are people, in effect, stopping the garage door then driving into it, or not looking to see if it opened automatically, or forgetting that its going to open or close when they are driving toward the door.

I have had mine for 2.5 years, I have it set to open about 30 feet, which is in my driveway, it opens every time without issue. I dont have it auto close when I pull into the garage though, I close it manually.

When I leave in the morning, I manually open it, back out, and it automatically closes, every time. It came with my car when I bought the car, back when homelink was standard, but I definitely like it enough to have bought it for $300 or $325, given the cost of my car.