Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Homelink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No Homelink for me, I don't trust the automation with the potential for accidental damage.

I used a command strip to attach the remote to the inside of my drivers door pocket.

Tim
Why do people not do proper garage door installations? You're supposed to have a sensor that prevents the door from closing if something is blocking the door.

Why do people not do proper garage door installations? You're supposed to have a sensor that prevents the door from closing if something is blocking the door.

It's not 100% foolproof. You can have the beam under the bumper and have the door close on the trunk.

The door is also supposed to reverse and the force needed to cause the reversing is often set too strongly as well. Even properly set you will still scratch and possibly ding the car.

But it would seem that a properly operating door would greatly minimize damage.

Best I can tell in one of the posts is the original poster backed into a half open door. A properly set up garage door wouldn't have changed that. In this case it was user error. We've all had brain fade and made mistakes, so no snarky comments from me.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Yeah garage door safety systems aren't designed to prevent damage to vehicles, they're designed to prevent deaths. I had a rear bumper scratched pretty good years ago when my car (manual) had rolled back slightly after parking and the bumper was resting against the garage door. When I opened the door it gouged the bumper.

The homelink feature is definitely worth it (to me) even without the automation. Not having to deal with ugly remotes and/or the hassle of taking them out of hiding to use them each time + for some reason my garage door remotes always have buttons go bad. I was going to spend the $300 just to avoid having a remote in my car, but then I was pleasantly surprised to find that my CPO Model 3 came with homelink already installed.

That is absolutely true. As such, I have employed the following mitigating factors.

1) Can’t see it tucked away in the driver’s side door pocket.
2) My opener has a “lock” setting to lock out remotes, we engage this nightly.
3) I have security cameras in my driveway, in the garage, and a door sensor on the garage door.
4) I park in the garage 100% of the time.
5) I‘m a karate instructor, have two dogs, and several “wireless hole punchers” just in case.

I’d strongly advise that any criminals scoping out my garage move along to the next house.

PS: My favorite movie is John Wick.

Tim
“Your membership to the Continental has been, by thine own hand, revoked.”

• Funny