Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick ? on Auto Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an M3 with all the bells and whistles. I'm trying to turn on the auto lane change - the car tells me it wants to change lanes but first, it always asks to continue and I have to shake the wheel to acknowledge the lane change.

Is that the way it's supposed to work or am I missing a checkmark or radio button in the control screens?

When you first get a Tesla, you should reread the manual. There is a large learning curve and the manual helps when you understand the context.

@JulienW schooled me. I usually require turn signal confirmation just to remain focused. Thanks.

Last edited:
There are two types of "confirmation". although Tesla only says that one is confirmation.

What you are hitting is considered a passive confirmation of change because your hands should be on the wheel with torque anyway.
If you have your hands on the wheel providing torque, the change will just happen. If there is not torque (i.e. car doesn't know you are active) it waits for torque to change lanes.

You don't have to shake the wheel, just slight torque in a single direction is all you need. It's much more comfortable to the passengers than the car wiggling.

Just read a post in which someone said clicking or adjusting the scroll wheels can also act as confirmation. I haven't tested that yet, but I like that idea more than turning the wheel slightly.
Not for NoA lane change. Adjusting scroll wheels works as a regular confirmation. Lane change requires a torque to activate unless you have confirmation off. If off you must use the turn signal but this acts as a confirmation.

EDIT: Also I'll add as a newbie it is harder to torque the wheel the right amount. When I fist got mine I would use the scroll wheels and when I tried to torque it didn't seem to work and I would shake it harder and harder until AP cut off. After a few more weeks you will just naturally torque it the right amount every time without any thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZappCatt
:) - When I said "Shake the wheel" I didn't mean I threw the car back and forth in the lane. Yeah about a half-inch is all that's needed and the passenger doesn't even know it happened.

I also DID RTFM but was confused because the setting said "lane change - no confirmation" and I was having to confirm every move.

Thanks guys, at least I know now.

Reactions: ZappCatt
There is a sweet spot on the wheel where you can rest your hand. It basically eliminates all confirmations/nags.
for me its
-left arm elbow on left thigh
-left hand 4 fingers palm down on top of the wheel inside the hoop right where the scroll wheel is.

There is a sweet spot on the wheel where you can rest your hand. It basically eliminates all confirmations/nags.
for me its
-left arm elbow on left thigh
-left hand 4 fingers palm down on top of the wheel inside the hoop right where the scroll wheel is.

I hold the same way except I pinch on the bottom of the wheel. Long drives from San Diego to Vegas gets boring so I'm usually reading my Kindle j/k.