Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick or easy ways to remove a J1772 connector (with adapter)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using a J1772 connector and a Tesla adapter, after the charging is complete and even with doors unlocked, one still must use the mobile app to unlock the charge port in order to remove the J1772 and adapter as a single unit.

Yes, one can unplug the J1772 away from the adapter, but that causes the charge port door to come down and impact against the J1772 to Tesla adapter. One then needs to use the app to get the port door to open and unlock anyway.

Other options are to use the car's touchscreen or 3rd-party integrations to create shortcuts or voice control.

Are there any other ways where one can remove the J1772 and Tesla adapter as a single unit without having to use the phone or the car's display?

Thanks.

A public J1772? Use two hands, one to hold the adapter on.

For my charge-point home (installed before we owned a tesla) I modified the handle with a small button that activates the J1772 switch, leaving the mechanical latch holding the adapter on.

Home charger. I'm not clear on what you mean by "...modified the handle..." I am looking to be able to remove the J1772 and adapter together easily. The issue is that the port stays locked unless I unlock it using the car's display or phone. I was wondering if there is a way that I don't know. As @DocHolliday said, third party chargers don't talk to the car, so maybe there is no other way?

This is more easily demonstrated by a video than with words:

Thanks for the videos. For the two cases shown in the videos to work, there must be some sensor or switch in the J1772 connector, correct? How else would the charger know to stop charging and Tesla know to release the port?

I have a Wallbox, and the J1772 release button seems to be purely mechanical, but I will try and see if it works as shown in the videos.

I'd say the Wallbox does not communicate with the car.
I have a ChargePoint Home and when pushing the release there is a micro switch that wakes the car and releases the adapter.

I posted some pictures of my modification to the handle a year or two ago, but in your case it may not help.

Are you sure the doors are unlocked? You should be able to remove both the charger and adapter together when the doors are unlocked, without explicitly unlocking the port. Maybe it depends on the specific car model, but I used to do that all the time when I charged at home using J1772.

Unless walk away door lock is disabled where you charged, the doors would lock automatically.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Thanks for the videos. For the two cases shown in the videos to work, there must be some sensor or switch in the J1772 connector, correct? How else would the charger know to stop charging and Tesla know to release the port?
The J1772 spec is quite explicit that pressing the button on the handle should interrupt charging. On a Tesla, if the car is unlocked, this causes the car to release the lock on the input, which of course is the adapter when using a J1772 EVSE. Thus, pressing the button enables unplugging the J1772 plug and adapter in one go, at least briefly. (If you press the button, release it, and wait long enough, then the car will start charging again.) If the car is locked, this likely won't work.

If you have a J1772 EVSE and pressing the button does not interrupt charging, then it's likely that your J1772 plug is broken or defective. This is a potential safety concern and so should be fixed.

I'd say the Wallbox does not communicate with the car.
I have a ChargePoint Home and when pushing the release there is a micro switch that wakes the car and releases the adapter.

Like any other J1772, I agree that Wallbox does not communicate with Teslas in ways that Tesla connectors do, but I did test what @srs5694 posted and it works! As @srs5694 mentioned in his post, J1772 specification calls for the button to interrupt charging, which in this case works to cause Tesla to unlock the port, which is exactly what I wanted.

Are you sure the doors are unlocked? You should be able to remove both the charger and adapter together when the doors are unlocked, without explicitly unlocking the port. Maybe it depends on the specific car model, but I used to do that all the time when I charged at home using J1772.

Yes, the doors were unlocked and I was never able to remove the J1772 with adapter. When I unlock the port, I can hear a solenoid working, I can then remove the connector. This is a 2023 model.

The J1772 spec is quite explicit that pressing the button on the handle should interrupt charging. On a Tesla, if the car is unlocked, this causes the car to release the lock on the input, which of course is the adapter when using a J1772 EVSE. Thus, pressing the button enables unplugging the J1772 plug and adapter in one go, at least briefly. (If you press the button, release it, and wait long enough, then the car will start charging again.) If the car is locked, this likely won't work.

Thank you @srs5694, that was exactly what I wanted to know--that J1772 does specify the switch in the button. I tested it and it worked exactly as shown in the videos you posted. Your solution is spot on. Thanks again!

Reactions: MikeHawk
If you use the adapter every day at home, I hightly recommend buying an extra and leaving one on the handle at home all the time. Then you can do the one or two handed method to unplug, and just hang the cord up.

BTW, in the one-hand method, you press the button until it unlocks, release the button to reengage the latch on the handle and pull it out before the car reengages it's lock. On some handles, you'll also have to push in a bit to make sure the latch reengages with the adapter. It's a bit timing dependent, and some people seem to have trouble doing it, in which case, the two-hand method is still available.

This is more easily demonstrated by a video than with words:
...or even better....
It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. (I have a Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE at home, with a Tesla adapter "permanently" attached. It's not glued in place or anything, I just never remove it.)
Thank you for this explanation! New owner here (well, waiting on my order), with a related question on this topic. If I keep the Tesla adapter on my J1772 plug at home (I have a JuiceBox already installed for my other EV); how do I clip or attach it to the wall? My Jukebox has a molded, plastic receiver that fits the J1772 plug. I don't think it will accept the Tesla adapter. Any suggestions?

Thank you for this explanation! New owner here (well, waiting on my order), with a related question on this topic. If I keep the Tesla adapter on my J1772 plug at home (I have a JuiceBox already installed for my other EV); how do I clip or attach it to the wall? My Jukebox has a molded, plastic receiver that fits the J1772 plug. I don't think it will accept the Tesla adapter. Any suggestions?
If you have a 3D printer, or have access to one, my holster adapter might do the trick for you:
Some public libraries have 3D printers, so you may be able to get one of these printed there if you don't own one.

Note that it's a somewhat delicate design, and can break when you try to install it. It's not meant to be installed and removed repeatedly, and 3D prints are cheap, so rather than put effort into a more complex design, I just decided to quit when I got something that worked, flaws and all.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
If you have a 3D printer, or have access to one, my holster adapter might do the trick for you:
Some public libraries have 3D printers, so you may be able to get one of these printed there if you don't own one.

Note that it's a somewhat delicate design, and can break when you try to install it. It's not meant to be installed and removed repeatedly, and 3D prints are cheap, so rather than put effort into a more complex design, I just decided to quit when I got something that worked, flaws and all.
I really like this idea, but I don't have easy access to a 3D printer. I just would like to purchase something that works and is reliable. Any suggestions? Could I order a few of these from you? I have a newer JuiceBox, but I think the holster part is quite similar to you Clipper Creek unit.

Or Tesla can fix the issue with the charge door trying to close and not reopen on its own. It should retract and reopen if it feels something is in the way.

Also, if the car senses your phone key nearby, it should automatically unlock the charge port so you can remove the adapter if there is no charging current flowing.

Those things would eliminate us from trying to guess what the correct removal protocol is.

Reactions: cubicalclang
I really like this idea, but I don't have easy access to a 3D printer. I just would like to purchase something that works and is reliable. Any suggestions? Could I order a few of these from you? I have a newer JuiceBox, but I think the holster part is quite similar to you Clipper Creek unit.
Why not purchase a separate wall mount holster for the Tesla connector. Many available on Amazon

I use on of these, it's screwed into the wall beside my J1722 charger works perfectly and has held up for a year so far no problem: Tesla Model 3 Charger Adapter Trunk Mount Holder Stand-Black | eBay