Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Poll, How many RWD owners would have waited for the AWD/

If you knew the AWD and Performance AWD were 2-3 months around the corner, would you have waited?

• I would have Waited, I really wanted the AWD

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I am happy with my RWD, No regrets whatsoever

Votes: 42 50.6%
  • I happy with my RWD, but a little more notice would have nice

Votes: 22 26.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am excited that Tesla has the AWD and AWD performance options available now, but their lack of of formal announcements sometimes leads to buyers wishing they had waited a few weeks/months. Quick poll for current owners of the RWD Model 3.

I wanted the awd, but I'm in California and it's not really needed for me.
I'm envious but happy I got my car.

On the bright side , my delivery was rushed and chaotic, so a week after I had my car I noticed EAP was enabled. Free EAP is better than AWD!

I will be curious to see how these results pan out. My lease expires in 5 mths and I am trying to decide what to do. Much talk about new Model S, but could show up randomly, making the cost of buying old tech for $150k to risky to me. I am leaning towards a M3P, but I worry about what changes may be around the corner, HUD, blind spot, phone interface, etc...I know these are first world problems, but I if a meaningful change "pops" up, I will be annoyed. I may just have to sit on the sidelines, get a used car and wait until the dust settles a bit?

If you've been around Tesla six years or so (since 2006, actually), you don't need to be told. Of Course they were going to make AWD and Performance. I didn't want or need either of these. I also didn't want to wait a month or six, and Tesla usually beats their estimates, so that wasn't part of the equation. I've had my car for months now. Great car, no waiting.

I will be curious to see how these results pan out. My lease expires in 5 mths and I am trying to decide what to do. Much talk about new Model S, but could show up randomly, making the cost of buying old tech for $150k to risky to me. I am leaning towards a M3P, but I worry about what changes may be around the corner, HUD, blind spot, phone interface, etc...I know these are first world problems, but I if a meaningful change "pops" up, I will be annoyed. I may just have to sit on the sidelines, get a used car and wait until the dust settles a bit?
I have followed Tesla for about five years. I have owned one for over three (Model S). I pushed by my first purchase back to get autopilot and AWD. New features will come out on a Tesla, that is for certain. I missed AP2, 90kw, 100kw batteries. You can, of course, wait for the next thing. As well you can get a great car now with a Tesla.

Hmm... are we sure about that? Not that I would argue... Tesla to release new Autopilot update and bring back free trials

He plans to bring them back but as far as I’ve read it hasn’t happened yet. Unless it started August 1st deliveries and you’re first to report it.

But there has been multiple reports of mistakes. People getting free EAP but not having paid for it usually if your car was assigned to someone who bought the car with EAP and then didn’t take delivery and got reassigned to you.

I'm a little confused. I wanted AWD, but knew in January that it was coming out mid-year and I would have to wait six months, which was exactly right. I wasn't willing to wait that long, so I don't regret my decision. I'm pretty sure Tesla always said it was going to be coming out when it actually did come out, so I don't understand the "more notice" part. Performance is different, but I never wanted that.

I'm a little confused. I wanted AWD, but knew in January that it was coming out mid-year and I would have to wait six months, which was exactly right. I wasn't willing to wait that long, so I don't regret my decision. I'm pretty sure Tesla always said it was going to be coming out when it actually did come out, so I don't understand the "more notice" part. Performance is different, but I never wanted that.
I think one "problem" is that there was no hint of specs or really cost. All we had was "about 6 months or so and less than $5K." In my case, I thought AWD would probably shave .3 seconds and would be $5K. Had I known it would be .6 seconds and $4k (at one point), I might have waited. That said, I am very happy with my car.

I'm happy with the RWD and wasn't planning on AWD. However, if I would have known it would be 0.6 seconds faster 0-60 and only cost $4k I would have bought it. Hoping they can uncork the RWD ones to get closer to the AWD. They did it for the later S where the 75 was uncorked to 0-60 in 4.3 and the 75D was 4.2 seconds.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Ya I would have liked more information and more notice on AWD. If I had the same info i do today when I placed the order for RWD I would have waited.
That's why I assume that if Tesla felt more confident than the stuff they did for reservation holders, "mid-2018" and "late-2018", they would have given more. It'd potentially get them more AWD revenue (although turns out they probably have enough AWD orders to keep them busy) but it was also contingent on production ramp and design finalization of the AWD going right-enough.