TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quick Question about Short shares and Float (newbie)

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by mdevp, Nov 11, 2014.

1. mdevp

mdevp Member

Confused about this,(last months data), if there are 23m Tesla shares short, 95.7m shares float and 80% of shares are owned by insiders and institutions, how are there 23m shares to short? Newbie here, I've never shorted anything, only bought long and rarely bought a few leaps here and there, thanks.

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I think the simple answer is that once a share is sold short, it can then be lent out to be sold short again by the new owner.

3. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

It's simpler than this. If I'm long, so I own shares, my broker can lend those out to someone who wants to short the stock.

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Negatory. Only margined shares can to loaned to 3rd parties. If you actually own the shares they cannot be loaned out by your broker.
    --

5. FrozenCanuck

FrozenCanuck Member

Shares are not margined. Accounts are margined. But you are right that margin is a required component. There usually needs to be a debit balance in an account to use shares for borrowing.