Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick question: Aquaplaning??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know how much MS ways... but would like to know whether or not, if i turned "slip start" on, then gave it the boot in the heavy rain it would slip or "Burnout". Also whether or not it would cause tire wear. I did this in dry weather the other day and painted the road black, so i assume it would slip... (85D)

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely it will cause tire wear. That's kind of the definition of slipping. Slip start is really only for snow and ice to get you started. The rest of the time it should be off for best performance. It shouldn't do a burnout in rain, it should just slip a bit more before traction control kicks in.

If you perpetually aquaplane from a stop, you wouldn't really go anywhere... friction gets you moving.

Accelerating hard is what I bet chews through tires most about the Model S, not the weight, so if you want to go easy on tires, I'd say resist launching, and especially from a complete stop.

Car's brains will take care of the rest for you.

If you perpetually aquaplane from a stop, you wouldn't really go anywhere... friction gets you moving.

Accelerating hard is what I bet chews through tires most about the Model S, not the weight, so if you want to go easy on tires, I'd say resist launching, and especially from a complete stop.

Car's brains will take care of the rest for you.

Let me clear this up. If i floor it from a stand still while in heavy rain i will still get tire wear (Slip start active) (Rain 0.25 mm)? I apologize for the repeated questions.

Strictly speaking, that's viscoplaning :) Aquaplaning happens when the pressure of the wedge of water in front the tire equals the inflation pressure. When stopped there is no wedge of water. Viscoplaning is when there is something lubricating the tire/road interface preventing the tire from gripping the road.

Is slip start only on the D's? I have never heard of it until last night and I don't have that option (so far) on my P85+.

Re tire wear, I would expect it would be less due to the lubricating factor of the water. Unless you did it for so long as to dry out the pavement. Probably not great for the car in general.

Is slip start only on the D's? I have never heard of it until last night and I don't have that option (so far) on my P85+.

Re tire wear, I would expect it would be less due to the lubricating factor of the water. Unless you did it for so long as to dry out the pavement. Probably not great for the car in general.

Yes. Model S Ds get Slip Start and Model S RWD get the option to turn Traction Control Off.