TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quick question: Aquaplaning??

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Carspotter Daily, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Carspotter Daily

I know how much MS ways... but would like to know whether or not, if i turned "slip start" on, then gave it the boot in the heavy rain it would slip or "Burnout". Also whether or not it would cause tire wear. I did this in dry weather the other day and painted the road black, so i assume it would slip... (85D)

Thanks in advance!

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Absolutely it will cause tire wear. That's kind of the definition of slipping. Slip start is really only for snow and ice to get you started. The rest of the time it should be off for best performance. It shouldn't do a burnout in rain, it should just slip a bit more before traction control kicks in.

3. Carspotter Daily

Okay... if there is a sheet of rain on the ground and you launched with "slip start", i would think it would aquaplane? I may be wrong but doesn't aquaplaning prevent tire wear? Thanks for the advice. :smile:

4. Lex

Lex Member

If you perpetually aquaplane from a stop, you wouldn't really go anywhere... friction gets you moving.

Accelerating hard is what I bet chews through tires most about the Model S, not the weight, so if you want to go easy on tires, I'd say resist launching, and especially from a complete stop.

Car's brains will take care of the rest for you.

5. Carspotter Daily

Let me clear this up. If i floor it from a stand still while in heavy rain i will still get tire wear (Slip start active) (Rain 0.25 mm)? I apologize for the repeated questions.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Strictly speaking, that's viscoplaning :) Aquaplaning happens when the pressure of the wedge of water in front the tire equals the inflation pressure. When stopped there is no wedge of water. Viscoplaning is when there is something lubricating the tire/road interface preventing the tire from gripping the road.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Is slip start only on the D's? I have never heard of it until last night and I don't have that option (so far) on my P85+.

Re tire wear, I would expect it would be less due to the lubricating factor of the water. Unless you did it for so long as to dry out the pavement. Probably not great for the car in general.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Yes. Model S Ds get Slip Start and Model S RWD get the option to turn Traction Control Off.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Thanks! Though I would think with traction off, it would pretty tough to feather the go pedal well enough to get out of snow and ice. Fortunately, I don't deal with that anymore.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

So you can't turn TC fully off on the D cars? Must have missed that.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

That is indeed true. No fully turning off TC in D models (judging by screenshots of the UI in the X reveal to journalists, this applies both to S and X).