Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick question - CCS Adaptor for US Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please help pressure EA to add more Chademo stalls. I have put in a number of calls and requests already. Also, I am hoping that if Tesla owners increase their frequency (a good number of S/X owners already use them if you look at Plugshare), hopefully the economics will drive the availability. The EA chargers tend to be higher power than many other Chademos. I can usually get 53-54 KW sustained, which is better than most Chademos.

Please help pressure EA to add more Chademo stalls. I have put in a number of calls and requests already. Also, I am hoping that if Tesla owners increase their frequency (a good number of S/X owners already use them if you look at Plugshare), hopefully the economics will drive the availability. The EA chargers tend to be higher power than many other Chademos. I can usually get 53-54 KW sustained, which is better than most Chademos.
It's just not in EA's interest to add more CHAdeMO cables to their sites. They were required to supporth CHAdeMO and CCS and technically they have done that. The only possibility is the urban sites. If they see that the CHAdeMO ports in the urban locations are really being heavily used, they could change one or two more chargers per site to have CCS + CHAdeMO from dual CCS. They are primarily building an inter-city network for future EVs. They don't really care about the 1st generation EVs that are on the road today.

I bought the CHAdeMo adapter & have already used it multiple times at several northern Utah locations, including a couple sites with free charging. My one & only (CHAdeMO) experience at my local Wallyworld EA was a total bummer by any measure. Per minute charging basically sucks.

I came across a new local site that only has ChADMo and CCS recently. And was curious if there was any news on the CCS adaptor? I don’t want to spend $500 on a ChADMo adaptor. I’ll never recoup the cost. hoping the CCS will be like $100 then I can justify the purchase more.

I came across a new local site that only has ChADMo and CCS recently. And was curious if there was any news on the CCS adaptor? I don’t want to spend $500 on a ChADMo adaptor. I’ll never recoup the cost. hoping the CCS will be like $100 then I can justify the purchase more.

I am not sure how you can calculate if you would recoup the cost. In some instances Chademo can be a necessity if need a fast charge and there aren't any Superchargers around. It sucks, but sometimes it ain't about recouping the cost but instead how to get a fast charge.

I am not sure how you can calculate if you would recoup the cost. In some instances Chademo can be a necessity if need a fast charge and there aren't any Superchargers around. It sucks, but sometimes it ain't about recouping the cost but instead how to get a fast charge.

As in I don’t go long distances. I only use it locally in so cal to and from work and local errands.
If I can get enough free charge to worth the cost of the adaptor. I def can recoup the cost of a $500 adaptor.

I'm with you on this one. I recently bought the Chademo adapter simply because I'm going on a 700 mile drive with a 250 mile stretch with no tesla charging but has a Chademo charger. The drive has hills so there's no way I'd make it without this. That said, it stung forking out this much money for an adapter I might only use a handful of times. I do have some free Chademo chargers in my area I might try to use to make me feel like I got my moneys worth but I'm not going to go out of my way. The adapter is more or less insurance in case I need a charge in an area with no superchargers.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I do have some free Chademo chargers in my area I might try to use to make me feel like I got my moneys worth but I'm not going to go out of my way. The adapter is more or less insurance in case I need a charge in an area with no superchargers.
If you're in Monterey, CA, you do have a Home Page - DRIVEtheARC free one in Marina. It was only free for CHAdeMO since inception but they semi-recently quietly added free CCS charging. Calif DCFC info - and/or news has some hints for usage in case you haven't downloaded and registered with their app yet.

Re: your road trip, definitely get Plugshare (check the score and recent check-ins at the site) and have plenty of backups. Download apps for and register for all the charging networks in the area.

If you're in Monterey, CA, you do have a Home Page - DRIVEtheARC free one in Marina. It was only free for CHAdeMO since inception but they semi-recently quietly added free CCS charging. Calif DCFC info - and/or news has some hints for usage in case you haven't downloaded and registered with their app yet.

Funny you mention this because I just created my Drive the Arc account and planned on checking this out. I'm actually driving out of state this weekend and I see that Drive the Arc follows I80 quite a while so I might hit it up around Roseville area too on my trip. The one in Marina is not too far from me and in a good area, so it will be good to stop and get food or shop while charging. Thanks for the tips and links

^^^
No prob. Do look at my replies in that thread, as well (e.g. re: bogus "success" indications in their app and sometimes not receiving credit (normally shows up at the 15 minute mark after session end)). It will be disconcerting to receive push alerts and emails from EVgo about how much your session cost.

Even though 50 kW isn't that fast it's better than all of the following: most public J1772 is only 30 amps and often is only 208 volts so about 6 kW at best. If you find 240 volt 30 amps J1772, you'll hit 7.2 kW.

If you got new Tesla, new US-market Teslas for at least the past few months only have 48 amp on-board chargers at best, so even if you find a Destination Charging | Tesla that's 48 amps * 240 volts or a J1772 EVSE that goes that high (rare in public), you'll only hit ~11.52 kW at best.

If you use any of VW-owned Electrify America, they've been stacking the deck in favor of their own cars (e.g. VW, Audi, Porsche) and all their sites only have a single CHAdeMO + many SAE Combo. If that single CHAdeMO is down, you're SOL.

I'm with you on this one. I recently bought the Chademo adapter simply because I'm going on a 700 mile drive with a 250 mile stretch with no tesla charging but has a Chademo charger. The drive has hills so there's no way I'd make it without this. That said, it stung forking out this much money for an adapter I might only use a handful of times. I do have some free Chademo chargers in my area I might try to use to make me feel like I got my moneys worth but I'm not going to go out of my way. The adapter is more or less insurance in case I need a charge in an area with no superchargers.
For a single trip like that, I would have rented a CHAdeMO adapter.

CHAdeMo charging for Tesla - Adapter, Rent by the week

Reactions: theothertom