TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quick Question: European Roadster Standard Audio System

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Dragon, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

Can you tell me what's the name of the current standard audio system for Tesla Roadster 2.5, European version?
    Blaupunkt? JVC? Something else? Can't find it on the internetz.

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

The unit with the 2 DIN nav is an Alpine.

3. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

#3 suxxer, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    The Premium Audio is a Alpine IVA W900 double-din touch-screen unit.

[​IMG]

The Standard Audio is a bit more tricky. Only found two images. Seems to be an Alpine unit too.

Looks like an Alpine iDA-X303...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dragon

Thanks! Yes, that's an Alpine iDA-X303 or maybe an iDA-X305. Can someone confirm that this is indeed the actual choice from Tesla for the european Roadster?

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Tesla Roadster Sport Signature 250 Review | Cars | CNET UK
    [​IMG]

6. Dragon

#6 Dragon, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Thank you TEG. Good news, the iDA-X305 is a bit better than the X303. More output power and minor goodies...

7. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

#7 Eberhard, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    My Alpine IVA W502 is bad to worse. i don't think any alpine is better?

8. Dragon

That's why I opted for the standard one din audio. I will only miss the rear camera.
    The iDA-X305 is not that bad, it's a good system with good sound. Some say there's a problem with connecting iPhones, but I don't have one, so I don't care. Also there is no bluetooth and no CD drive. Don't need them either.
    It's a pity that the display colors are only blue and red, would have wanted a green option for my lightning green Roadster.

9. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

When I hear the radio and the reception goes bad. it produce a lot of disturbing noise instead of simple switch off. and there is no mute button. i have to turn the volume to zero.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I found the car was very scary to back up with out a rear camera, and had one installed as soon as I could.

11. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

I'd considered adding one. I had thought I might need one since the rear window is so small and due to the body sloping down from the roll bar the whole way to the tail, but I've found the visibility to be little, if any, worse than the other roadster's I've owned. So I don't think I'd use a camera if I'd gotten it, but I've also never had a camera, so maybe if I'd already been used to one I'd think differently.

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I dunno, I think it's just unsafe. You can see directly behind you, but not to the sides. After an extremely close call I decided to never again back out of a parking spot until I got a camera installed.

13. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

I can see to the sides during parking better than I can during lane changes on the highway (i.e., more time for a better look, without me moving in the opposite direction), but any safety device that helps some is useful.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I installed the Multivex side mirrors; my visibility for lane changes is excellent. Highly recommended. Most of the time I accelerate into a lane change so they can't hit me anyway. :wink:

15. zack

zack Member

In addition to the backup camera, I had a look-left camera installed in the front of my car. Now I want a right-looking one for one-ways coming from the left. If there's a tall car parked on my right and I'm at a stop sign, one-ways to the left can be deadly. With these front cameras I can peek out and see what's coming. The camera's wide view can see beyond 90 degrees left.

15frjvp.jpg

16. Dragon

Ok, now I have it confirmed from my sales manager. The head unit is an Alpine iDa-X305S, which is the newer version of the iDa305 and almost identical.