Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick question on a Jan 2020 Tesla Model X Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster here and would really appreciate some feedback from the excellent members of this forum. We are in the search for a used 2020 or 2021 Model X (pre-refresh) and came across of one that was manufactured in January 2020. What got us a bit confused is that it says "Long Range Plus" on the car's screen while the original window sticker says it's a "Long Range" version. Furthermore, the range on the original sticker says 328 miles but the car currently has 314 miles of range on a full charge, which seems to imply the original range should be 351 miles, accounting for roughly 10% of range loss after 3 years. Wondering if there were some kind of software updates that changed it from "Long Range" to "Long Range Plus" and increased the range. Thanks a lot first.

Forget that 10% of range loss after 3 years you are using: it is so dependent on a large variety of factors that using that 10% 'rule of thumb' on any one car is futile. I have a 5 year old Model X and it has only lost 3 miles of range in 5 years. I keep it charged to 80%, do about 30% supercharging, charge it to 100% occasionally right before long trips (that's when you get the true top number, everything else is a very rough estimate) but the main reason it is so good is that it is a fairly low mileage vehicle (40K miles) so it has not been charged that many times. The largest factor affecting battery degradation is number of charge/discharge cycles, which should typically be related to total miles of the vehicle, rather than the age of the vehicle.

314 range on that 2020 sounds great to me. And yes, it is difficult/impossible to figure out the 'original' range given the software updates that affected some cars but not others.

Last edited:
Forget that 10% of range loss after 3 years you are using: it is so dependent on a large variety of factors that using that 10% 'rule of thumb' on any one car is futile. I have a 5 year old Model X and it has only lost 3 miles of range in 5 years. I keep it charged to 80%, do about 30% supercharging, charge it to 100% occasionally right before long trips (that's when you get the true top number, everything else is a very rough estimate) but the main reason it is so good is that it is a fairly low mileage vehicle (40K miles) so it has not been charged that many times. The largest factor affecting battery degradation is number of charge/discharge cycles, which should typically be related to total miles of the vehicle, rather than the age of the vehicle.

314 range on that 2020 sounds great to me. And yes, it is difficult/impossible to figure out the 'original' range given the software updates that affected some cars but not others.
10% +/-1% for a 3-year-old car is a pretty good estimation. +/-2% wouldn't be too abnormal either. I'd start to get a little Leary once that estimate goes past -3%.

Preheating the battery with the charger hooked up at 30 amps by defrosting for at least 15 mins makes a difference also. Make sure sure chill mode and range mode is on ..Range mode reduces the ptc heater output. The battery wants to be at least 40F before leaving in the morning.