Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I pull up, place the car in park and my back seat passengers get out. I wait 10 minutes and my passengers return. Is there any way they can get back into the car with out me unlocking the doors. It seems if you do the two finger touch on the front door the handles present themselves, this does not happen if you do two fingers on the back doors. Is this correct?

1. No idea why you would need two fingers.

2. Are the child locks on? That might affect the behaviour. I think the back doors on mine respond to a touch--at least I don't recall them ever not working with a touch, but Tesla may have changed how they work.

I've noticed that since I got the P85D the car doesn't seem to wake from sleep with a touch on the back handles, only the front if it is locked and you have the key fob. Any handle opens when the car is unlocked already, though.

So I pull up, place the car in park and my back seat passengers get out. I wait 10 minutes and my passengers return. Is there any way they can get back into the car with out me unlocking the doors. It seems if you do the two finger touch on the front door the handles present themselves, this does not happen if you do two fingers on the back doors. Is this correct?

You can unlock the doors for them on the touchscreen, use the fob, or quickly put the car in drive then park as they approach. In all case the handle will present themselves.

I'm going to test that on my 85 classic. My passenger always returns to the front door, and just presses the handle (as you described). I'll have her try it on the back one tonight.
I think as long as a fob is in the car, the doors should unlock. Imperical test coming up.

In my car (YMMV), you can hit park again without going back to reverse or drive and the handles will auto-present again. As often as needed.

Cool. I'm going to have to check that on mine. I know for a fact it didn't do that before, but more recent firmware might have enabled it. It just makes sense. Hit the Park button and extend the handles for passengers.

Just tested it, and pressing the parking button while in park does extend all the handles! It never did that before.

Pressing on the back handle when the car is locked with the fob inside also extends the handle ( child proof locks are off on my car ).

It has always worked like that. (At least since July 2013 when I got my car).

I got my car in early 2013 and it definitely did not at that time. In fact, there was a lot of discussion somewhere on these forums about how you had to do the Park-Drive-Park shuffle to extend the handles. It must have come with some firmware that was released around that time, but it wasn't advertised and I never thought to go back and try it.

I got my car in early 2013 and it definitely did not at that time. In fact, there was a lot of discussion somewhere on these forums about how you had to do the Park-Drive-Park shuffle to extend the handles. It must have come with some firmware that was released around that time, but it wasn't advertised and I never thought to go back and try it.

Wow this is great news. Never realized this changed. That was cumbersome. Beauty of firmware updates.

I seem to recall some TMC member suggesting it as a better way to unlock the doors, he e-mailed Tesla about it and within a couple of weeks it was part of the firmware update. Don't remember who, tho.

There was some discussion in this thread where a few people emailed the suggestion to Tesla. A week later someone mentioned in the Firmware-6-1 thread that the feature was there.

Although I don't think that's anywhere near long enough for a new feature to go through regression testing etc, and I know it's been suggested in the past as well...

The idea of having the "Park" button toggle between locked and locked as originally suggested in that thread would be a nice improvement though.