TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quick reference to resolving pulsating air issue cause by liftgate

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Zarwin, May 25, 2015.

1. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

I know there are multiple threads here referencing the pulsating air issue caused by the rear hatch. After thinking I had resolved the issue almost a year ago, I realized that there was an additional adjustment that could be made, and that there was some confusion as to what to adjust and how. So I thought I'd drop this post as a definitive reference for resolving the issue.

Issue
    While driving, especially on rough surfaces, there is an air pressure pulsation that occurs, similar to what happens when one window is partially or completely down while the vehicle travels at high speeds. This pulsation may be very noticeable and annoying to some while being undetectable to others.

Cause
    The rubber stoppers that the rear liftgate rest on are not adjusted properly and the liftgate is vibrating, causing the pulsations.

Fix
    Adjust all four stoppers. Here is a reference pic of the stoppers and their locations.

Tesla-Model-S-rear-hatch-stoppers.jpg

Stopper A adjustment is easy. Get a thin slip of paper and place it on Base A. Close the liftgate. If you can easily slide the paper out, adjust Stopper A out a quarter of a turn and try again. When you can no longer pull the paper out easily, they should be in a good position. Do the same for the other side.

Drive the car around to see how this changed the pulsating issue and then adjust Stopper B if necessary

If you still have a pulsating issue, even a very minor issue (as I did), it will be resolved by adjusting Stopper B. I just extended Stopper B out a couple of turns on each side and the last little bit of pulsating went away completely. It's like a whole new car. I stopped there and didn't try to figure out a test for Stopper B. I'll note that just extending the stoppers all the way out is probably not the best idea, adjust them a little at a time until the issue is resolved.

• Like x 1
  2. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Thanks for the picture and clear description. Seems like something which ought to have been included in the manual.

3. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

I had a ranger out today, and he did this adjustment, hoping to eliminate some wind noise I was still hearing.

I wanted to point out that at least on my P85D, with the automatic lift gate, there are four points of adjustment (not two.)

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Great job clarifying this ZARWIN!

I have not had this problem, but have heard that many have. Your clear and concise pictures make it so easy for anybody needing assistance.

Thank you so much!

5. 1ton

1ton Member

I'm sure others will benefit from this! I had the same issue and I guess many others did as well. It was a slight annoyance but it was annoying none the less. I think there was a video too but this is very helpful.

6. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

#6 Zarwin, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    I guess it wasn't clear that I was referring to all four stopper adjustments, but only show one on each side to keep the image from getting too cluttered. I'll edit to clarify.

EDIT: apparently I can't edit the original post now .. but hopefully it won't be confusing to others

7. Duma

Duma Member

Thanks for the clear description on this post. The fact that there are four adjustment points (2 on each side) was clear to me from the initial post.

I had this problem on my 85D delivered about 3 weeks ago and knew there were adjustment points. However, I only found the 2 adjustment points (B) on the body (this helped a lot) and overlooked the two on base of the liftgate (A). Adjusting these as well seems to fully cure the issue. Not much of an adjustment was needed on A, so those may have been done correctly at the factory and making a significant adjustment on B may have result in stops A needing a touch more.

So if you follow the recommended procedure of adjusting A and then B, recheck A with the paper test if your B adjust was a lot (more than 1/2 turn?).

8. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

Good idea on the re-check! Wish I could edit the original post...

For me it was a severe issue initially due to one of my "A" stoppers being turned all the way in, leaving an air gap between it and the base. For a while I thought there was a major seal/gasket issue with one of the doors or something. Both of my "B" stoppers were also turned all the way in, but I didn't realize they were adjustable until just recently. The "A" stopper adjustment fixed it 90% of the way and the "B" the last 10%....

9. Foodnut

Foodnut Member

My wife has been annoyed at this (it doesn't bother me as much).

I'm definitely going to try this later.

Thanks for the very informative post.