Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick suggestions for buying used model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. Just sharing my experience reg. buying used Model S. I have been doing my research for a month or so understanding the nitty-gritty stuffs. There is a very wide spectrum in terms of the overall experience already shared online. Unfortunately, I also had bunch of hiccups along the way. I live in California(bay area). Placed an order for 2018 Model S with FSD. Scheduled delivery for next week.

Hiccups along the way:
1. Specs based on which the Tesla site filters show a car didn't match with the specs shared by the assigned rep. after "Buy".
2. No communication from the assigned rep. other than just one text saying "Please give me a call if you don't hear back from delivery before so and so".
3. Tried texts, voice messages, emails - No answer.
4. Surprised to see even the folks who work at Tesla aren't super aware of all the features and terms.

What worked:
1. Scheduled a test drive. and met a rep. and exchanged emails. Kept in contact.
2. I was transparent with him that I am not here to buy a new one and not here to waste anyone's time. Told him that if he could help me confirm the specs at least for the used model S, I can proceed forward. He helped me a lot.
3. Also reached out to the "chat" on the used inventory page two or three times to confirm finance and related stuffs about the spec as well.

Suggestions:
1. Double + triple check specs.
2. Don't pay anything other than the deposit online before seeing the car - the ordering process itself was pretty much NNF online (Next - Next - Finish).
3. Understand the feature set evolution per module (MCU, Autopilot, Sound system, ... ) and correlate with model year - Helps a lot.
4. To ensure peace of mind, schedule a test drive, step in and kickstart a conversation with some rep. over there. Definitely helps.
5. Mindset about the process - Works both ways - We walk away with losing the deposit if it doesn't work out well.

Super stoked for the Model S. Will keep this thread posted reg. if I am actually driving the car out on delivery day. Hope this helps. Apologies if any info seems redundant. Please ping if any info is needed reg. specs or anything else. Thanks :)

Hello everyone. Just sharing my experience reg. buying used Model S. I have been doing my research for a month or so understanding the nitty-gritty stuffs. There is a very wide spectrum in terms of the overall experience already shared online. Unfortunately, I also had bunch of hiccups along the way. I live in California(bay area). Placed an order for 2018 Model S with FSD. Scheduled delivery for next week.

Hiccups along the way:
1. Specs based on which the Tesla site filters show a car didn't match with the specs shared by the assigned rep. after "Buy".
2. No communication from the assigned rep. other than just one text saying "Please give me a call if you don't hear back from delivery before so and so".
4. Surprised to see even the folks who work at Tesla aren't super aware of all the features and terms.

What worked:
1. Scheduled a test drive. and met a rep. and exchanged emails. Kept in contact.
2. I was transparent with him that I am not here to buy a new one and not here to waste anyone's time. Told him that if he could help me confirm the specs at least for the used model S, I can proceed forward. He helped me a lot.
3. Also reached out to the "chat" on the used inventory page two or three times to confirm finance and related stuffs about the spec as well.

Suggestions:
2. Don't pay anything other than the deposit online before seeing the car - the ordering process itself was pretty much NNF online (Next - Next - Finish).
3. Understand the feature set evolution per module (MCU, Autopilot, Sound system, ... ) and correlate with model year - Helps a lot.
4. To ensure peace of mind, schedule a test drive, step in and kickstart a conversation with some rep. over there. Definitely helps.
5. Mindset about the process - Works both ways - We walk away with losing the deposit if it doesn't work out well.

Super stoked for the Model S. Will keep this thread posted reg. if I am actually driving the car out on delivery day. Hope this helps. Apologies if any info seems redundant. Please ping if any info is needed reg. specs or anything else. Thanks :)
One thing I didn't see mentioned here that is probably the most important thing when dealing with Tesla:

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!

Seriously, don't trust anyone wearing Tesla attire no matter honest they seem.

@Ostrichsak Yes sir. Thank you very much. Definitely will do that. Few questions:

1. The actual specs were sent over to me as a PDF by my rep. I confirmed only the important items with another on-site tesla rep because my assigned rep wasn't responding. Should I send him over this spec PDF itself and ask him to confirm every item as it is before I step in?
2. I got the warranty info along with the PDF. Should I get anything separately in writing to confirm this?

Would you recommend anything else in addition to this list?

Thank you for taking the time.

Definitely get the specs in writing, especially features they can take away after the purchase such as Ludicrous mode, free supercharging, or various flavors of AP/FSD. Ludicrous mode was taken from my car a few months after purchase, but I was able to get it back by presenting an email from the sales advisor confirming that it had it at purchase.

Definitely get the specs in writing, especially features they can take away after the purchase such as Ludicrous mode, free supercharging, or various flavors of AP/FSD. Ludicrous mode was taken from my car a few months after purchase, but I was able to get it back by presenting an email from the sales advisor confirming that it had it at purchase.
Not just that but any repairs or other promises made at the time of delivery. It's crucial because at some point down the road, after stringing you along for weeks/months someone will tell you that the person who you talked to no longer works there and ask if you have what they promised in writing.

Hiccups along the way:

What worked:

Suggestions:

I too just purchased a used Model S and absolutely love the car. I attempted to purchase one through Tesla but kept having problems. I found one I really liked in the color I wanted and features but was told I couldn’t pick it up, it would be 14 to 28 days for delivery, and for some odd reason they said I had to pay sales tax in two states if I picked it up. Tesla would not deliver in my state so I still would’ve had to drive 450 miles to pick it up and pay $500 for shipping. All of this was by chatting and when I asked to speak to a representative I was put on a list to call back. Five days went by and there was no call. I gave up found another Model S at a private dealer and purchased it and had it delivered in two days without paying sales tax in two states. It did take Tesla five more days to assign ownership. Therefore I couldn’t take it on a trip I was taking because I had no access to superchargers. It was a fiasco from the beginning. My message to anyone buying a Tesla, be prepared to wait an excessive amount of time to even get small stuff done if Tesla has to do it. I don’t understand how they even stay in business with the business model they use. Every time I talked with them they tried to switch me over to a new one with fewer features than I was looking to buy. And when I wasn’t interested they lost interest and wouldn’t help me with the used purchase. Now I’m on vacation two states away without the car reading the online manual and anxious to actually use the car. The dealer purchased a car from was absolutely wonderful. He answered all my questions and returned all my calls. He also gave me a military discount Tesla doesn’t offer. My advice is to be prepared to buy a new one if you want the red carpet treatment or be prepared for a lot of aggravation if you don’t no matter who you buy from from. Tesla finally called back the day the car was delivered a week and a half later