Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick supercharger question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bangs are the metal cover sheet over the batteries, moving as the batteries heat up and expand, a bit like the clicking you get on the lid of a jar. The vibration is when the fans are going at full-pelt trying to cool the batteries down again ( by cooling the coolant and pumping it around the radiator, batteries and the super-bottle. Or in newer cars the heat-pump and the octo-valve )

• Informative
Reactions: 26ct2143
The bangs are the metal cover sheet over the batteries, moving as the batteries heat up and expand, a bit like the clicking you get on the lid of a jar. The vibration is when the fans are going at full-pelt trying to cool the batteries down again ( by cooling the coolant and pumping it around the radiator, batteries and the super-bottle. Or in newer cars the heat-pump and the octo-valve )
Thanks for that, having come from a leaf, that would worry me.
(leaf makes no noises)
(but battery gets too hot)

• Love
Reactions: MDABC
I need to stand up for the Leaf - I have had a 1st gen made in Japan and a 1.5 gen made in Sunderland (which I still have) niether have had any battery problems. On both I have rapid charged soemtimes 3 times in a day and not had any temperature problems (mind you I do live in Scotland!).

On the Tes when supercharging I have never had 150kW, rarely 130kW and mostly see the car turn down the rate for some reason or the other. Whereas the Leaf just sits at 50kW until around 90% charged and then a gradual ramp down to nearly nothing.

In the Leaf when rapid charging I can take a nap in the car - in the Tes all the noises keep my eyes open.

• Informative
Reactions: MacPaul
I need to stand up for the Leaf - I have had a 1st gen made in Japan and a 1.5 gen made in Sunderland (which I still have) niether have had any battery problems. On both I have rapid charged soemtimes 3 times in a day and not had any temperature problems (mind you I do live in Scotland!).
I have the ver2 2018 leaf 40kwh, and to be fair to it, I think it's great, no wonky panels etc everything just works. OK it doesn't do fancy stuff like a M3. But I love it for nipping to the shops, feels much easier to use in car parks than my M3.
Long journeys tend to be more of an issue. I did go to France in it and did 700miles in 1 trip. You really can only supercharge it twice in 24 hours (otherwise battery gets too hot and it'll then supercharge at about 20kw). But following that rule, you get 150miles 120miles 120miles in 1 day. Once you've done that much your pushing it rather. But not many people will do that often. But to do the above you have to run the battery till it's almost completely flat before charging, like 2%, On the France trip I went lower at times, lol. Was a bit stressful and did have to hypermile at times due to broken chargers etc.

I don’t regularly supercharge (today being my 2nd time).... but I noticed that there is a large vibration and occasional popping from under the car. Is that normal?

Yes ... normal. They also have a pop/bang occasionally when changing significant gradients on the road ... equivalent of your ears popping when driving in the hills! There was a software update last year that greatly reduced occurrences but it still happens occasionally. Aside from the metal expansion issue there are some pressure release valves apparently.

But if you smell burning, open door and run asap

Haha. Thanks all, that’s reassuring.

On a side note managed to get 140kwh got a charge from 17% to 90% in 30 mins or so... unbelievable in my eyes.
yeah the lower you go down to the higher the charge rate.
cos I come from a leaf with about 120-150 mile range, I always ran it to about 2% on long runs, else you always stopping to charge. That way you max out the charge rate, but it's living dangerous in all honesty.

Haha. Thanks all, that’s reassuring.

On a side note managed to get 140kwh got a charge from 17% to 90% in 30 mins or so... unbelievable in my eyes.

I think the fact it can vary is something that takes time to learn. Sounds more inline tho.

Low as you like to around 70% is generally the way to go for speed. Starts to drop off quite a lot then and always using the nav :)