Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm a student researching Tesla as a subject for the Extended Essay and to conduct some primary research, I'd extremely appreciate it if you could answer my survey.

It won't take long and will go a long way for me to be successful in my Essay.

Here is the link: Quick Survey about Tesla Models

Please let me know if you have any questions, thank you so much!

I tried to take your survey. Under "What model do you have?" you fail to list the Roadster. The survey would not allow me to submit without answering this question. Bad survey. There are also several typographical/spelling errors.

Reactions: boaterva
...the survey...

It's a serious and obvious omission to skip an option:

"Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

as an answer for a reason to drive a Tesla.

Addendum:

I bought my Model S 5 years ago and the maximum answer is 3 years.

What's going on?

Is there some bias to rewrite history with a survey here?

Last edited:

"Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy."

Addendum:

What's going on?

Clearly, the survey was thrown together quickly and with very little thought. They couldn't even be bothered to correct the spelling mistakes. (Or they don't know how to spell.) I mean, they didn't even list the Roadster under "What Tesla do you own?" for crying out loud!

Clearly, the survey was thrown together quickly and with very little thought. They couldn't even be bothered to correct the spelling mistakes. (Or they don't know how to spell.) I mean, they didn't even list the Roadster under "What Tesla do you own?" for crying out loud!

Hi Daniel, to answer your original point, I purposely did not include the Roadster as it is not currently sold in the Tesla store. Furthermore, my research should be current and because the majority of Tesla owners do not own the Roadster, I did not feel it was necessary to include this option. However, I can see that you think this is a mistake so I'll take that into consideration and add the option for the Roadster, and I apologize for not having included it originally.

In addition, could you let me know what are the spelling mistakes I've made? I did look over my survey multiple times because this is a very important essay for my diploma so please help me fix my mistakes, and I apologize for having committed them in the first place.

Addendum:

What's going on?

Hi Tam, I realize that I should have included Tesla's mission as an option for a reason to drive a Tesla but it did not occur to me in the moment, presumably because I had included it in the previous question (which is by no means an excuse and I'm aware of that) but that is why I included the "other" option. I wanted to make sure that my survey was not too long to bore forum readers, and I can't possibly guess every answer so I apologize for not including it but I ask you please to write it in the "other" section.

To answer your other point, I'm not trying to rewrite history and I don't believe there's any bias anywhere, I'm just thinking about the majority of Tesla users. To this extent, I would argue that the majority of Tesla owners have not owned a Tesla vehicle for over 5 years, so including an option that specific and to that extent should not be necessary. This is supported by the fact that I've so far only received one response of a Tesla owner who's owned a Tesla model for over 3 years. Nonetheless, I'd really appreciate it if you could include this in the "Any additional comments?" question to enhance my research! Thank you :)

Hi Daniel, to answer your original point, I purposely did not include the Roadster as it is not currently sold in the Tesla store. Furthermore, my research should be current and because the majority of Tesla owners do not own the Roadster, I did not feel it was necessary to include this option. However, I can see that you think this is a mistake so I'll take that into consideration and add the option for the Roadster, and I apologize for not having included it originally.

In addition, could you let me know what are the spelling mistakes I've made? I did look over my survey multiple times because this is a very important essay for my diploma so please help me fix my mistakes, and I apologize for having committed them in the first place.

By leaving out the Roadster under "What Tesla do you own?" and at the same time requiring an answer to the question, you made it impossible for me to submit the survey. If you didn't want Roadster owners to answer the survey, you should have said so in your post asking people to take your survey. Or at least you should have said in the introduction to the survey, "If the only Tesla you own is the Roadster, we are not interested in what you have to say. Please don't bother filling out the survey."

"It's" is a contraction of the two words "it is." "Its" is the possessive form. You use the wrong form throughout the "What caught your attention..." question.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak and MG22
By leaving out the Roadster under "What Tesla do you own?" and at the same time requiring an answer to the question, you made it impossible for me to submit the survey. If you didn't want Roadster owners to answer the survey, you should have said so in your post asking people to take your survey. Or at least you should have said in the introduction to the survey, "If the only Tesla you own is the Roadster, we are not interested in what you have to say. Please don't bother filling out the survey."

"It's" is a contraction of the two words "it is." "Its" is the possessive form. You use the wrong form throughout the "What caught your attention..." question.

I understand. It's not that I don't want Roadster owners to answer the survey, it's just that I didn't expect there to be any.

In regards to the grammar, you're absolutely right and I'll fix it immediately. Thank you for your help! :)

I understand. It's not that I don't want Roadster owners to answer the survey, it's just that I didn't expect there to be any.

In regards to the grammar, you're absolutely right and I'll fix it immediately. Thank you for your help! :)

You're welcome.

And there are 2,500 of us. Well, there were that many Roadsters built. Perhaps some are out of service. But the Roadster is the iconic Tesla, being the first and most distinctive. You can see on TMC that there's still plenty of activity in the Roadster forum. Good luck with your survey.

Reactions: dhrivnak and MG22
...it's just that I didn't expect there to be any....

It is your survey so you have the right to do whatever you wish and you don't have to justify at all because what ownership is all about.

However, if you don't make a disclaimer in advance, people might think it is a democracy and they have the right for inputs and criticism.

Back to the topic of research.

It is fair that you don't expect any Roadster so you don't include it.

However, even though few in number, Roadster is still alive and active today.

It is the reason why Tesla is still alive today.

Tesla Roadster is a perfect example of voluntary Robin Hood to voluntarily distribute wealth from Roadster owners in order to subsidize the future generations of Model S, X and now 3.

Its current role is not forgotten as the press is still covering it as late as last month:

Tesla Roadster 3.0: the electric car that sparked a revolution, revisited

Reactions: dhrivnak
...This is supported by the fact that I've so far only received one response of a Tesla owner who's owned a Tesla model for over 3 years...

As a researcher, I would not deny any input to challenge my assumption.

If I assume that most people don't own a Tesla for over 3 years, I would still provide that answer as an option to prove that my assumption is correct.

However, you restrict the choices down to a maximum of 3 years then there is no way to prove that your assumption is correct.

Again, it is your research, you don't have to make excuses for the way you do it.

But if you want to make excuses, they need to make sense!

Reactions: dhrivnak
Its current role is not forgotten as the press is still covering it as late as last month:

Tesla Roadster 3.0: the electric car that sparked a revolution, revisited

Wow, I did not know they were offering new battery packs for the Roadster! Great article, it was an interesting read.

However, you restrict the choices down to a maximum of 3 years then there is no way to prove that your assumption is correct.

That's very true, but if I were to add options for a larger number of years say 5 years, I would have to include 3 ~ 4 years, 4 ~ 5 years, and then where would I go until? I could go up to 9 years as that's when the Roadsters were first produced but it is such a small percentage of Tesla owners that it would be unnecessary to include so many options, especially as that is not the most important question in my survey.

Hopefully, I've clarified for you why I did limit the options to 3 years and more.

Again, it is your research, you don't have to make excuses for the way you do it.
But if you want to make excuses, they need to make sense!

I'm not trying to make excuses, just explaining to you how my thought process went because I feel it's important that I at least try and explain myself, I don't want you to think I'm "rewriting history." :)

The problem with the design of the survey is that it will not accept submissions that leave a question unanswered. I would suggest that every question should include the option for "Other" with a space to fill in what the Other consists of. Then you don't need to list all models; people can type in their model. You don't need to list every possible time frame; people can type in their time frame. Etc. That's just good survey design.

Of course it's your survey and you can do whatever you like with it. But it's just bad form to ask people to fill in a survey and then have the survey refuse to accept the submission because their answer to a question is not available.

Note that your survey is actually more the norm than the exception: Most of the on-line surveys I encounter include at least one, and sometimes more than one, question that I cannot answer honestly. I either have to give a false answer, or my submission is not accepted. Anybody can create a survey in minutes. It takes some thought to design a survey so that you actually get meaningful information.

Reactions: MG22