Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick tip: a simple voice command to find places near you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another Tesla tip: a simple voice command to find places near you without taking your hands off the wheel!

Note: if you are one of the people who knew about this feature - I'd love to hear more tips that you can suggest for everyone. But please remember that some people may not know what you already know, this video is for them. Also, this video is about 90 seconds long so if you don't want to spend that much time to find out about this one helpful tip - you are free to simply skip the video :) Enjoy!

Video link:

Another Tesla tip: a simple voice command to find places near you without taking your hands off the wheel!

Note: if you are one of the people who knew about this feature - I'd love to hear more tips that you can suggest for everyone. But please remember that some people may not know what you already know, this video is for them. Also, this video is about 90 seconds long so if you don't want to spend that much time to find out about this one helpful tip - you are free to simply skip the video :) Enjoy!

Video link:

I voted dislike because instead of making people watch a 90-sec video, you could have just typed out the keyphrase in 1/10 the number of words you spent writing the post...
Nobody made you watch the video. I appreciate you suggesting how to manage my time but video is the media I chose to create and it is up to you and the rest to decide if you want to watch it or not. Did you not read my entire post?

we had this same discussion the first time he posted one of these "info" vids.
I believe it is just an attempt at generating clicks.
stealth spam
This time around I've added the note for people like yourself so you don't have to waste your time if you don't want to. It took me a while to research some of these tips, and video is the media I chose to communicate with. The "tips" videos get the most "thank you, I did not know this" replies and feedback that I get out of all videos that I make. So what's "waste of time" in your book is a useful tip in many others'. Do you see what I'm saying? Here's the note from my original post that I intended for people like yourself:

Nobody made you watch the video. I appreciate you suggesting how to manage my time but video is the media I chose to create and it is up to you and the rest to decide if you want to watch it or not. Did you not read my entire post?

I never watched your video. So I don't even know what the feature or keyphrase is that you're talking about.

This time around I've added the note for people like yourself so you don't have to waste your time if you don't want to. It took me a while to research some of these tips, and video is the media I chose to communicate with. The "tips" videos get the most "thank you, I did not know this" replies and feedback that I get out of all videos that I make. So what's "waste of time" in your book is a useful tip in many others'. Do you see what I'm saying? Here's the note from my original post that I intended for people like yourself:

How is anyone supposed to know if they "already knew the tip" if they don't watch the video, since you haven't typed it out?? You're effectively "making" us watch it to find out what you're talking about, and then when people here complain about watching a 90-sec video, you tell them "hey, no one made you watch it..."

This time around I've added the note for people like yourself s

here's some key words:
self-right·eous
ˌself ˈrīCHəs/
adjective
  1. having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior.
    "self-righteous indignation and complacency"
    synonyms: sanctimonious, holier-than-thou, self-satisfied, smug, priggish, complacent, pious, moralizing, preachy, superior, hypocritical;
    informalgoody-goody
nar·cis·sis·tic
ˌnärsəˈsistik/
adjective
  1. having an excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
    "a narcissistic actress"
    synonyms: vain, self-loving, self-admiring, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, conceited, self-centered, self-regarding, egotistic, egotistical, egoistic;
    informalfull of oneself
    "she was never happy in the narcissistic life that her press agent and manager had crafted for her"
spam·mer
ˈspamər/
noun
  1. a person or organization that sends irrelevant or unsolicited messages over the Internet, typically to large numbers of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.
    "common traps that spammers use to acquire email addresses"

Four posts and you never posted the phrase....

I watched the video just to spare the rest of you from wasting your time. The phrase apparently is "where is the nearest McDonalds?" It's a tutorial on how to find locations with the voice command button instead of typing it in the search menu on the touchscreen. Raise your hand if you don't know how to use the voice command in your Tesla. Alex I think you got potential, but not if you think we're all idiots. Try to be a lot more creative. Please don't post videos of you reading the user manual to us.

I have a Tesla for almost two years and found this tip helpful. It reminded me that I don't have to type in "Starbucks" and can instead use voice command.

I also like the fact that the video is very slick and looks well made. Alex clearly went to great lengths to produce the video. Looks very professional.

I wish we could all be less aggressive. Let him post his videos. Skip them if you don't like them. I liked it.

Reactions: RacerX and Doctt
I have a Tesla for almost two years and found this tip helpful. It reminded me that I don't have to type in "Starbucks" and can instead use voice command.

I also like the fact that the video is very slick and looks well made. Alex clearly went to great lengths to produce the video. Looks very professional.

I wish we could all be less aggressive. Let him post his videos. Skip them if you don't like them. I liked it.
Apparently Alex has more than one account. Hi Alex, nice try.

Apparently Alex has more than one account. Hi Alex, nice try.
Come on guys, this is really silly. My name is Karl, not Alex. I own a Model S 70 since October 2015 and received my Model X 100D today at the Fremont factory (see attached picture). I came to the forum tonight to get in touch with Norm to order his cubby drawer and came across this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 53
Let's try again:

If you want to find where nearby grocery stores or Chipotles or gas stations (because you need to put air in your tires!) are you can just say:

"Navigate to Chipotles"
Or
"Where is grocery store?"
Or "drive to gas station"

Instead of typing in search box.

And if you want to call one of those places instead of driving to them pretend you want to navigate to them first and then select it and it will usually have a phone number that you can select to call

I don't understand why anyone would choose to convey such information in a video. I certainly don't choose to consume such information via video.

I didn't watch your video as I didn't want to launch it while at work. My take is that if you're trying to help the community, post it. If you're selecting video as your communication medium, that's your right. But you're also generating revenue off of it, which makes you soliciting.

Imagine if other media outlets came here to post links to their articles. Or financial institutions: Tip: How to get approved for a loan for your Tesla, with a link to their website for a tip and a loan application.

I'm sure the moderators would delete those posts in a heartbeat

• Love
Reactions: alcibiades