Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Tip for Funky License Bolt Removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had not ordered the tool, as I had hope the dealer would either take out the 2 bolts, or let me use their tool for a minute. Neither happened, so I drove home from pickup with the front plate on.

I have a 45°, but not a 90° needle nose pliers. Tried for 5 minutes, but the 45° did not really work.

I was going to order the tool, but with standard shipping it was 2+ weeks estimate, so decided to give it more 1 shot.

Giving it a little more thinking before going back to the aggravating 45 pliers, I tried this:

11/32 6-point Socket, and put a rubber band partially inside the socket. Had both bolts off in less than a minute.

I would have had no issue ordering the tool, had I done it 2 weeks ahead of my delivery, but being an optimist, I was hoping the delivery center would be nice and take the 2 bolts out.

Anyways - just wanted to pass along the 11/32 socket and rubber band trick, and maybe help someone else in a bind, that did not want to let their glue sit on the bumper any longer than necessary.

My opinion - Front looks so much better with no plate holder.

BTW - After getting my fingers pinched from the 45° pliers multiple times as my fingers slipped and finally gloating in my victory as the plate holder lay next to my new Tesla -- my wife comes outside and says, "why did you take that zero emission plate off the front, I liked that". Ugh. It's NOT going back on ...

~Scott