Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick trip from Bay Area to LA and back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Next week I need to be in LA for one day and was thinking of driving my 85 Model S down and back rather than spending hundreds of dollars on a last minute airline ticket purchase. Plus, it's a great excuse to get some Model S driving in! Assuming no traffic holdups, what's the fastest way to do this? Drive 75 mph or faster and supercharge three times at Gilroy, Harris Ranch, and Tejon? Or go slower and skip Gilroy, maybe by way of 580 instead of 101, just charging at Harris and Tejon? (Or charge at Gilroy but skip Harris?)

In other words, do you think fast driving plus three supercharges is better than slower driving with only two supercharge stops?

I'll be leaving from right near the SFO airport area.

Also, what's the best case scenario for how long this will take? Do you think it can be done in under 7 hours?

We had a discussion about this over on this thread. Bottom line is that you can drive pretty much as fast as you want as long as you can reach a supercharger for your next charge. So: drive fast; supercharge as needed. And arrange to have a low SOC when you supercharge: it's faster.