Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quickest state inspection ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the 3 needed to get it's WV inspection sticker finally. Took it into a local Chevy/Toyota dealer that we use to have that done. The check in person asked what it was and then said she couldn't find it in her system so she was going to call it a Camry. I warned her that it was going to be different than what she was used to. She asked for the keys and I handed the card to her which she couldn't quite get over. Then she needed the mileage and sat in the seat, took a look at the lack of gauges and said, we're just going to do a light check and call this done. She had one of the techs walk around and we did the light check and he slapped a sticker on it. He asked what options it had so I rattled off some features. When I got to AP, he asked "so it turns the wheel and everything!?" I explained it a bit more, but really wanted to do a Jeff Foxworthy response and say, "Nope! You can only use it on straight roads!"

I was out of there in less than 10 minutes.

This reminded me when I took my wife's MX to patch a tire at the local tire center. The receptionist asked for the key so I gave her the fob. She took and walked outside toward the car and the door opened for her. She was quite shocked at that. Then she stepped in (brave lady) and came out about 10 seconds later. She walked back to the office and handed the fob back to me..."I don't really want to touch anything inside, could you go get me the odometer reading?" So I opened the app on my phone and showed her the odo reading LOL.

This reminded me when I took my wife's MX to patch a tire at the local tire center. The receptionist asked for the key so I gave her the fob. She took and walked outside toward the car and the door opened for her. She was quite shocked at that. Then she stepped in (brave lady) and came out about 10 seconds later. She walked back to the office and handed the fob back to me..."I don't really want to touch anything inside, could you go get me the odometer reading?" So I opened the app on my phone and showed her the odo reading LOL.
"I'm sorry, but I'll have to enter the Jeffries Tube and check the plasma conduits and anti-matter mix for that, give me 20 minutes."

Last edited:
"I'm sorry, but I'll have to enter the Jeffries Tube and check the plasma conduits and anti-matter mix for that give me 20 minutes for that."

Don’t forget to check the dilithium crystals and recalibrate the isolinear chips :D

NJ doesn’t even do inspections on EVs. Having no inspection sticker on the windshield is quite nice!

Reactions: jsrawa and 1375mlm
NJ doesn’t even do inspections on EVs. Having no inspection sticker on the windshield is quite nice!
I actually found that out in this forum. When I picked mine up in Cherry Hill, NJ I asked the SC why it didn’t have an inspection sticker already on (as all new ICE cars do when purchased at the dealerships)? I was told I’d have to get it inspected on my own. Well that was complete BS as NJ doesn’t require EV inspection.

I actually found that out in this forum. When I picked mine up in Cherry Hill, NJ I asked the SC why it didn’t have an inspection sticker already on (as all new ICE cars do when purchased at the dealerships)? I was told I’d have to get it inspected on my own. Well that was complete BS as NJ doesn’t require EV inspection.

That’s reason right there! NJ seems very EV-friendly. No inspection, no sales tax, HOV lane access on the ‘pike ....... can’t wait to get mine.

I went to the state inspection that Tesla uses in Pittsburgh PA for their own vehicles at their showroom. I watched them throughout the entire process, and when they took it for a test drive I watched on my phone what they did. It sat in the bay with nobody looking at it for 15 minutes, then some guy took it on a test drive around the block (took a whole 3-4 minutes), came back to the bay and parked it. Nobody looked at the vehicle even once. They put a sticker and it passed. Nothing was done other than driving it around the block. They recorded on the sticker that they took a wheel off and inspected it, they did nothing of the sort, I watched them continuously. Complete farce, they state got their money, the shop got their money, nothing was done except the environment had one less ICE car on the road.

I went to the state inspection that Tesla uses in Pittsburgh PA for their own vehicles at their showroom. I watched them throughout the entire process, and when they took it for a test drive I watched on my phone what they did. It sat in the bay with nobody looking at it for 15 minutes, then some guy took it on a test drive around the block (took a whole 3-4 minutes), came back to the bay and parked it. Nobody looked at the vehicle even once. They put a sticker and it passed. Nothing was done other than driving it around the block. They recorded on the sticker that they took a wheel off and inspected it, they did nothing of the sort, I watched them continuously. Complete farce, they state got their money, the shop got their money, nothing was done except the environment had one less ICE car on the road.
Isn't rust the main reason for inspection where they salt the roads?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Isn't rust the main reason for inspection where they salt the roads?

Not here in NJ. They used to do all sorts of tests on cars when you brought them in for inspection (brake tests, emissions tests, etc) but they cut back on all of that here years ago to reduce costs. Now they just plug into the OBD2 port and read what the computer reports is going on with the car. Basically if your check engine light is on you’re going to fail inspection in NJ. I’ve never heard of looking for rust as part of any inspection.

In EV-unfriendly North Carolina, there are two levels of inspection: a safety check for (primarily) working lights, steering, windows, and tires, and in about a fourth of the State’s counties, an emissions test accomplished by OBDII plug-in and review. The first is about $14 and the other about $30. New vehicles and EV’s don’t need the 2nd but all get the first. And then when you go to the DMV to get your renewal for registration and tag, you get slapped with a $130 electric vehicle fee, allegedly because you are not paying gas taxes. This year in July will be my first shot at the Model 3 inspection process. Should be a fascinating experience, coupled of course with twice the EV fee for the Model 3 and my Nissan LEAF. Can’t wait.

In EV-unfriendly North Carolina, there are two levels of inspection: a safety check for (primarily) working lights, steering, windows, and tires, and in about a fourth of the State’s counties, an emissions test accomplished by OBDII plug-in and review. The first is about $14 and the other about $30. New vehicles and EV’s don’t need the 2nd but all get the first. And then when you go to the DMV to get your renewal for registration and tag, you get slapped with a $130 electric vehicle fee, allegedly because you are not paying gas taxes. This year in July will be my first shot at the Model 3 inspection process. Should be a fascinating experience, coupled of course with twice the EV fee for the Model 3 and my Nissan LEAF. Can’t wait.

FWIW I'm in NC too, and already had to go through an inspection.

Because Tesla failed to get it inspected before they delivered it to me (which is illegal, but Teslas been doing a ton of illegal delivery stuff).

When I spoke to them about the lack of inspection (the reason NC wasn't providing me with non-temp tags) they told me I'd have to go get it done over in Raleigh (not AT Tesla mind you- they can't do them there) at the Snappy Lube off 540.

They had it maybe 10 minutes, didn't drive it other than in/out of the bay, and mentioned I was just one of many cars Tesla hadn't bothered to inspect before delivery and I should call the DMV to report them for it. (I didn't because I'd prefer the folks holding my car warranty not get hit with huge fines, but it reinforced my notion of Tesla being a great engineering firm and an incompetent actual "business")

Regarding the $130 fee- I mean, they're right aren't they? NC funds their roads with the gasoline tax, which EVs don't pay at all.... so you have to have some method of capturing funding from EVs using those same roads.

NC gas tax is like 35 cents a gallon last I looked, so $130 is only about 371 gallons of gasoline worth of tax... I don't know about you, but I sure went through a ton more gas than that each year an in ICE vehicle, so I'm still paying a ton less road taxes than I used to.

Reactions: COrocket

Because Tesla failed to get it inspected before they delivered it to me (which is illegal, but Teslas been doing a ton of illegal delivery stuff).

When I spoke to them about the lack of inspection (the reason NC wasn't providing me with non-temp tags) they told me I'd have to go get it done over in Raleigh (not AT Tesla mind you- they can't do them there) at the Snappy Lube off 540.

They had it maybe 10 minutes, didn't drive it other than in/out of the bay, and mentioned I was just one of many cars Tesla hadn't bothered to inspect before delivery and I should call the DMV to report them for it. (I didn't because I'd prefer the folks holding my car warranty not get hit with huge fines, but it reinforced my notion of Tesla being a great engineering firm and an incompetent actual "business")

Regarding the $130 fee- I mean, they're right aren't they? NC funds their roads with the gasoline tax, which EVs don't pay at all.... so you have to have some method of capturing funding from EVs using those same roads.

NC gas tax is like 35 cents a gallon last I looked, so $130 is only about 371 gallons of gasoline worth of tax... I don't know about you, but I sure went through a ton more gas than that each year an in ICE vehicle, so I'm still paying a ton less road taxes than I used to.

Don't they charge tax on the electricity you use? It's not as if the road tax actually goes to pay for roads -- it goes into general revenue along with the tax on your electricity bill. But perhaps it's different where you live.

Same in WV. EVs pay $150 more than ICE vehicles for annual registration and I agree that I don't mind paying my share toward road maintenance even if it only takes the argument away from the opposition. Plus, I have solar so I don't pay any taxes on electricity. Power to the people!