Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quiet Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many of you I own and "love" my 2018 Model 3 but I want more cargo space so I have a Y on order. However I have found my M3LR to be quite loud as compared to my 2016 BMW X3 SUV. I drive the same route from Bellingham, WA to the Skagit Regional airport several times a week and with my M3 I wear ear buds when I listen to audiobooks and I don't feel the need when driving my BMW. I would pay extra for an option to have a quieter Tesla MY but I don't want an S or X. I wonder if Tesla has considered a $2000-$4000 "Quiet Package". I for one would purchase this option on the Y. Anyone know how to make suggestions for Tesla engineering/marketing?

I would rather have them improve their fit and finish to minimize panel gaps and add more door,glass sealants ..this would reduce wind and road noise...and for an expensive car ...this should be bare minimum... Honda adding an acoustic windshield to their touring model makes sense for a sub 30K car... I wouldn't want to buy any 'additional packages' for an already expensive car.

Reactions: preilly44
Like many of you I own and "love" my 2018 Model 3 but I want more cargo space so I have a Y on order. However I have found my M3LR to be quite loud as compared to my 2016 BMW X3 SUV. I drive the same route from Bellingham, WA to the Skagit Regional airport several times a week and with my M3 I wear ear buds when I listen to audiobooks and I don't feel the need when driving my BMW. I would pay extra for an option to have a quieter Tesla MY but I don't want an S or X. I wonder if Tesla has considered a $2000-$4000 "Quiet Package". I for one would purchase this option on the Y. Anyone know how to make suggestions for Tesla engineering/marketing?
Also....per the following....the above highlighted ain't allowed: RCW 46.37.480: Television viewers—Earphones.

Edit...more info: Headphones while driving – not in Washington State! |

Reactions: Airgetlam
Also....per the following....the above highlighted ain't allowed: RCW 46.37.480: Television viewers—Earphones.

Edit...more info: Headphones while driving – not in Washington State! |

WOW I didn't really realize this. Well then even more, weather or not I accept delivery of a Model Y will depend on the noise level. I know some say that wind noise is just more apparent in an electric car where road and wind noise isn't masked by the ICE. However I know for sure that my M3 is louder OVERALL than my BMW X3. So much for being an early adopter….

Like many of you I own and "love" my 2018 Model 3 but I want more cargo space so I have a Y on order. However I have found my M3LR to be quite loud as compared to my 2016 BMW X3 SUV. I would pay extra for an option to have a quieter Tesla MY but I don't want an S or X. I wonder if Tesla has considered a $2000-$4000 "Quiet Package". I for one would purchase this option on the Y.

Agree. I love my 2018 LR RWD Model 3. However, the ride quality of my Model 3 is too harsh over bumps and potholes for my liking. I'm very interested in the Model Y as well. But will not order one until there's confirmation from early adopters that the noise and ride quality are much improved.

Reactions: Potpourri
Was that the Bjorn Nyland video?. Sounds familiar
Think he used acoustical dampening pads professionally installed in door panels etc. and it was not a $36 buck amazon event. My hope is Tesla got the message and have worked out a fix for the Y as I have noted this is a repeated common complaint with the 3's. With the cost of these vehicles one would assume they should come with some noise dampening and cabin isolation employed. They could get rid of 5 or so of the 10 speakers and put the savings it into making the cab quieter and air tight from my point of view. That, however, will most likely be met with resistance from our youth ;-). Who can drive a beer can as long as it goes bump bump from the trunk down the road.

Reactions: instigator
Tesla will never offer this but you can take your vehicle to an independent shop to have sound-deadening materials installed. Probably for less then $2-4K. Or you could swap back to BMW. I did and have not looked back.

Monro notes during his teardown videos that Tesla is constantly advancing their acoustic treatments in newer builds. He has noted additional dampening materials to reduce drumming and dampening vibrations. Sees improvements in firewall construction and even foam blocks stuffed into cavities to reduce reverberations.

Elon mentions that he is lobbying heavily to allow side view mirrors to be replaced with much smaller cameras. Says this would cut down wind noise significantly.

Several recent posts from owners of both, say the Y is much quieter inside than Model 3.

In my X wind noise is very quiet. Biggest differences I see in traveling noise is from different road surfaces. Some of the asphalt roads are significantly noisier than others. Seem that running on some of the newer pavements can make the car almost silent.

RPM Tesla just came out with their Road Noise reduction package. Not sure how well it works?

Model 3 & Y Road Noise Reduction Kit -Gen. 2 (10 Pieces 2 Trunks) $45 w/ 20% Off

Hmmm! Instead of seeing white paint between the fender and door, now you see a black rubber strip. Don't think that would be aesthetically pleasing. If they made the rubber strips to match the paint color, that might be better, but than again have to worry about color fading. Also, I wonder how long will those seals will last especially during hot summers and cold winters (expansion and contraction) water and ice? Tesla should just add additional lightweight soundproofing from the factory.